Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ....get it? It's a stall.

....I work with what I've got, ok?

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Ash didn't move, but she spoke. "What do you want here? Did you just blow up a refinery so you could loot old Dynast leavings?" She was stalling, and she knew it. But she couldn't help but hope an opportunity might present itself.

Hark chuckled. "In fact, we are looking for something specific. You'll see what it is, soon -"

Whatever Hark might have been about to say was interrupted a shrill shriek from Tei Leng. The farmboy with the knife had stuck the fat man in the arm. Tei Leng clutched at the wound and stared at the boy with disbelief.

"ROD!" shouted Hark, looking away from the group for the moment. Ash, in the meantime, kept her eyes on Lerdch. Lerdch wasn't wavering either - neither was her flamepiece. Ash grimaced.

"Not yet!" said Hark, grabbing the farmboy by the shoulder. The farmboy turned his head around and seemed to see Hark for the first time. His face shifted from an expression of blind fury to one of angry confusion. His mouth opened and closed.

"Not yet," Hark repeated, and released his grip. Then the dapper bandit returned his attention to Ash and company. The sides of his mouth turned down. "Still stubborn? As you wish. Master Bone, a moment of your time?"

Bighorn Bone studiously ignored the scene developing behind him. He had paused in his ransack of the auction lots to turn over a large, ornate necklace in his hands. When Hark called, Bone carelessly tossed it aside and turned to face him. "Que?"

"Would you be so kind as to take hold of that heavyset woman in the blue dress, and bring her over here?"

Bone shrugged and walked towards the huddled crowd. A lady matching Hark's description - the auctioneer - gasped and tried to shrink back into the throng, but they were already packed so close together there wasn't room. Bone took the last few steps toward her very quickly and seized her by the arm. Then he stepped back and pulled her off her feet.

All the while, the rest of the hostage-holders kept their eyes on their charges. If anything, they seemed more alert for funny business than before. Ash kept looking for openings that did not appear.

Bone dragged the auctioneer across the floor while she begged and scrabbled. When they came within a few feet of Hark, Bone hauled the woman up again and held her arms behind her. She whimpered softly.

"Now," said Hark. "I shall count to three. If you all have not laid down your weapons by the time I am finished, my associate will rip out this woman's throat with his teeth. A ghastly sight - I do not recommend it."

Bone did not seem surprised by this. Mildly annoyed, maybe, but not surprised.

"One... two..."
      • "Three!" said Ash, desperately. She twisted, ducked to the ground, and flung her matchlock at Bone's head.
      • "Damn you!" Ash spat. She flung down her matchlock, and it clattered against the floor.
      • Something else?

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• (Y'all still there? These crickets are awfully loud.)

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• "Three!" said Ash, desperately. She twisted, ducked to the ground, and flung her matchlock at Bone's head.

This is a hard decision, but I think we should risk it for the biscuit. If we're not playing to win then what's the point!

Comment

• "Three!" Look we can count too!

((Sorry, been distracted by a new Werewolf Forum game.))

I write things.

Comment

• Ash can afford to make mistakes where the Ranger can't. 3.

Also, Wonderandawe stole my gig.

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post

Also, Wonderandawe stole my gig.
                Early bird catches the gif. :P

I write things.

Comment

• Originally posted by KymmetheSeventh View Post
                  "Three!" said Ash, desperately. She twisted, ducked to the ground, and flung her matchlock at Bone's head.

This is a hard decision, but I think we should risk it for the biscuit. If we're not playing to win then what's the point!
                  Apologies for not keeping current. Super busy week. :-)

Comment

Now, a bunch of things happened all at once. I'll try to keep it nice and orderly for you.

Lerdch hadn't fallen asleep, to begin with. As soon as Ash made her sudden move, Lerdch pointed her flamepiece down and made to pull the trigger. But Seres was quicker to react and leapt at her, vaulting over Ash and flying like the wind. Seres hit Lerdch with a flying punch, bowling her over and sending her firewand spinning away. But that piece was still primed, and it went off in midair, spraying fire towards the wall behind Lerdch. The heat was more than enough ignite the sundries displayed there.

Time seemed to show as the firewand shot through the air like a javelin. The tip of the bayonet raced toward bighorn's face... and then passed it, as the big man twisted to one side. He relaxed his grip on the auctioneer, who ducked away from him and started running towards the posse and the door.

The men guarding the hostages reacted to the sound of Lerdch's flamepiece going off. One of them wheeled around and turned to point it at the posse. Another just looked around, trying to understand what was happening. The last one jumped and blasted the poor folks huddled in front of him. Packed together as they were, there wasn't any chance of getting out of the way. The ones in front took the worst of it, involuntarily shielding those behind them with their bodies. And then, of course, the screaming started.

After that, things got mighty confused. The fearful crowd's terror finally boiled over, and they bolted. They tried to escape in all directions, but especially towards the tiny exit that Lans had carved. The posse, trying to push forward, had to struggle not to be trampled. And the Lost Souls, no longer concerned with keeping order, were indiscriminately attacking anyone that came within arm's reach. Their burning, flailing victims didn't help matters a bit. Two more flame-blasts added to the chaos.

Serge seemed to manage best. Stone-skinned and flint-hearted, he shoved his way through the morass of panicked townsfolk to the nearest gang member, battered him down to the floor with a series of punches, and moved on to the next one.

Lans got pushed this way and that, and when he finally came face to face with an enemy there was no room for him to swing his sword. He took a rifle butt to the jaw and nearly fell. Ash, pushing from behind him, managed to keep him on his feet.

