Pantheon Preview: The Teotl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pantheon Preview: The Teotl

I figured this deserves its own thread, but I have to confess that I don't know enough about Aztec myth to say anything about it other than that it all seems very cool! I do have to question Tezcatlipoca's lack of a Beasts (Jaguar) Purview, but that could just be my own ignorance. I'm also a little sad to not yet see a "thoughts on other Pantheons" section, but I'm sure those will make it in. And is the multiple/plural Tezcatlipocas really a thing? I've never heard of it before.

Discuss away!
    Last edited by atamajakki; 11-30-2016, 08:43 PM.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

I know pretty much nothing about the Teotl, but what I see here? I like. There's a LOT of options I had in mind for my Teotl-born Scion.

Huehuecoyotl I'd never heard of, but in hindsight it's not surprising that the Aztecs would have a dedicated party God.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
      IAnd is the multiple/plural Tezcatlipocas really a thing? I've never heard of it before.Discuss away!
      Griff is the Aztec expert, but I do know the Tezcatlipoca thing is totally correct. There are Four Tezcatlipocas. One White, one Black, one Red, and one Blue IIRC. It's like a title for the rulers of the Pantheon. The Black Tezcatlipoca however we just call Tezcatlipoca, as his real name is... unknown. I don't know if it's a in-universe unknown, or something that's been lost to history.

Comment

Originally posted by Watcher View Post

Griff is the Aztec expert, but I do know the Tezcatlipoca thing is totally correct. There are Four Tezcatlipocas. One White, one Black, one Red, and one Blue IIRC. It's like a title for the rulers of the Pantheon. The Black Tezcatlipoca however we just call Tezcatlipoca, as his real name is... unknown. I don't know if it's a in-universe unknown, or something that's been lost to history.
        As I understand it, the B​lack Tezcatlipoca's true name MAY have been known, but was not spoken, for fear that he might hear it. Xipe Totec is the Red*,Quetzalcoatl is the White, and Huitzilopochtli is the Blue, IIRC...

*Please don't freak out, I'm not claiming to be a Mod.
        Last edited by Mangle77; 11-30-2016, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I do have to question Tezcatlipoca's lack of a Beasts (Jaguar) Purview, but that could just be my own ignorance.
          Oh man, how did I miss that. Fixed.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            Oh man, how did I miss that. Fixed.
            Thank you!

Thankfully I don't know enough about any other Pantheon to cause a stink like I did over the Netjer.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Also, I have to say... I had expected a lot of the Nextlahualli Purview to be more related to gaining personal power from sacrifice, from how the Aztec PSP was portrayed in 1E. But I was pleasantly surprised to see that both the innate power and one of the Boons is about rewarding you for paying back those who make offerings. Which yes, makes sense... And it made me smile as I thought of the ideas.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

So - will the Coyote of other Pantheons (say the Navajo Pantheon for example) be Huehuecoyotl getting around (like Yama does in Pantheons touched by Buddhism), possibly under other Mantles - or would those be other Coyotes?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                  So - will the Coyote of other Pantheons (say the Navajo Pantheon for example) be Huehuecoyotl getting around (like Yama does in Pantheons touched by Buddhism), possibly under other Mantles - or would those be other Coyotes?
                  I would be profoundly letdown if so.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                    "They're my brothers. And me. And not me. And my kids."

"... Huehuecoyotl..."

"I got REALLY drunk."

"You're ALWAYS drunk!"

Comment

I would be profoundly letdown if so.

I don't know, I'm open to the Old Man having found his way around all over western North America. It would definitely call for different Mantles in several cases though.

(note: If he should have Beasts [Coyotes] he currently does not)

Comment

I am a happy man at this point. My only teeny complaint is the lack of Tlazolteotl - she was a fairly important Goddess. But then, the addition of Xochiquetzal, Chantico, and Itzpapalotl was very welcome indeed, so I can't really grumble. Being something of a Mythology buff, I can vouch for the Four Tezcatlipocas being a thing. And Xochipilli would no doubt be the champion of the LGBT Rights movement in a modern setting. This one is a good one, guys.

Comment

Hopefully Tlazolteotl can make her appearance in the Companion in the additional deities section.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Snit View Post
                            And Xochipilli would no doubt be the champion of the LGBT Rights movement in a modern setting. This one is a good one, guys.
                            I had a character concept whose only major thing was "DJ Teotl Scion". After reading the preview, that expanded to "DJ Teotl who offers discount rates to LGBT clubs... And occasionally plays security there"

Comment

The ability to play a Scion of what is essentially La Muerte, the goddess of death and creator of Día de Los Muertos...HELL YES!

Comment

Working...
                              X