No announcement yet.

Back Alive or Maybe Dead [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ranger needs to keep the scorpion-man's attention on her so Seres and King can re-enter the fray without his knowing.

Still lying down, she pointed absolution over the side and tried to blast the scorpion-man off.

Comment

• Still lying down, she pointed Absolution over the side and tried to blast the scorpion-man off.

He hadn't been idle after throwing Seres off the train. He was scuttling up and along the side of the carriage, and was almost on her already. She twisted her body slightly, sighted down the barrel of her flamepiece, and fired from point blank.

As she aimed, she heard a low bellow from the front of the train. Just as she pulled the trigger, the carriage shook, then abruptly slowed. The Ranger, already firing from an awkward position, almost flipped over as her shot went wide. The scorpion-man was surprised too, and stopped his advance to get a grip on the carriage.

The Ranger picked herself up, backed off from the edge of the carriage, and readied another shot. She figured the scorpion-man would clamber up onto the roof again, but after several tense moments passed, he didn't show himself.

As she waited, she noticed the scenery wasn't going by as quickly, the wind wasn't whipping at her hair and clothes so much, and it took less effort for her to keep her balance. The train was slowing down further, almost to a crawl.

She risked looking towards the front and now she could see why. The team of yeddim pulling the train was in complete disarray as a flock of black birds harried them. They were crows, diving and pecking at the giant beasts. The yeddim bellowed and thrashed. For the moment, their combined momentum and their harnesses kept them together, but they were getting more chaotic by the moment. Their teamsters were struggling to keep them in formation, ineffectually swatting at the birds.

Gaze-of-the-Sun had decided to intervene, it seemed.

The Ranger took a cautious step forward and looked over the side the carriage. The scorpion man wasn't down there. In fact, he was now climbing on the side of the freight-car, scuttling with all speed towards the front of the train.

• The Ranger took off in pursuit, running on the roof of the car.
      • The Ranger ran in the opposite direction, whistling as she went.
      • The Ranger stayed where she was. Seres and King were getting closer by the minute, and she waved at them as they approached.
      • Something else?

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Comment

Birdy has us covered - let's get back our steed!

The artist behind the quests From Out of a Dream (complete) and Back Alive, or Maybe Dead (running!). Go give a read and make your choice!

Comment

She came to the edge of the carriage, leaped the gap onto the next passenger car, crossed that too, and hopped onto the baggage car.

She paused then to see how King and Seres were coming along, which was lucky because that's when the train's momentum suddenly shifted again. It had been slowing down, but now it surged forwards as if a great weight holding it back had suddenly been released.

The Ranger stumbled, caught herself, and looked back to see the rearmost car of the train rolling away from the rest. Lans was just barely visible, balancing on the back of the dust-car as he watched the bulk of the train leaving him behind.

Under her mask, the Ranger smiled. That was one part of the job done - now they just needed to escape.

With renewed vigor, the Ranger made her way to the back of the caboose, and whistled once more. By now, King was closing in, but the effort from trying to keep up with the train was wearing him down. The Ranger looked down at the tracks, trying to guess the train's speed and her odds of being able to walk away after jumping clear.

Seres waved at her from King's saddle. The Ranger absently began to wave back, but then she saw Seres flinch and yank on the reigns. King reared up, his angry hissing drowned out by the rumbling from the train. Then an enormous, dust-brown blur rumbled through, kicking up a dense cloud of dust in its wake. The Ranger momentarily lost sight of Seres and King for a moment. When she saw them again, Seres was lying on the ground, trying to pick herself up, and King was flailing around in the dust, hopping mad.

The Ranger refocused on the great, shambling creature that had nearly run King and Seres over, and saw it was one of the train's yeddim. The scorpion-man clung to its bare, hairy back, holding its reigns in one hand and a long, hooked chain in the other. He hauled hard to the right, and the enormous animal began to turn around. Its face, black with soot, blew out coal-smoke as it let loose a bellow that echoed through the canyon. The scorpion man gave a wordless shout, and the yeddim began stomping towards the fallen lizard and rider.

• Throwing caution to the wind, the Ranger leaped off the train.
            • The Ranger grimaced, pulled out Absolution, and fired a blast at the yeddim and rider. She wouldn't hit them at this range, but she might draw their attention.
            • The Ranger let out one last desperate whistle, hoping King would get under control.
            • Something else?

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• More spotlight love for King!

The Ranger let out one last desperate whistle, hoping King would get under control.

Comment

• Originally posted by KFinigan View Post
                More spotlight love for King!

The Ranger let out one last desperate whistle, hoping King would get under control.
                Stole the sentiment from my mouth. King King King!

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Leap off the train AND give King a whistle.

Big darn heroes should work together.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• (Hey all. It's been a very busy few weeks for me at work, and it's been challenging for me to make time for this project. I am writing this to let you know I have not abandoned it, and will resume with the adventure soon)

Comment

• The Ranger let out one last desperate whistle, hoping King would get under control.

King heard and understood - or his instincts were good enough to compensate. Either way, the sand dragon turned to face the charging yeddim and stood up on his back legs. The great beast barreled on, smoke streaming out behind it, unconcerned whether the creatures before it were standing or lying down. But then, as it came close, King bolted forward, turned, latched onto to the belly of the beast with his foreclaws, and jumped up onto its side.

The yeddim screamed and veered off its path while King clung onto its flanks, drawing blood with his long nails. In their wake, Seres got to her feet, shook herself, and choked on the dust.

