Back Alive or Maybe Dead [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure, Seres sounds good.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Let's stick with whomever Ash thinks is going to be in the most trouble if trouble arrives. That might be Seres.

Enjoy the adventures of a socially awkward Godblooded that tries to make her way through the world.

Halfway

Comment

• We kinda should talk to Seres

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Seres. Seres feels like the weakest link in the chain right now. I think she will need support during the impending doom of the day.

Comment

• Ash decided to join Seres.

She joined the youngblood beside a line of fine gowns, the kind that Isle-folk liked to wear. Not the finest, mind - you might be thinking of those elaborate silk getups woven with silver and gold to make you look like a god. No, these were plain wool and cotton, dyed and pressed, and still probably worth more than your average frontier farmer would make in a year. Seres leaned over the display with a resentful expression on her face.

"Somethin' on your mind, Seres?" asked Ash, just above a whisper. She lifted a hand to brush against the fabric, noticed a sign specifically warning against touching the merchandise, and let her hand back down.

"Yeah," answered Seres. She paused, grimaced, and went on. "I been thinkin' about last night-"

"We ain't talkin' about that," interrupted Ash, careful not to raise her voice.

Seres frowned and sniffed. "Fine. I been thinkin' about this entire journey. Days an' weeks, and all this time..." she stopped, realizing she'd been getting louder. She took a breath and went on more quietly. "All this time, you've been a hidden egg. Why didn't you say anythin'?"

Ash took a long time to answer, and when she finally did she wouldn't meet Seres' gaze. "...It's always been my edge."

Her junior partner's frown shifted to a confused blank. "What?"

"My ace in the hole. Trick up my sleeve. A specialty that would keep me alive, but only if nobody - nobody - knew about it." Ash subconsciously pulled her hat lower over her eyes. "Nobody thinks much of what one woman can do alone. But one dragon?" Ash shook her head. "Surprise is my weapon, and I can't give it up."

Seres thought over that one for a while, then said "Horseshit," at normal speaking volume.

Ash gave Seres a disapproving look. So did several other people nearby, but probably not for the same reasons.

Seres paid them no mind. She talked in rush, barely staying at a whisper. "You ain't seen me hide anythin'. Or Lans. Or Serge! And this whole frontier's full of... used to be full of Marshals paradin' around with their tin shields. Surprise is a weapon, sure, but you know what else is? Respect." She crossed her arms and shook her head. "No, I don't buy it. You don't need an edge. You're just scared of bein' found out. Why?"

Ash flushed. She fought an urge to shout, swallowed, and deliberately took a long breath. "...Because I don't want it." She finally answered.

"Don't want what?" Seres raised an eyebrow.

"This." Ash waved hand over the finery. "I don't want people thinkin' I'm some kind of livin' god. I don't want people thinkin' I'm somebody special before I've introduced myself or done anythin'. I don't want..." she paused and took another breath. "I don't want to give up livin' with ordinary people, just because I'm not ordinary."

Seres didn't answer. It looked like she wasn't ready to answer.

Ash rubbed her forehead. "Now's not a good time for this kind of talk. Let's pick it up later, alright?"

The youngblood shrugged, then turned away.

The racket of gavel banging on the podium echoed through the room. "Will all attendees please be seated!" shouted the stout woman holding the mallet. "The auction is commencing! All attendees please take your seats!"

Ash found herself a paddle and a seat next to Lans. Seres sat on her opposite side. All the townsfolk and visitors who'd come to scavenge either found places for themselves on the benches or cleared out.
            Anticipation slowly built in the room as a broad-shouldered fellow in a rumpled suit lifted one of the boxes from the back of the room and opened it. He pulled a book he could barely wrap his arms around out of the box, walked to the podium, and held it up so everyone could see.

"Lot one - a magical book of indeterminate provenance," announced the auctioneer. "River dragon-leather and parchment, decorated with brass and crystal inlay. The cover and pages appear blank. However, professional augurs have assured us that the tome is enchanted. Bidding starts at one hundred. Do I hear one hundred?"

Nobody raised a paddle.

"One hundred. ONE hundred. We will not reduce the opening bid. One hundred!"

There were no takers. After a few moments, the auctioneer sighed and tapped her gavel on the podium. "Lot one, unsold." She looked down at the floor and muttered, probably louder than she meant to, "...never get rid of that thing..."

The burly man carried the book back to its box, pushed the box aside, and grabbed the next item. This one was a helmet, made of polished white jade.

"Lot two! One white jade helmet, painstakingly carved with the mon of house Silikes. Some minor wear and scratch marks. Bidding starts at eighty. Do I hear eighty?... Yes, thank you madam. Eighty-five? Eighty-five, ninety?"

Eventually, the helmet was sold to a long-bearded fellow in the back row, and the auctioneer moved on. Lot by lot, item by item, the belongings of house Silikes were distributed to the general public.

Seres fidgeted in her seat. Lans stared ahead, stoically blank. Ash worked to suppress her growing concern that the item she was looking for might not be here.

Finally, it came. The presenting man brought up a polished wooden case and carefully opened it to display its contents. Inside, lodged firmly in a shaped cushion, were the two most beautiful flamepieces Ash had ever seen. The audience murmured.

"Lot thirty-seven - a pair of pre-Shogunate flamepieces, painstakingly maintained to be in perfect working order. Red jade and onyx with gold inlay, with bronze clockwork elements. Students of history will recognize these flamepieces as the very same ones worn by the late Marshal Silikes Dolh, who wielded them faithfully in the Empress' name. They are called...
            • "...the Peacemakers."
            • "...the Flame and the Law."
            • "...Red Dragon's Roar."
            • "...Burning Justice."
            • "...Judgment and Absolution."
            • Something else?
            OOC Commentary
            Something that always fascinates me about "hero" characters of all sorts is how their extraordinary status separates them from other people. Sometimes it's action heroes shocking everyone by casually wading into dangerous situations like its nothing unusual, getting into fights or killing people without a hint of stress. Sometimes it's people who have glimpsed a secret world, trying to get others to believe in what they have seen. Sometimes its people who have been suddenly thrust into an important role, and lose the privilege to interact with others as they normally might. There's a lot of pathos there, and I feel that too often it goes unexplored. Possibly because the emotional challenges that come with being special detract from the fantasy of being special.

Last edited by semicasual; 04-19-2017, 12:26 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• I so want to vote for Peacemakers, cause I had a Chosen of Serenity who wield a pair of Starmetal Flamepieces called "Peacemakers". Yay for bad character puns.

But I will vote for Burning Justice.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

• Burning Justice!

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                  I so want to vote for Peacemakers, cause I had a Chosen of Serenity who wield a pair of Starmetal Flamepieces called "Peacemakers". Yay for bad character puns.
                  (I was thinking of the Colt SAA, "The Gun That Won the West". but that works too.)

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Something else:
                    Judgment and Absolution.

Enjoy the adventures of a socially awkward Godblooded that tries to make her way through the world.

Halfway

Comment

• Originally posted by Finn523 View Post
                      Something else:
                      Judgment and Absolution.
                      (I like it! Added to the list.)

Comment

Something else:
                        Judgment and Absolution.

I change my vote to this.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post

I change my vote to this.

Also changed.

Comment

Something else:
                            Judgment and Absolution.
                            Sounds good to me

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• [X] Judgment and Absolution.

I'm making a fangame: Xeno: The Beyond. A space alien game about identity, conformity, isolation, and colonialism. Please help!

Comment

• I liked Flame and Justice, but can get behind Judgement and Absolution.

Comment

Working...
                                X