Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumping The Reclamation Entirely (And Speculation)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumping The Reclamation Entirely (And Speculation)

I think we can all agree that 2nd Ed Infernals had a lot of problems. When I look back on it I think the most obvious two issues was the excessive squick factor that portrayed all the Green Sun Princes are rape-monsters and the fact the mechanical and narrative constraints that more or less forced the GSPs into being nothing more than chess pieces in the Yozis' gambit to break out of their prison. I have no doubt that the first problem is being well addressed, it is the latter problem I would like to talk about. I think the best way to fix The Reclamation is to get rid of it completely.
    Before I go on I would like you t please read this passage from 1st Ed, Savant and Sorcerer, page 71-72.

The gods would have loved nothing more than to lock the Yozis away in a closed universe, a prison of geometric perfection that would from Creations perspective no longer exist, where every path outward looped back inward so thoroughly that the concept of out was lost. They dared not. Doing so would have invited the most terrible of revenges, plagues beyond the imagination of man and god. This is not because such a prison would anger the Primordials; their rage already surpasses boundaries. Rather, they would have nothing left to lose. Nothing in Creation could pose a further threat to them. They could unleash horrors capable of devouring all the world and the Primordials for dessert. Such monsters could never reach the Yozis, if their prison were perfect, nor would any other consequence.
    For this reason, the gods demanded more than imprisonment they required subservience. The First Circle would abase itself before the Dragon-Blooded; the princes of Hell would serve the Celestial Exalted; the souls of the Yozis would kneel to the Solars; and the Yozis themselves would come at the beck and call of the Maiden of Endings and the Unconquered Sun. If the Yozis gave such parting gifts to Creation as to break the world, the gods would call them to account. The Yozis accepted, and the oath of surrender changed their nature forever. The promise of servitude, spoken in hate, carved weaknesses into the Yozi souls, tools for the gods and the Exalted to exploit. The Primordials made themselves vulnerable, as they had never been before, to
    the binding of their wills. During a summoning, the claws of sorcery sink into the fingerholds and toeholds built into their minds, and by this method, the Exalted break them. From the demonic perspective, this is the greatest and most abhorrent sin enacted against the creators of the world Ñ that the gods would dream, not simply to imprison them, not simply to bargain with them, but to own the Primordials and their souls.
    What if after nearly five thousand years of trying to break free of their prison, the yozis gave up? What if after trying every scheme, plot, and scam imaginable the yozis became resigned to the fact that they are stuck the way they are and would never again take their rightful place as the rulers of the Universe? With escape no longer an option and little left to lose, the yozis would only have one thing left to hold onto, revenge.
    What if The Infernal Exalted are not a master plan to escape, but a final and ultimate fuck you to their jailors. The Infernals are what the yozis believe is the single worst thing they can unleash on the gods and their chosen. Knowing that it is in their very nature to serve The Exalted, the Infernals (which, speculation I think will have two "castes" apiece, I think based on Holden's words about "They're all two words. (As in _______ ________ Caste.) They don't uniformly map to another White Wolf game the way the 2e castes did. (Holden)" That each Infernal requires two yozis to empower it, just my guess) are Chosen by the yozis as the humans for whom they find service to least abhorrent. The Green Sun Princes are who The yozis believe ought to rule their Creation in the absence of its architects.
    What if rather than trying to get the Infernals to do what they want through the application of the stick, the yozis encouraged behavior they approved of through the carrot? I loved the Acts of Villainy in E2 and would love to see them port over to 3rd, but I would like to see them as acts the yozis reward because they are pleased by them rather than ways to mitigate torment.

In 2nd Ed Green Sun Princes were essentially slaves of their yozis, slaves that could slip the chains with a high enough essence rating and the right charms, but still starting out as slaves. I would like to see the relationship between an Infernal and the Yozis to be more like that between a pair of wealthy parents and their trust fund baby offspring. The Infernals are given access to huge amounts of resources, connections, and power by virtue of their parents, they go out into the world to make their mark and receive praise, adulation, and reward when they make their parents proud by crushing the gods into submission, tormenting the celestial exalted and doing their best to burn The Realm to the ground.