Seres, caught between the stampeding crowd and the growing fire, lost whatever cool she might have had. She screamed, cursed, and jumped up as high as she could. That was quite high, as it happens, and with another kick off the wall above the door, she shot up to the rafters of the hall. There she clung to a support beam, surveying the scene below her with horror and confusion.

Bone and Hark's end of the hall was relatively clear - nobody wanted to get near them. They shouted at each other, something inaudible over the melee. Then Bone spat, ran for the back, and hastily began going through the boxes once again. Hark joined him. The boy Hark had been watching froze, but then seemed to find himself and focused on keeping Tei Leng where he was - no mean feat, that.

Ash and company slowly but surely pressed forward through the sea of violence. But the going was slow, and Hark found what he was looking for first.

He opened one more box and found a bundle of papers - letters, crudely tied into a sheaf with string. He looked it over, then shouted and brandished it at Bone, who abandoned his own search to run to the side of the room where Tei Leng and his keeper waited. There, Bone picked up the enormous book - the mysterious Lot One - and hauled it to the auctioneer's podium. The boy followed, forcing Tei Leng to come along.

Bone slammed the book on the podium, and opened it to the middle. He stepped aside and watched Tei Leng and the boy with a sick grin. The boy, his face set and grim, slashed Tei Leng's throat and shoved him onto the podium.

By this time, Ash was panting over the body of a woman she had wrestled to the floor, then fought to subdue even while being kicked around by everyone nearby her. When she rose up, she found that for the first time in what felt like forever, the way was clear before her. She saw Tei Leng, stumbling back from the podium with the book inexplicably clinging to his chest. His eyes were rolled back in his head, and his whole body was shaking uncontrollably. Hark was huddled into the corner, clinging tightly to the papers he'd taken. Bone was drawing away from Tei Leng, and pulling the boy with him.
                    • Ash stared at Tei Leng, and shivered. She raised a fist and shouted, trying to rally the others to her.
                    • Ash focused on Hark, and her vision tunneled. She sprinted towards him, heedless of Tei Leng or anything else.
                    • Ash grunted, then ran towards Bone... and beyond him, her matchlock.
                    • Something else?
                    Last edited by semicasual; 05-16-2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• There is some fucked up shit going on with Tei Leng's corpse. Let's take care of that first, before focusing on Bone and his papers.

I write things.

Comment

• Rally!

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                          There is some fucked up shit going on with Tei Leng's corpse. Let's take care of that first, before focusing on Bone and his papers.
                          Agreed. We can hunt down the gang later.

Comment

• Originally posted by KFinigan View Post

Agreed. We can hunt down the gang later.
                            Not ideal, but yeah; Rally. We need our ducks in a row.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Ash stared at Tei Leng and shivered. She raised a fist and shouted, trying to rally the others to her. Lans was beside her almost immediately. Serge shoved his way towards them soon after.

They looked up - Seres hadn't moved. She was tightly gripping the wooden beam, and shivering.

Ash gritted her teeth and returned her attention to the thrashing corpse in front of them. "Lans, what in the hell is that?" she shouted over her shoulder.

Lans cautiously took a step forward, holding his sword ahead of him. "The book must have been cursed. I don't know-"

The old man's answer was interrupted by Tei Leng falling over and hitting the ground. Now, you might not think one more body hitting the floor would make much difference in all that commotion, but let me tell you this one shook the earth. The large man and the book slammed the floor, broke through the boards, and left a sizeable hole where they fell through. Of course, the town hall was only a few feet off the earth, but the whole thing rattled a moment later, hard enough to shake dust down from the rafters.

An instant later, the body began to emerge from the floor, groaning and creaking as it rose. An appendage, like a tentacle or a tree root but made of blood-soaked paper, sprouted from its mouth. As what once had been Tei Leng rose higher, you could see that it was being lifted by another bloodied-paper column impaling it from underneath.

Bone had turned away from the spectacle and was studying the wall. He shouted to Hark. Hark ran across the room, shuffling the the package of papers under one armpit while he pulled a bottle of something from his pockets. He tossed the bottle to Bone, who pointed the neck away from him as he carefully pulled out the stopper. He waved the bottle at the wall, splashing its contents against the thick planks.

Whatever was in that bottle bubbled and hissed when it hit the wall. Thick white smoke billowed away as wood and caulk melted into mush. A small hole quickly became a large one, large enough for the boy to fit through if you pushed him headfirst.

Serge saw all this happening and started running towards the back, but the corpse-creature intercepted him. Showing surprising reach, the tentacle-root whipped around and seized the warrior by his waist. Serge shouted curses as he was lifted into the air.

Ash and Lans rushed to help. Ash grabbed Lans legs and tried, without much success, to stop Serge from being pulled in. Lans chopped and chopped at the limb holding Serge, until it suddenly split with with a wet-sounding "scriiiiipe". Serge fell free, nearly bringing down Ash with him, and the limb sprayed ink-like blood over all three of them.

The ground shook again, and Tei Leng's body started to rise faster.
                              • "Kill it! Kill it!" Ash screamed. She looked around for anything she could use to attack the paper-monster.
                              • "Get after them! Go!" Ash shouted, pulling Serge towards Bone and Hark.
                              • "Pull back! Lans, widen our exit! Serge, follow me!" Ash barked. She started pushing back towards the front, towards the fire, now figuring that getting the townsfolk out was most important.
                              • Something else?

Comment

• "Pull back" got to get the noncoms to safety. That said, we need to kill paper-corpse monster; preferably with fire. That said if one of our fluckies takes a pot shot at Bone & Hark, I won't mind. Priorities.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Working...
                                X