No announcement yet.

Pantheon Preview: The Teotl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was a really well-done preview! I echo Purple Snit in saying that I hope Tlazolteotl appears in the Companion, but honestly it's not that big a deal. We've already seen in the "Missing Goddesses" thread that it really isn't that hard for us to add other gods/goddesses in ourselves.

​The big question I always have about the Teotl? The preview makes it clear that the other Pantheons don't approve of what the Teotl do. The Teotl, in turn, claim that what they do is necessary for the good of the world, and they tend to be pretty contemptuous of any Pantheon that isn't (in their mind) as willing to do whatever is necessary to protect the World. That's all well and good, but how does one lend credibility to the Teotl's argument? They claim that if they stop doing what they're doing, the Sun will die and there will be no other.

​Well? The other Pantheons can easily scoff at that idea and say "Ummmm......you guys DO see that we've got no shortage of Sun Gods here in the Overworld, right? And that none of them need regular blood sacrifices to keep doing what they do, right?"

​How should this argument be handled? If the Teotl are 100% right, then they are basically the only Pantheon that matters, and the other Pantheons should just shut up and let them do their thing. If the Teotl are 100% wrong, then the other Pantheons could literally just stand back and wait for them to die off and, in the minds of the other Pantheons, the World will be better off with one less Pantheon of savage blood gods.

​What are some good ways to make this argument more than merely "You're wrong! See? Here's proof!" "No, YOU'RE wrong!"

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I don't know, I'm open to the Old Man having found his way around all over western North America. It would definitely call for different Mantles in several cases though.

(note: If he should have Beasts [Coyotes] he currently does not)
      I first read him AS Coyote, given that I know very little about him, and from what I do know, the old man seems very in his camp.

given the very probably Mexica influences in western NA, I could see Coyote in those pantheons being The Old Man shouldering different mantles. It would be an interesting way to show how easily gods can straddle other pantheons within their proximities. Like how I assume Epona (given her reverance in more than a few different places in Europe) has mantles for the Romans, the Tuatha, and the Nemetondevos.

other than spotting a couple typos and little grammatical things, I am loving what im seeing though. seems like a great step up from the Netjer preview. good job team!
      Last edited by Grimangel53; 12-01-2016, 10:10 AM. Reason: wanted to add a little thing.

Comment

Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post

​The big question I always have about the Teotl? The preview makes it clear that the other Pantheons don't approve of what the Teotl do. The Teotl, in turn, claim that what they do is necessary for the good of the world, and they tend to be pretty contemptuous of any Pantheon that isn't (in their mind) as willing to do whatever is necessary to protect the World. That's all well and good, but how does one lend credibility to the Teotl's argument? They claim that if they stop doing what they're doing, the Sun will die and there will be no other.

​Well? The other Pantheons can easily scoff at that idea and say "Ummmm......you guys DO see that we've got no shortage of Sun Gods here in the Overworld, right? And that none of them need regular blood sacrifices to keep doing what they do, right?"

​How should this argument be handled? If the Teotl are 100% right, then they are basically the only Pantheon that matters, and the other Pantheons should just shut up and let them do their thing. If the Teotl are 100% wrong, then the other Pantheons could literally just stand back and wait for them to die off and, in the minds of the other Pantheons, the World will be better off with one less Pantheon of savage blood gods.

​What are some good ways to make this argument more than merely "You're wrong! See? Here's proof!" "No, YOU'RE wrong!"
        I normally make both sides of it absolutely true at the same time, and I also have the rest of the Pantheons not care for various reasons.

So, the Teotl are absolutely correct that in order to continue supporting humanity through their various methods, be it carrying the sun, bringing rain, etc, they need blood sacrifices. If the sacrifices ever 100% totally stopped, The Fifth Sun is at a huge risk of ending, and requiring a recreation. (little cults have been providing what they can since the conquest) I extend this necessity to all Gods who are within a 'Teotl space', such as one of the many heavens. If you are a Deity, you need blood for the Aztec system. Now, other Pantheons when they are outside of the Aztec sphere of influence don't need this (and if the Teotl were in another Pantheon's 'place', they might not need to either. Most Pantheons keep to themselves however, it's an uncomfortable experience to have your existence as a Deity shift.) and instead have whatever limitations they have as part of their own culture.