And if by some unforeseeable miracle the Infernal Exalted do manage to find a way to free their generous patrons and restore them to their former glory, so much the better.

I'm pretty sure that the Reclamation isn't going to be a thing in 3e. They did an infernals preview during the Kickstarter and included a kind of soft pedaled version of it and that got a lot of negative feedback, so they said they were gonna just drop it.

So, I suspect that your thoughts are gonna be close to correct in that the Infernal Exalted are a last "Fuck You!" to Creation from Hell.

I am wondering if the Yozis are going to be directly involved in their creation though. I think they're trying to put more focus on the Demons in 3e, so it is entirely possible that the Yozis will have the same level of involvement and presence in the charmset as the Unconquered Sun, Luna, or the Maidens.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
      I'm pretty sure that the Reclamation isn't going to be a thing in 3e. They did an infernals preview during the Kickstarter and included a kind of soft pedaled version of it and that got a lot of negative feedback, so they said they were gonna just drop it.

So, I suspect that your thoughts are gonna be close to correct in that the Infernal Exalted are a last "Fuck You!" to Creation from Hell.

I am wondering if the Yozis are going to be directly involved in their creation though. I think they're trying to put more focus on the Demons in 3e, so it is entirely possible that the Yozis will have the same level of involvement and presence in the charmset as the Unconquered Sun, Luna, or the Maidens.
      I think they have emphatically said that they are getting rid of Yozi charms and doing something different, which is fine in my book. Personally I always had a homebrew rule that Yozis cannot speak on their own. They use their 3rd circle demons to speak so putting the focus on the 3rd circle demons is the proper way to explore the nature of The Yozis.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

It was mostly that the preview made it seem like the Infernals were temporary, beta-ttesting punks until the Yozis came up with the Exalts they 'actually' wanted to rule the world with. I hated that. Absolutely rubbish. Either we're jailbreaking this as The Chosen, or ruling Creation vicariously as The Chosen, but I'm nobody's warmup stretch.

I used to know things. Forbidden things.

Comment

Right, the Preview said that the Green Sun Princes will be replaced when Infernals 2.0 roll up in just a few years. Green Sun Princes, in that Preview, are just chumps, presumably with a max lifetime of maybe 10-15 years. I absolutely hate that awful Preview.

As for the Reclamation and Yozi revenge: I think that if the Yozis truly, completely gave up, their final Fuck You to Creation would be vastly worse than 50 Green Sun Princes. Consider that the demons are only stuck in Hell because the Yozis are jealous, petty assholes. The Surrender Oaths only actually keep the Yozis themselves (and maybe the Third Circle?) imprisoned nonstop. The other demons could all rampage across Creation if only Malfeas and Cecelyne let them. And there are zillions of demons, because Malfeas is much, much, much bigger than Creation.

But having the GSPs be mono-focused on "You are Required to Free the Yozis" is terrible. It's a plot that every ST can come up with on their own, there are already 2 books all about that, and making it canonically possible/immanent just takes Exalted back to "The world is ending tomorrow, drop everything now!!!" which was not good. Or, if their mission is explicitly impossible, then playing a loyalist is kinda pointless.

That kinda creates a narrative bind. They can't have the mission to free the Yozis. But if the Yozis have given up then Creation is also, basically, ending.

I think the best solution I have seen suggested by other Infernal fans is that, whatever the Yozis were planning, they're so far above you that you can't really fathom what they're thinking, or what they want. They almost never speak to you directly, except in the bizarre dreams/memories/nightmares/visions in your Crysalis. (They definitely do not rape you.) The Yozis are not your boss. No, the Third Circle are your bosses, and sure they want to escape and get revenge, but they also want you to do stuff for them.

