Back Alive or Maybe Dead [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
    Ash's mommy taught her to always say her thank-you's.

"So I am. And it looks like I've got you to thank for it," said Ash, with real gratitude. "My name's Ash. What's yours?"
    Let's go with this.

I write things.

Comment

You to thank for it

Comment

"So I am. And it looks like I've got you to thank for it," said Ash, with real gratitude. "My name's Ash. What's yours?"

"I am Bo," said Bo, bowing her head slightly. "I am suprised to see you up. You have slept for three days."

"Three days." Ash repeated the words with disbelief.

"After... He Who Sees... defeated you, he left your body lying in the street. We took you away to bury you - we were afraid, of what he might do to you. But I found you were alive, and brought you here. You have been resting since then."

Ash took in a deep breath and tried to sort out her priorites. "...where is Stitch-Eyes now?"

"He Who Sees," Bo emphasized the name, "has left. The Lost Souls went with him. He must think you are dead, or I am sure he would have killed us both."

Hold up, I should explain. "The Lost Souls" was the name of Stitch-Eyes' gang. Some folks say that each one was a survivor of one of Stitch-Eyes' mass killings, whose life was spared in exchange for a promise to murder ten people in Stitch-Eyes' name. Those who survived that crucible were stuck with him for good. Others said they were small-time outlaws who Stitch-Eyes picked up and forged into hardened killers. Still another story was that the Lost Souls were poor folks who were desperate enough to pray to anyone who would listen... and that the one who listened was an elegant gentlemen with no eyes, who appeared in their dreams and promised whatever they wanted if they joined Stitch-Eye's hideous enterprise. Wherever they came from, there was no doubt that they were the most vicious crew of slayers on the Frontier. Stitch-Eyes trained them to fight as if they had nothing to lose. There were never more than twenty of them at a time, but they rode like they were hundreds. Now, where were we?...

"Hmm." Ash frowned. "...I admire your courage, Miss Bo, but why did you save me?"

Bo seemed surprised by the question. "I had to. You are of the Dragons." She put on a bitter smile. "Not everyone has forgotten what that means."

Ash seemed surprised by the answer. "Well... thank you, kindly." She gently cleared her throat. "One last thing - do you have any food?"

"Oh... yes, of course... can you dress yourself?"

"I reckon so."

"Then please, take these and get changed. I will make breakfast."

Breakfast consisted of beans, squash, and eggs. Ash practically ate her own weight of the stuff while Bo watched, amused.

"I do appreciate this," said Ash, after swallowing. "Everything you've done, but especially this. Nothing like a good meal after coming back to life."

Bo chuckled. "You are welcome.... may I ask you a question, Mistress Ash?"

Ash set down her spoon. "Shoot."

"...Why do you hide your face when you fight? What is the reason for wearing a mask?"

Ash grimaced. She'd been hoping for an easier question. "That's a hard question. Well... I have lots of reasons, but I suppose it's mostly because I don't want people to see me coming."

"I do not understand."

"When a marshal rides in, full of piss and vinegar, any outlaw with a brain will run. Or set up an ambush. But if you don't show your hand early, you can catch them off guard. They underestimate you, and you can use that against them."

"...I see," said Bo. She sounded unconvinced. She had other ideas about how someone "of the dragons" should act, and Ash wasn't quite fitting the mould. Ash knew that very well, which is why she didn't say that the romantic ideal of a hero boldly facing all the villains head-on was a stupid idea... unless the hero had an edge.

That had been her problem, Ash realized. She'd badly miscalculated what Stitch-Eyes was capable of. She'd need more than dragonblood and a little surprise to bring him down.

"I have to go after him again," she thought aloud.

"Excuse me?"

"Stitch-Eyes," said Ash. "I've got to try again."

Bo wavered. "Mistress Ash... He Who Sees... the anathema is dangerous..." she trailed off.