But, the biggest point is that other Pantheons don't care, with some exceptions. The Kami care because they're obsessively focused on blood as very much a bad thing. But, the rest of the Pantheons pretty much don't care. Partly because almost everyone has human sacrifice to some degree, or had it in the past, and partly because most Pantheons don't think mortals are people, just... things that are on earth being annoying.

So, the way I deal with the arguing about who is right is that everyone is right, and the rest of the Pantheon's don't care. It doesn't make a huge amount of sense for them to care really. (I also have a bunch of other fluffy systems for different Pantheons going into other Pantheon's zones of influence. For example, a Deity in the Greek lands is 100% immortal, while a Deity in Ireland is frighteningly mortal)

Comment

So no segment on their godrealm(s)? I know they mentioned a few by name in the god writeups, but I'd have appreciated a bit more specifically dedicated there.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpharius View Post
            So no segment on their godrealm(s)? I know they mentioned a few by name in the god writeups, but I'd have appreciated a bit more specifically dedicated there.
            I don't think we've actually had a full pantheon writeup yet; it's just that previous ones have had a bit more info. I assume the Teotl's godrealms, Virtues, etc. will be in the full writeup.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

I don't think we've actually had a full pantheon writeup yet; it's just that previous ones have had a bit more info. I assume the Teotl's godrealms, Virtues, etc. will be in the full writeup.
              Actually, you have - pantheon writeups are 7.5k apiece, so the Greek and Irish pantheons were complete. So was the Netjer, but, uh, they'll be revised a bit.

Neall Raemonn Price
              Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post

Actually, you have - pantheon writeups are 7.5k apiece, so the Greek and Irish pantheons were complete. So was the Netjer, but, uh, they'll be revised a bit.
                Think I jumped to conclusions 'cause the Theoi and Tuatha didn't have any example Boons.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Also, the Theoi and Netjer writeups don't have example Titans, like the Tuatha writeup does.

Comment

Originally posted by Noneofyourbusiness View Post

Also, the Theoi and Netjer writeups don't have example Titans, like the Tuatha writeup does.

They'll be expanded a bit to cover that.

Neall Raemonn Price

Comment

How does this work out then, since every Pantheon has their PSP and boons and two virtues along with the relevant fluff segment, but the previews we've seen so far don't all have those. I assumed the previewed PSPs and virtues would be in their own segment, maybe in the purviews chapter and virtues in the chargen zone. If they all add up to the total wordcount of the pantheon, every one of those previewed is going to need to be massaged to lose text from some areas and fit the others in.

Comment

That is great!

Comment

Is coatlicue onne of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpharius View Post

How does this work out then, since every Pantheon has their PSP and boons and two virtues along with the relevant fluff segment, but the previews we've seen so far don't all have those. I assumed the previewed PSPs and virtues would be in their own segment, maybe in the purviews chapter and virtues in the chargen zone. If they all add up to the total wordcount of the pantheon, every one of those previewed is going to need to be massaged to lose text from some areas and fit the others in.
                            PSPs and Virtues are covered elsewhere.

Neall Raemonn Price

Comment

PSPs and Virtues are covered elsewhere.
                              So the 7.5k word limit is mostly referring to the fluff and god writeups? Which is fine, but when you said each thing we got was complete (if not necessarily a final draft) I got worried about how much space was going to need to be cut from some things to fit in obligatory stuff every pantheon has. I didn't stop and do a word count of each document which would have probably more helpfully shown that.

Comment

This is the Pantheon I'm most looking forward to playing, there's just something visceral about them.

Comment

Working...
                                X