No announcement yet.

Back Alive or Maybe Dead [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batman? Really? Why not the Lone Ranger or the Ghost Rider, you know, something Western?

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
    An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

Swifthand Ash is the only one who can save us! I hear she once raided a Legion baggage train and a Guild caravan at the same time!

Comment

Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
        Batman? Really? Why not the Lone Ranger or the Ghost Rider, you know, something Western?

I'm more familiar with Batman than the Lone Ranger or Ghost Riders, so Batman was the first vigilante who popped into my head.

I write things.

Comment

...she was "Swifthand" Ash, also known as "The White Plains Ranger" , a hero who hid her true face. Many people knew who Ash was - a 'somewhat' talented bounty hunter and gambler, who liked to talk big and play herself up as the greatest adventurer on the frontier. Hardly anyone knew who the Ranger was, that mysterious vigilante who would sometimes appear to bring hope to the hopeless and swift justice to the wicked. Only one person knew they were the same woman, that being Ash herself. The thing about being a braggart is that anyone smart enough to see through the lie will figure you're all fake, and never look at you twice. Ash liked to use that to her advantage, playing up her cocksure persona in public to disguise her real skills and motivations.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Ash steered her big old lizard over to a hitching post by the saloon. "Down, King," she said, and the beast lowered himself so she could get off. She casually looped her reins around the post, took a look up at the sign above her, and smiled. Ash took a second to adjust her hair and hat, then went inside.

The rickety wooden door to Freewater's main drinking hole creaked loudly as the Ranger walked in. The Tap & Tack, as it was called, was mainly a shady spot where a body could get drunk in peace. Picture a dim, cool, wide room with rough wooden chairs and tables scattered about. The far side of the room was occupied by a long counter, a shelf full of liquor, and a lot of stools. It was quiet at that time of day - no one at the tables, and just a few bored souls at the bar. The bartender stood idle behind the counter, polishing a mug like he had nothing better to do.

Ash swaggered up to the bar, tipped her hat, and gave the bartender a bright, friendly "Howdy!" .

His eyes met hers, and he put on a phony-looking smile. "Well, hi there, stranger. Don't think I've seen you pass through before." He was a pudgy man, average height, with thinning gray hair and a mournful countenance. He was also kind of loud, and redfaced - he'd been dipping into his own stock, most likely. "What's your name?"
          • "Why, don't you recognize me?" Ash put on a mock look of shock and dismay. "I'm Swifthand Ash! The hero of Broken Canyon!" Just about everything Ash ever said was shamelessly self-promoting. Some folks found it obnoxious, but it did make an impression.
          • "Ash. Good to meet you, friend." She stuck out a hand for him to shake, and he shook it. Ash liked to start off on people's good sides and save the theatrics for when everyone was comfortable.
          • Instead of answering right away, she showed the bartender a little trick. Ash reached into a pocket with her right hand and fished out three coins. She tossed them into the air one after the other, then caught them and tossed them again with the same hand. After a few seconds of juggling, she raised her left hand in a fist and started passing the coins to it. She caught each coin on her thumb and flicked it up, flipping them easily onto the counter. Even better, they landed in a nearly-perfect stack. "My name's Ash, and I'm lookin' to drink and gamble," she said, with the kind of smirk you only see on a born showoff.
          • Something else?
          OOC Commentary

We have a majority vote for a combination of the Drifter and Tall Tale, so that's who we're playing today. I'll admit I wasn't expecting this, but what the heck. I opted to re-use Ash's script for the MC's introduction. We can do something more appropriate for the Ranger if/when Ash finds a need to change hats.

Also, for those of you who took an interest in my last quest project, I'm still taking feedback on the completed story. Your input helps me to determine what works and what doesn't in my writing, so I appreciate any input you care to offer.
          Last edited by semicasual; 06-26-2017, 12:55 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Instead of answering right away, she showed the bartender a little trick.

If we are playing the fool might has well have fun with it!

I write things.

Comment

So happy with this. I didn't think you'd actually go for it! This opens some doors for changing our playstyle later on. I love it!

I'll go with wonderandawe. Let's start off with a bang and a trick.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
              I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Why, don't you recognize me?" Ash put on a mock look of shock and dismay. "I'm Swifthand Ash! The hero of Broken Canyon! self-promotion first

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

Party tricks make for excellent ice-breakers. Instead of answering right away, she showed the bartender a little trick.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                    Instead of answering right away, she showed the bartender a little trick.

If we are playing the fool might has well have fun with it!
                    Oh yes, lets dazzle him with him with dexterity and baffle him with bullshit.

Comment

Razzle-dazzle em' with the coin trick.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Instead of answering right away, she showed the bartender a little trick. Ash reached into a pocket with her right hand and fished out three coins. She tossed them into the air one after the other, then caught them and tossed them again with the same hand. After a few seconds of juggling, she raised her left hand in a fist and started passing the coins to it. She caught each coin on her thumb and flicked it up, flipping them easily onto the counter. Even better, they landed in a nearly-perfect stack. "My name's Ash, and I'm lookin' to drink and gamble," she said, with the kind of smirk you only see on a born showoff.