Wasting no further time, the Ranger tucked in her arms and dove off the side of the carriage stoop. She landed on her feet besides the tracks, catlike, then sprinted to Seres' side.
                      The girl seemed dazed. The Ranger could see blood clotting on one side of her head. But there was no time for doctoring right then. Instead, the Ranger grabbed hold of the noose still looped around her neck, and began untying it. Seres, once she understood what the Ranger was doing, started pulling in the loose rope and coiling it over her hand. A moment later, the Ranger had taken the rope off Seres and retied it into a lasso. She grabbed Seres' shoulder, pointed at the yeddim, and began running in its direction. Seres followed.

The yeddim had halted in its tracks. It was now kicking around and shaking itself, trying to buck King off. Its rider flailed at King with the chain, but the bucking of the yeddim kept him off balance and unable to stay on the attack. King, for his part, held on tight and snapped at the scorpion-man when an opportunity presented itself.

The Ranger ran around to the yeddim's other side, opposite King. While mount and rider were distracted, she spun up her lasso and flung it over one of the great beast's tusks. She held out the other end of the rope for Seres to take. Seres took hold, and then when the time was right, they hauled back on the rope as hard as they could.

First the yedddim's head was yanked towards them, and then it stumbled. Before the animal could rebalance itself, it toppled over into the dirt. There it lay, moaning loudly, with King still on top of it. The scorpion man sprawled nearby, legs waving in the air.

The Ranger let go of the rope and let out a breath she didn't know she'd been holding. Seres also let go and immediately pounced on the fallen scorpion-man, battering him with her fists. "Try to strangle, me, throw me off a train, YOU PIECE OF SHIT! I'LL TEACH YA!" she yelled as she she threw punch after punch.

• The Ranger took advantage of the pause to look around.
                      • The Ranger held a hand out to King, who scampered off the fallen yeddim.
                      • The Ranger stepped forward and put a hand on Seres shoulder.
                      • Something else?

Comment

• I feel like we tell Seres "No" a lot and am inclined to let her wear herself out. I vote we take advantage of the pause to look around, and only intervene with Seres when she's done letting it out. She needs to vent and learn a lesson. Support.

Plus, the Scorpion-man was a super-dick and has it coming.

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                          I feel like we tell Seres "No" a lot and am inclined to let her wear herself out. I vote we take advantage of the pause to look around, and only intervene with Seres when she's done letting it out. She needs to vent and learn a lesson. Support.

Seconded. And we need to touch base with the situation; we how is the rest of the heist going?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                            I feel like we tell Seres "No" a lot and am inclined to let her wear herself out. I vote we take advantage of the pause to look around, and only intervene with Seres when she's done letting it out. She needs to vent and learn a lesson. Support.

Agreed. Let Seres vent while the Ranger checks the situation.

Comment

• The Ranger took advantage of the pause to look around.

The train to Roca Roja was far enough away that she could barely see it behind the cloud of its own dust trail. Somewhere above, a group of black birds lazily winged its way in her direction. In the other direction, Lans and the dust car had finally rolled to a stop. Lans himself had disembarked and was jogging towards her. And somewhere far down the track, concealed by distant heat mirages, she could make out something tall and green trundling along.

Beneath her mask, the Ranger smiled. They'd pulled it off.

There was still some tidying up to do. First, there was the awkward wait for the tower to arrive. With the action over and the adrenaline fading, it felt like it took forever for the rolling structure to reach them. Bo was driving, slowly, while Serge rode alongside and navigated, poorly. Eventually the tower bumped into the back of the dust-car. It was moving slow, but the mass of the objects involved made for a resounding crash, followed by much cursing from Serge. Then they hitched the car to the tower, and began towing it back the other way.

As it turned out, the yeddim proved to be instrumental in sorting out some of the details. The beast was injured from the fall, but it could still walk, and carrying guards who had fallen from the train wasn't too much of a burden for it. The scorpion man was bound with his own ropes and chains and slung over the animal's back. Lans rode the yeddim, while Seres borrowed Lans' horse. The Ranger continued on King and Gaze flew, of course.

As they went, they found a few stragglers lying or wandering near the tracks. Each was taken into the tower for a quick triage-and-treatment by Bo, and then moved up onto the yeddim. Once the posse had rounded up everyone they remembered tossing overboard, the unfortunates were given food, water, and a yeddim in passable health. Then they were sent on their way back to Rustbank, with explicit threats about what they could expect if they tried to track the posse down.

After the former train-guards and the posse parted ways, the tower and the dust car carried on to their chosen hideout and eventual battleground. The great structure, despite its size, was eerily quiet compared to a real train, and during the slow ride "home", the posse found time to talk.

Ash, no longer masked, spent most of the ride with...
                              • Lans, riding in front of the tower.
                              • Serge, riding beside the tower.
                              • Bo, at the bottom of the tower.
                              • Seres, at the top floor of the tower.
                              • Gaze, on the roof of the tower.
                              Last edited by semicasual; 09-07-2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Auggggggggggh! I can't decide! Lans is unhappy about doing the robbery so I'd like to make him feel better about it, but we haven't spoken with Serge in a long while. Bo for even longer! Seres probably needs to vent about her experiences, and Gaze always has some neat insight. I could easily go with any of them...

I did a random number generator and it picked Bo. But the next person to post who feels strongly about someone different, consider my vote to be backing them.

Comment

Working...
                                X