Aleph's "Reclamation" concept is this:
          Originally posted by Aleph
          What Infernals should really be, in practice - the Yozi may wish for their release as a theoretical reason for making them, but it's never going to happen - are the high-flying hatchetmen and consultants tasked by the Third Circles, terrible and beautiful gods of the Demon Realm, to carry out tasks and trials for their mysterious goals. Third Circles have goals of their own, after all, both in Creation and at home in Malfeas. They're constantly working and scheming and manoeuvring towards them, sometimes opposing each other and sometimes not.

So Ligier might hire a coven to steal him a gorgeous First Age wonder from the ruins of Denandsor, or travel to Sperimin to sell Raksi four dozen Infernal Essence Cannons of his creations in return for seventy score captured raksha for his Wyld Forges. Jacinct might send them against those foolish Solars who bind him in Creation away from his works for too long, or Orabilis might direct them to root out knowledge he desires hidden from all eyes that rests within the shattered Temple of Law beneath the streets of Nexus. An Infernal may even be made offers by two Third Circles warring against each other, and be put in the uncomfortable position of deciding which to appease and which to annoy. Do you claim and capture a valuable Malfean manse for Suntarankal, and gain his backing in the Althing along with a host of Crucible-trained demons to do your bidding, or do you defend Amalion's property from his minions, and be granted a manse built by a Third Circle to suit your every whim in recompense?

Such are the awful decisions a Green Sun Prince must wrestle with, while being given a professional massage by three neomah and snorting a mixture of Infernal cocaine and agata chalcanth. It's a hard, hard life.
          Also this post. And this one.

Free the Yozis? Yeah well, the Ebon Dragon is supposed to be the Yozi working on that. And he's got some bizarre plan or other, which he at some point will probably get one or more of his souls to get a few GSPs to play a part in, somehow, but it's convoluted and weird, not some simplistic "make Creation similar to Hell" thing. As Isator Levi once said, if the Yozis wanted that they could just unleash all the demons into Creation. So, yes, the Ebon Dragon is up to something, but:
          1. He's been up to something for 5000 years and hasn't succeeded yet.
          2. Nobody else knows what the plan is or how any particular weird mission is supposed to fit into that, so at no point is serving this purpose any more obvious than "I just got a mission that makes no sense, just like about 1/3 of the missions the other Third Circles gave me, and questioning the Unquestionable is bad for my career and/or health, so as usual I won't ask." Or maybe somebody else got those missions.
          3. There's no reason to think that his latest plan will come to fruition any time soon, nor that it isn't as doomed as the last umpteen. Really, either the Ebon Dragon has a long history of dismal failure at this, or he's been working on one really long-term plan for 5000 years, in which case expecting it likely won't finish soon.
          4. By far, the majority of things Third Circles ask for have nothing to do with escape at all.

Maybe the Ebon Dragon's not using GSPs for escape at all. In Games of Divinity, he does not trust the gods to contain him, for he is that which they are not. But the GSPs are definitely empowered by a chunk of divine golden sunlight that got spliced with Yozi Essence, so they aren't really that which the gods are not. They're sort of still Solars.

In my headcanon, the Ebon Dragon acquired 50 Solar Exaltations as a big Screw You to the Unconquered Sun, and maybe as a potential resource for his latest (completely unrelated, definitely doomed) escape plan. If he finally succeeds, great! If not, it was another doomed venture and he gets to watch it fail. He loves doomed things. (He's going to fail again.)

Cavalier wrote a Reclamation Revisited, as an introduction to an optional mechanical rewrite. I don't like all of it, but I do like most of their version of why the Ebon Dragon and Green Sun put the Green Sun Princes together, and how the various Third Circles are fighting over who gets to command the GSPs and what to have them do: https://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/8231377/

