The Viking colony in North America...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Viking colony in North America...

Okay, so we all know that the Vikings were the first Europeans to discover North America. We know they built a colony there and had some interaction with the native peoples there. There's evidence that there may have been trade and some evidence that there was conflict.

​Does anyone know which native tribes the Vikings were likely to have encountered in their exploration? In Scion terms, which Native Pantheons would they have encountered? If the Aesir accompanied the Vikings to North America, what would their interactions have been like with the gods of that particular region and what might those early encounters mean regarding relations between the Aesir and the Native Gods in the modern day?

​Yeah, basically, I'm fishing for possible Aesir/Native story hooks.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

This is a bit of a tricky one.

Looking at Wikipedia, the Vikings encountered the Beothuk and the Thule people. The Beothuk became extinct by the early 19th century, but they're believed to have shared common ancestry with the Mi'kmaq, one of the Algonquin nations. The Thule people, meanwhile, were the ancestors of today's Inuit.

So we're looking at contact with the Algonquin and Inuit pantheons.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post
      This is a bit of a tricky one.

Looking at Wikipedia, the Vikings encountered the Beothuk and the Thule people. The Beothuk became extinct by the early 19th century, but they're believed to have shared common ancestry with the Mi'kmaq, one of the Algonquin nations. The Thule people, meanwhile, were the ancestors of today's Inuit.

So we're looking at contact with the Algonquin and Inuit pantheons.
      ​Yeah, I thought they were pretty close to Algonquin territory. If the devs agree, then I wonder if they'll make any reference to the Manitou's attitude about what happened around that time.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post
        ​Yeah, basically, I'm fishing for possible Aesir/Native story hooks.
        In terms of setting up a historical campaign, or for running a modern campaign driven by the consequences of long-ago interactions?

Comment

Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post

​Yeah, I thought they were pretty close to Algonquin territory. If the devs agree, then I wonder if they'll make any reference to the Manitou's attitude about what happened around that time.
          From what I recall isn't the prevailing theory that the Norse colonists were eventually assimilated into the native tribes by marriage? So I can't see them having a terrible relationship. The Aseir are pretty free about marrying outside your culture and I can't see the winning side holding too much of a grudge, especially considering the turmoil that came in the wake of the more Theoi related cultures in later centuries.

But now I'm excited at the possibilities that opens up as far as weird scion concepts.

Comment

If I remember correctly, there was actually a Norse saga written about what happened. It was basically that the Norse settlers traded with the Natives, but got them all sick with the new diseases they brought with them. The Natives got pissed because they thought the settlers cursed them or something and attacked them. Most of the settlers died, the ones who didn't left and the Norse back home decided it was too much effort to try and colonise there. Then they forgot about it.

So that is something that you could play with.
            Last edited by Crying; 11-12-2016, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I think I heard the North American colony was one of the few times when the Vikings were actually driven from an area they claimed. There may have been a some intermarriage and there was definitely trade. If the Manitou and the Aesir did meet during this time, I'd say the interaction was a mixed bag of cooperation and conflict, just like most of the Aesir's dealings.

​So, yeah, sounds like it would be interesting to explore this era from BOTH a historical setting perspective and as a modern-era consequences perspective. That's basically the spark of two possible games right there.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Can't paste a link but...
                RejectedPrincesses.com Freydis Eiriksdottir

The sea looks at the stability of the mountain and sighs. The mountain watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

Comment

Update: Here's some sources if you want 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Crying View Post
                    Update: Here's some sources if you want 'em.
                    ​Thanks! I actually found that site a while back, but I couldn't find it after that. That'll be very helpful for research purposes.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Working...
                    X