The bartender gave an appreciative chuckle. "Damn, you're quick. I'm Duwain. Good to meet you, Ash. Now, drinks, I can handle. Gambling, you might need to wait a bit." He set down the mug he was cleaning in front of her. "What's yer poison?"

Ash pushed back her coat and sat down on a stool. "Got any pulque?"

"Nope, sorry, fresh out. Got mostly beer and wine back here."

"Chicha?"

"Yup." Duwain ducked under the bar and came up with a big grey jug. He popped the stopper and poured out dark, fruity-smelling beer until the mug was almost overflowing.

Ash knocked back a fourth of the contents and let out a contented sigh. "Thanks. So where's a gal to go if she wants to play a game?"

Duwain winced. "Well, er... There's folks around who like to play cards here in the evenings, if you don't mind waiting." He picked up her coins from the counter and moved them out of sight. "I'll start you a tab."

"I'm not much for waiting," she answered. "Come on. There's nowhere else in town that does cards? Or dice?"

"There's dice and tables at the hotel," muttered the patron on her right. He was a bleary-eyed teamster with a thick frame, thick beard, and dark skin. He stared into a glass of spirits like it was about to tell him the truths of the universe. "But you don't wanna go there."

"Why not?" asked Ash, though she already knew perfectly well.

Duwain cleared his throat. "Er... some rough men have moved in there, and it don't look like they're leavin' anytime soon. It's no place for folks like us."

"Rough men, eh?" Ash fished around in another pocket and pulled out a worn, folded piece of paper. She carefully unfolded it and set it down on a part of the counter that wasn't wet from drinks.

The paper showed a woodcut sketch of a man's face - someone thin, with angular features, short dark hair, no beard or mustache, and cruel smirk. The man's eyes looked like they'd been scratched out. And below the picture, the following words in big bold letters: "BY ORDER OF MARSHAL TEPET EICUS: WANTED, DEAD OR ALIVE: STITCH-EYES. MURDER, ROBBERY, DESTRUCTION. 500 ~d."

"Any of those men look like this?" asked Ash, conversationally.

Duwain blanched. "You should... put that away. And don't show it around no more. Listen," he bent down over the counter and started talking in a conspiratorial whisper. "Things have been tough around here since... that man turned up. Folks who keep don't their heads down tend to get 'em cut off."

"That bad, huh?" said Ash, before taking another long drink.

"That bad. Take my advice, you wanna stay away from the hotel. If you're lookin' for a place to stay, I got a couple rooms. Just don't cause any trouble. I don't want no trouble in my place."

Ash cooly folded up her little wanted poster and said...

• "No trouble in your place. Easy." And with that, she finished her drink, walked outside, and began strolling towards the hotel.
                        • "Mister, when there's trouble around, the safest place to be is right behind me." Ash raised her mug. "Or I'm not Swifthand Ash." Despite Duwain's anxious objections, Ash stayed in the bar until late, when new and different patrons started coming in.
                        • "Sure, no worries. I'll be quiet as a mouse." She fished around in her pockets and pulled out a few more coins. "Will this cover a room?"
                        • Something else?
                        OOC Commentary:
                        Here's a bit of worldbuilding text I wrote for the Headcanon thread:

South of the Threshold, beyond the Lap but well before the fiery edge of the world, lies an expanse of land officially called the Southern Frontier by the Realm and the Wild South by romantics. During the last century there has been a growing push from the Realm to expand into this region. Settlers from the Blessed Isle and threshold have gone south, fighting the natives and reshaping the land as they went. Some are motivated by profit gleaned from arable landed not owned by any House, minable minerals, or commerce without taxes. Others are motivated by more intangible things - freedom from the laws of the center, the prospect of adventure, or some ideal of independence.

The Scarlet Empress personally never took much interest in the Southern Frontier, and gave only minimal support to colonization efforts. This meant freedom-seekers could be satisfied, but it also meant that order was rarely upheld and banditry was common. These issues were mitigated, to an extent, by the presence of traveling Dragonblooded marshals - adventurous House scions, for the most part, who were granted carte blanche by the Realm to enforce the law as they wished. But since the Empress disappeared and the struggle for the throne began, the majority of marshals have found reasons to go back north and there has been little new blood to replace them.

The Frontier has become increasingly characterized by small, tribe-like townships that aggressively defend their territory against any interlopers. Outside the towns there is little hope for protection against a growing bandit problem. The displaced natives, particularly the Dunefolk, are starting to return in force. Few of the settlers can see it, but the continued existence of the Frontier as they know it is very much in question.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

"Mister, when there's trouble around, the safest place to be is right behind me."

Let's get some drinking in and scope out the locals a bit. Then after we clean out the local of their jade, we can check out the hotel.

I write things.

Comment

"Mister, when there's trouble around, the safest place to be is right behind me."

Gotta keep up that maybe-empty-maybe-not veneer of bravado. (If we went and confronted the bad guy right away, that could blow our cover.)

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Drink, wait and gamble, then when they run out of money go to the hotel for fresh game.

Comment

"Mister, when there's trouble around, the safest place to be is right behind me." Ash raised her mug. "Or I'm not Swifthand Ash." Despite Duwain's anxious objections, Ash stayed in the bar until late, when new and different patrons started coming in.

Comment

Working...
                                X