Especially:
          Originally posted by Cavalier
          The Neverborn, pathetic remnants of his slain kin, could act outside of Malfeas where he could not. They alone could make use of his knowledge and provide him with a measure of what he desired. Negotiations commenced as the Ebon Dragon communed with the Abyss and transformed himself into a Creature of Death. He received what he wanted, blasphemous concessions of which the other Yozi remain blissfully unaware. But it was not in the nature of the Ebon Dragon to allow others to profit any more than was necessary. He demanded a share of the Exaltations to be harvested.
          [...]
          The Ebon Dragon accepted fifty of the Exaltations as his payment, [...] but the truth of the matter is that the Ebon Dragon had little use for them. It was to deny the Neverborn of a portion of their gains, and not for any gain of his own, that he had named that price. It was useful to tell the other Yozis that the Exaltations were the benefit of his dealings with the Neverborn but for all his satisfaction they were but ornaments to his broader plans.
          If you want the rest of Cavalier's Reclamation Revisited, I think all the links are here:
          https://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/8235305/
          https://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/8235471/
          https://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/8261567/
          Last edited by Erinys; 10-31-2016, 12:32 AM.

She/Her. I am very literal-minded and write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
          My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
          Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

Back in 2nd edition I did not find the concept of, "You are the Yozi's bitch" to be terribly compelling. So among the (many) changes I made to Infernals, I got rid of the Reclamation. The Green Sun Princes were not crafted as some sort of grand escape plan. Rather, they were crafted to vent the Yozi's deepest frustration on Creation.

They're mad, of course, that they were overthrown. They're upset about the fact that they are locked away for all time. But what truly makes them enraged beyond belief is that in the 2nd Age they are forgotten. Few Mortals even know of Malfeas, let alone his souls or the other Yozi. The Yozi are nothing more than an old dusty relic, ignored by man and spirit alike - and the Yozi might be caged but they will not be ignored or forgotten.

They choose mortals and grant them vast power - what mortals do with that power is up to them. Some might choose to lead vast armies in conquest. Others might gather all the riches of Creation around themselves. Some might choose to be saviors of Creation - for the most part, the Yozi do not care what their champions do with their power. The only thing the Yozi want is for the Infernal Exalted to make themselves known to Creation - to have the names of Yozi and their souls be spoken of in Creation, whether in reverence or in fear. So long as an Infernal takes actions in Creation that give him a reputation and renown as one of the champions of the deposed once-rulers of the world, the Yozi will offer their support and assistance to that Infernal.

Comment

I had fun playing Infernals, but it took a little bit of changing to make it work.

Which was mainly actually treating the characters as indepenant actors rather then bitches. You just need to throw that second chapter out and then you can have fun with them.

Comment

The real issue is "What would the Yozis *realistically* do with their Chosen?" vs. "How do we design and present Infernals to players?"

"Realistically", it makes perfect sense that the Yozis would their Chosen enslaved to them, and would take every precaution to keep them from turning on them. They, more than anyone save the Neverborn, know what the Exalted are capable of! OTOH, playing duty-bound slaves may not be every players cuppa (there are many who are fine with it, but those who are not have been very vocal about it), so that may be off-putting. I guess we just need a plausible reason for why wouldn't the enraged, insane, desperate and immoral monsters in charge of your PCs want them to know who is unquestionably their boss, in the least subtle ways...

And while the notion of the Yozis having effectively given up attempting to escape kinda sounds neat, it doesn't really work when they've finally cracked the Exaltation puzzle. Gaining these superweapons for themselves, ones that can challenge the very notion of Impossibility, should give them a boost in confidence, even if most of them had given up for the last few eons!

What's the solution? Not sure...Maybe Exalt GSP, then exile them permanently from Malfeas, so that they can wreck havoc across Creation without threatening their creators? But that removes Malfeas as a playable setting...hmmm...

Comment

I think the easiest answer is that they just can't: When you create mutated Solars, not only are they unable to then become akuma, but it's just impossible to chain their wills even close to the way the Third Circle chain akuma. Just say the Incarnae already anticipated Primordial and Deva attempts to enslave their Chosen, and arranged it so they can never be chained without their willing consent after they exalt. And chaining the mortal's will first, when no Exaltation protects them, makes them un-exaltable.