Ash nodded in understanding. "I know. But things will be different this time." The beginnings of a plan were coming together in her head - a little more than a bushwhack, and a little less than an all-out assault. But she needed a few things to make it happen, starting with...
        • ...A posse. Ash, in her guise as the Ranger or not, couldn't fight Stitch-Eyes and the Lost Souls gang alone. She'd need help from the toughest folks she could muster on the frontier - people with grit.
        • ...firedust, and lots of it. The plan needed firepower to even the odds. We're not talking dust for shooting, here - we're talking dust for blowing a mansion to burning splinters.
        • ...bait. Stitch-Eyes was fast and tough, but he wasn't reckless. If he knew the Ranger was alive, gunning for him, and ready for a real fight this time, he wouldn't show his face... unless he was lured out by something he'd really want.
        • ...a new flamepiece. Ol' Smokey was busted up. If the Ranger wanted even a prayer of taking on Stitch-Eyes again, she'd need a better one... something special...
        • Something else?
        OOC Commentary
        Don't overthink this choice too much. I expect we'll probably be doing everything on this list sooner or later. Then again, the order in which you do things will have an impact on how this adventure goes, and some steps might be easier or harder depending on what's already been done.

In case you were wondering, yes - it's the same Mistress Bo.
        Last edited by semicasual; 06-26-2017, 12:54 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

A Dragonblooded always needs a good posse by her side.

I write things.

Comment

Let's Magnificent Seven up in this place! I want to see a rag-tag group of misfit supernatural allies to help us out. Wooo!

I imagine it like this: Mostly DBs, a Lunar, a secret* Sid, and a Fair Folk to spice things up. Or maybe a ghost instead! Zero Solars though.

*and by "secret" I mean, in disguise but of Journeys, not of Secrets

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
            I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

I like the idea of a roving band bringing justice, but we should replace our weapon first.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

...A posse. Weapons, bait, and a plan are all going to be necessary, but it's clear now that taking down Stitch-Eyes won't be something we can do all on our lonesome. We'll need help.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

"Let's Magnificent Seven up in this place! I want to see a rag-tag group of misfit supernatural allies to help us out. Wooo!"

Why not this, since a remake just hit theatres recently?

Love the idea of that DB charm, btw.
                  Last edited by KFinigan; 10-27-2016, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Mistress Bo came a long way to patch up Ash. Poor woman just can't catch a break from all these Anathema.

As for what's needed first...firedust, bait, and a new piece would certainly be a help, but I'm sure Ash can make do until those are needed. What'd come in handy right now is a posse.
                    Last edited by Bozwevial; 10-27-2016, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• ...A posse. No A posse is not something you just throw together, and if you waste the opportunity before rearming and planning, nobody will go along later/a second time. Forming a posse (or a gang of revenge minded folk or whatever) is the last step.
                      • ...firedust, and lots of it. No Large quantities will be expensive to buy, difficult to obtain without notice, and dangerous to transport. Accumulate slowly, over time, if needed.
                      • ...bait. No Is Stitch-Eye predictable enough for this? Acquisition of and management of hostages could be just as difficult, or more, than the firedust. Does Stitch-Eye care enough for anybody or anything, enough to attempt a rescue? Any enemy he wants bad enough to take away from you? Probably not, so it's going to have to be a jackpot Stitch-Eyes can not resist. You would want this later, like the posse, once you have a plan. (Stitch-Eye will cook up a plan of his own.)
                      • ...a new flamepiece. Ol' Smokey was busted up. A must. Even if just to take care of problems along the way.
                      • Something else? This. Stitch-Eyes has already shown too fast for a shoot out; will need something special to compensate/negate that speed. That means an artifact, possibly a knife or bracers or boots?
                      Last edited by L'het'esh; 10-27-2016, 06:35 PM.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                      An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• double post....
                        Last edited by L'het'esh; 10-27-2016, 06:34 PM. Reason: double post deleted

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                        An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• I figure we'll run into trouble along the way. We need a new flamepiece. Artifacts would be nice, if we can get them.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

• I'm for forming up the team! Partly because a) I think forming one now and knowing who we can rely on will help us form a plan, b) I want more people to draw (artistic masochist that I am) and c) I just rewatched Seven samurai so I'm in a people-wrangling mood.

Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
                            • ...A posse. No A posse is not something you just throw together, and if you waste the opportunity before rearming and planning, nobody will go along later/a second time. Forming a posse (or a gang of revenge minded folk or whatever) is the last step.
                            Actually, wouldn't it be best to have it be first? Test runs are crucial to seeing if a team is ready for the big event - think of getting people early and doing smaller missions with them a dress rehersal. I do think your idea to get gear that gives Ash an edge is a good one though! It might not be the only edge Ash will need to defeat Stitch Eyes, but it can't hurt (unless it's a bracelet that feeds off our blood or something. Weirder things have happened).

The artist behind the quests From Out of a Dream (complete) and Back Alive, or Maybe Dead (running!). Go give a read and make your choice!

Comment

• I figure we start recruiting and it's a slow process and along the way we collect firedust and a new weapon.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                              I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• ...a posse. Ash, in her guise as the Ranger or not, couldn't fight Stitch-Eyes and the Lost Souls gang alone. She'd need help from the toughest folks she could muster on the frontier - people with grit.

"First thing I do is rustle up some help," said Ash. She pushed back from her chair and stood up from Bo's humble kitchen table.

Bo took a second to process this. Then her eyes widened. "You are beginning a Hunt!"

"Something like that. I've been meaning to ask - what happened to my clothes?"

"Oh... I took them to clean. Please wait, I will get them."

Bo bustled away for a bit while Ash paced and thought. When Bo came back, she had the Ranger's attire, neatly folded and pressed. She set the clothes down on the table. Ash pulled the Ranger's poncho from the heap and noticed it still had plenty of holes in it from when her flamepiece had exploded.

Bo followed Ash's gaze and winced. "I am sorry, Mistress Ash. I could not find time to repair it. Perhaps..."

"No, it's fine," said Ash, reassuringly. "...Maybe better, in some ways..." Privately, Ash wished that Bo hadn't cleaned the garment at all. Retaining the burn-marks and stink of dust would have made it that much more intimidating. "...anyway, I'll just change into these and go. Thank you again for all your help."

Bo looked like she was wavering again. Then she caved. "Wait! I will come with you."

Ash gave her a skeptical look. "What? No, you ain't."

"I am! Your wounds are not yet healed. If you will not stay, then I must go."

"Miss Bo, I appreciate your concern, but I'm headed for trouble. I can't protect you, and I can't have you getting in my way."

"I will not be a burden. And I... I am not asking permission." Bo clenched her fists. "I must do this. I must."

Ash sighed. "Alright. Tell you what - I'm camped below the ridge north of town. I'm gonna walk straight there, and then I'm off to who-knows- where. If you can get packed, find a ride, and reach my camp before I'm gone, you can follow me."

"Yes. Thank you, Mistress Ash." Bo looked around her small house, then went for an empty basket resting by her fireplace. While Bo frantically got her things together. Ash changed clothes again in the room Bo had given her. Then Ash left the house without any further discussion.

It was still fairly early in the morning as the Ranger left Freewater. She kept to the shadows where she could and stayed off the main street, except for one place. She revisited the site of her battle with the Lost Souls, and found a grim scene there.

The Lost Souls had decided they had enough of Freewater. As a parting gift to their hosts, they had burned the hotel to the ground. The adjacent store was also burned, but not before they'd looted it. Several more people were killed before, during, and after the fires were set. When the Ranger arrived, townsfolk were still sifting through the ashes for the remains of their neighbors, or for anything of value. Everyone was painfully quiet.

The Ranger watched for a while, taking it all in. Then she tipped down her hat and moved on.

Ash reached her camp at the base of the ridge before noon. King was resting in a shady spot behind a large rock. Ash grabbed her things - just her saddle and a few bags - and whistled to her steed. King perked up, slowly rose from the ground, and wandered over to her. Ash rummaged around in her saddlebag and found a bit of jerky. She tossed the meat into the air. King snapped it down in one bite.

"Hey, boy. You been feeding yourself?" Ash walked up to the sand dragon and rubbed his scaly head. "Well, I hope you enjoyed the break. Down, King." King lowered his head and sank down on his legs. Ash tossed her saddle over his back and strapped it into place. "Alright, come on, you lazy lizard," she said as she climbed up. "We've got a long road ahead of us."

Just as Ash started to ride away, she looked to the south and saw someone coming. It was Bo, riding sidesaddle on a mule over the desert flats.

"Well, I'll be damned. She really did it," Ash thought aloud.

And that's how the adventure started - with a hidden dragon and her loyal companion setting out with no money, no weapons, and not much more than a prayer between them of stopping the deadliest outlaw the frontier had ever seen. But the greatest heroes always come from humble beginnings...

OOC Commentary
                                And that's a wrap for chapter 1! Thanks to everyone who read it, and double thanks to anyone who commented, liked, and/or subscribed.

I'm not going to do the questionaire post-mortem thing I did in 'From Out of a Dream', but I welcome any feedback you want to offer about the characters, setting, or story direction
                                Last edited by semicasual; 10-28-2016, 05:19 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Working...
                                X