The Unquestionable can treat the Green Sun Princes like slaves. And the abused Princes are guaranteed to either rebel or leave Malfeas, or die trying. In any case, they'd be useless. Maybe it took several failures to figure this out*, but once the Third Circles grasped it, they realized had to either treat the Princes like actual vassals, exile every last one to Creation, imprison every single one in solitary confinement forever, or kill them all and stop Exalting new Princes. Except oops, the Yozis are the ones Exalting people, and they won't stop.

Unless the ST and players want everyone to be an exiled rebel.

*Maybe those failures were among the Chosen that Isidoros and Oramus created from their own Essence, the ones who "disquited" the Yozis. That was one part of the 3E Preview I liked -- and it never said why they were disquieting. Were the Exalted (or failed not-Exalted) themselves disturbing to the Yozis, and if so, how? Or did the Law of Diminishment disturb them? Are those creatures running around somewhere now, and where?

Subtle ways of dominating no doubt abound, of reminding them that they won't get shiny toys or political patronage or social status or respect from important demons if they don't earn it. But I think portraying them as really enslaved, or bound by a really restrictive Urge mechanic, can be avoided.

I don't really think it's more inherent a problem for Infernals than Abyssals. Maybe I'm wrong -- I'm not familiar with Abyssals.
                  Last edited by Erinys; 10-31-2016, 12:54 PM.

She/Her. I am very literal-minded and write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                  Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                    I think the best solution I have seen suggested by other Infernal fans is that, whatever the Yozis were planning, they're so far above you that you can't really fathom what they're thinking, or what they want. They almost never speak to you directly, except in the bizarre dreams/memories/nightmares/visions in your Crysalis. (They definitely do not rape you.) The Yozis are not your boss. No, the Third Circle are your bosses, and sure they want to escape and get revenge, but they also want you to do stuff for them.
                    See, I'm also not a fan on this. When a Solar, particually a Zenith, wants to know what Sol Invictus wants out of him, he can pray and get an answer, straight or otherwise (plus the intro-lecture). When a Lunar wants to understand the will of Luna, they talk to Luna. Or dream really hard. Or the intro-lecture. Sidereals basically have a weekly org-chart meeting. Alchemicals and Abyssals literally have a stat about how well they're working, or at least communicating, with their patrons.

Infernals get five days in an adamantium coccoon, bathing in the mindset of their patrons, and it's expected to be a fever-dream? I'm unhappy about this..... but I understand why this needs to happen. Talking with the Yozis diminishes the importance and use of Third and Second-Circle Demons, which is absolutely tragic given how well Markarios was written. It makes Unwoven Coadjucators into shoulder-parrots or gag-Muses (ex. Eclipse Phase) when they should be this vast resource of understanding Hell from transferred first-hand experience. It Made Yozis Really, Really Important to the drawback of the person you're actually playing.

If there was a way to have my Yozi-cake and eat it too, I would. But This works too. It just feels like... "instead of working for Sol Invictus, I'm running errands for Nysela, or Five Days Darkness,or Lytek. I'm a Solar. I want to do Solar Things for Sol. Or Myself."

Comment

I actually didn't get the impression any Incarna ever speak to their Chosen or communicate anything at all to them, except Lunars and Zeniths when they exalt. So that's news to me. I figured working for a Third Circle is more like working for Nara-O, Hu Dai Liang, or Wayang.

Hey, it could be worse. The Five Dragons might as well be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                        I actually didn't get the impression any Incarna ever speak to their Chosen or communicate anything at all to them, except Lunars and Zeniths when they exalt. So that's news to me. I figured working for a Third Circle is more like working for Nara-O, Hu Dai Liang, or Wayang.

Hey, it could be worse. The Five Dragons might as well be dead.
                        Well that's because
                        1) religious veneration is less of a thing or Dragonblooded, who are more interested, culturally, in religious emulation of the Immaculate Dragons. Worshipping the Elemental Dragons and bothering them with your prayers is silly.
                        2) Everyone knows the patron of the Dragonblooded Host isn't Gaia, who left, or the Elemental Dragons, who just made Dragonblooding possible. It's the Scarlet Empress. And people pray to her all the time, with the occasional answers back Just ask Mnemon. That's definitely why she spends all that time in front of the mirror in a Scarlet Empress cosplay, and not because of some crippling mother/inferiority complex like Hugo Strange crying himself to sleep in a batsuit..... right?

Comment

I run the Reclamation like this:

A): Infernals of sufficient Essence can summon Third Circles.
                          B): Third Circles are Greek God levels of powerful, and really useful to have on your side..
                          C): Thus Infernals want to side with Third Circles that help them accomplish their goals.
                          D): Most Third Circles want to be in Creation.
                          E): It is ridiculously hard to bind a Third Circle.

Combine these factors, and you have the Reclamation.

The Third Circles want to be free to rule and be worshipped and do what they want, and for this to work, they need the Green Sun Princes.

"There is a remedy for everything but death, a hope for everything but wickedness, and everything will lapse except righteousness."

Comment

I don't really have much to contribute here, I will just note that I had just how horribly bad Infernals was rubbed into my face recently when I was talking to someone largely (but not entirely) unfamiliar with Exalted about the game and the subject of Infernals came up.

There was really no way to explain to her why Infernals were cool and usable, and not horrible wastes of ink that should never be in print, that didn't involve going into long rather-complicated arguments about Developer Statements and Intent,-- most of which just falls flat, to anyone new with the game, next to the actual printed shit about Infernals. It's difficult to explain to someone, "No, ignore all of that, that's not the way Infernals are. Infernals are this other thing, which only really exists as a fan construct, based on some stuff that the Developers said after-the-fact and which makes the entire Infernal book effectively useless except for the Charms. n' even then, don't pay too much attention to the Charms either, cause there's honestly a good bit of flavor in there that plays into some questionable design shit from the first chapter too. Would you like to play a Devil-Tiger? That's pretty cool."

It just hammered home to me, so succinctly, what was wrong with Infernals in so many levels and how I honestly wish that book had never been printed at this point.

Even though I do sort of like the end result of what was made of that messy unplayable disgusting perversion of a book.

I mean, literally, everything about Infernals that I like is pretty much shit that I or someone else made up.

Comment

Originally posted by CrownedSun View Post
                              I don't really have much to contribute here, I will just note that I had just how horribly bad Infernals was rubbed into my face recently when I was talking to someone largely (but not entirely) unfamiliar with Exalted about the game and the subject of Infernals came up.

There was really no way to explain to her why Infernals were cool and usable, and not horrible wastes of ink that should never be in print, that didn't involve going into long rather-complicated arguments about Developer Statements and Intent,-- most of which just falls flat, to anyone new with the game, next to the actual printed shit about Infernals. It's difficult to explain to someone, "No, ignore all of that, that's not the way Infernals are. Infernals are this other thing, which only really exists as a fan construct, based on some stuff that the Developers said after-the-fact and which makes the entire Infernal book effectively useless except for the Charms. n' even then, don't pay too much attention to the Charms either, cause there's honestly a good bit of flavor in there that plays into some questionable design shit from the first chapter too. Would you like to play a Devil-Tiger? That's pretty cool."
                              No disrespect intended to your friend, but that is the point I would have whipped out the Personal Experience Card: "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know you'd already read the books/played the game. Wait, you haven't? So, you're just completely willing to turn over all of your own thought-processes to the opinions of others, and let them decide what you're going to think about a subject, without even knowing what biases they may have, and without looking into the subject to actually see if they even really know what they're talking about? Is this really how you intend to go through life?" Etc...

I'm sorry, I just see SO MUCH of this in online life, that it's really one of my personal bonnet-bees!

And it honestly sounds like you may be buying into the fan-hate, too, if you're not exaggerating for comic effect and really believe literally *everything* published on/about Infernals is really horrible, and that only the fan-stuff is any good, which is a pretty extreme position to take, even on an online forum. Don't get swept up and away by the tides of hate, CS, just anchor yourself with what YOU know to be cool about whatever you love, and they will break around you while you remain unmoved!

Comment

Working...
                              X