No announcement yet.

My Scion Shard Is... The Dresden Files?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Scion Shard Is... The Dresden Files?

Like everyone else here, I look forward to Scion 2e. In my case, though, one reason I want it is to play something other than Scion.

A year or two ago, my gaming group gave the Dresden Files RPG a try. Bluntly, we hated it. The underlying system has interesting points, but we did not like the execution. Some issues were matters of taste: Clearly, the designer had different notions of what mattered for the game. But there were also issues of clarity, completeness and organization that drove us up the wall.

It's a dire thing when a game's rules makes you long for the comparative clarity, rigor and completeness of a White Wolf product.

Still, we do want to play a Dresden Files campaign, so I looked at other game systems we knew well to see if they could handle the task. I concluded that Scion probably came closest to what we wanted. As a test, I wrote some Scion-based adaptations for DF:tRPG game mechanics, and they seem to work well.

A complete adaptation, though, would be a *lot* of work... and 1st ed. Scion had its own problems that would need fixing. Then the word came of a Second Edition, and I put the project on hold until that comes out, hopefully with fixes for 1e's issues.

2e looks like it's well on it's way. I hope that before another year passes, my group can finally play a Dresden Files campaign with rules we can stand.

Dean Shomshak

Time to kickstart the inevitable discussion: what kind of Scion is Dresden himself? (I've long since ascertained that he's every kind of Exalt at once.)
    I'm gonna go with Scion of Odin, but his staff channels Fire and Sky.

But sexually.

Comment

Unrelated to anything, but the devs have acknowledged that Dresden Files has a lot of mechanical bugbears in it and there's an upcoming Dresden Files Accelerated that looks to fix most of them. Fate is delightful, but not the clunky proto-Fate DFRPG used. Don't let it sour you on my favorite system.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

The Dresden Files series would work really well as Scion adventures... hmm...

Either way, I've been intending to have references in my Scion campaigns no matter what. Like the fact that Chicago is a supposed neutral zone in the Titan War.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis View Post
          Time to kickstart the inevitable discussion: what kind of Scion is Dresden himself? (I've long since ascertained that he's every kind of Exalt at once.)
          I'm gonna go with Scion of Odin, but his staff channels Fire and Sky.
          Dresden's Cherrysid as fuck.

As for what he is in the context of Scion.....well, we are getting Sorcerers being things.

Comment

Originally posted by Nervaqus987 View Post
            As for what he is in the context of Scion.....well, we are getting Sorcerers being things.
            IIRC, Sorcerers in Scion are beings who basically stole the powers of gods.

I wonder if Scion Origins will have mechanics that can be refluffed for "Born when the stars are right"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Harry is the godson of the Queen of the Faeries, so he would be of some sort of Tuatha de Danaan lineage, imo.

Comment

I still haven't gotten around to reading the latest books, so I might be wrong about this, but we still don't know who Harry's mother is do we? In Scion, whoever she is, she's probably a goddess. Probably some sort of fire goddess considering his propensity towards it and she's most likely from a European pantheon... Brigid, maybe?

Comment

Honestly, Harry's mother Margaret is mentioned but there's little enough about her aside from Harry's memories and the things that his mentor told him (some not so willingly) about her. She could easily have been a goddess largely enjoying Psychopomp (hence her mapping out Ways, and leaving them in a format that her son would later be able to use). Could be that she was somehow in with the Tuatha de Danaan, but then again she was said to have run to them when she got herself in some big trouble (or at least pretended to). Any free spirited female travel deity (or male deity with shapeshifting a la Loki) could be the one.

Honestly I kind of like the idea of Loki as Harry's mother. Aside from the fact that he's never been shy about shapechanging into a female and bearing children, Loki's legend is all tied up in him thinking he was so very clever, then coming unstuck at the worst possible time. Which rather resembles Harry's life. Just when things are quiet Harry's life goes to crap.

If I wanted to up the ante (and I do!) I'd consider that Harry's original force ring, the one he stored kinetic energy in before he got a bunch more, could even be a shard of, or the actual golden ring Andvari, which brought both great wealth (in Harry's case the sometimes insane luck that saves him so very often, or his ability to make friends and allies where it should be impossible) but also extracts a great price.

There. Now I have to do this. Wonderful :P

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Snit View Post
                    Harry is the godson of the Queen of the Faeries, so he would be of some sort of Tuatha de Danaan lineage, imo.
                    Technically he's the godson of Lea, who, while high-ranked, is NOT a Queen. At least not in the same sense that Mab is.

Edit: Though for the sake of the Chosen Genesis I wager "Mentored by a Sidhe" is close enough.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

My current pet theory is that on his mortal/wizard side, he's a direct descendant of the original Merlin. We know his apprenticeship through Ebeneezer goes back to Merlin directly due to an offhand comment when Harry was visiting McCoy's lab. (Specifically that McCoy has the original Merlin's spellbooks on his shelf.) Then there's the tradition of passing skills/talents down from parent to child. Or in this case, grandparent to grandchild. It would explain the Council's worry that Harry is getting too much power too fast. They know his ancestry and they know what it might mean. The original Merlin's power with Harry's 'immaturity' is a bad combination, especially given that he's already broken the First Law.

Then he's the godchild of Lea, who is supposedly second in power to Mab, and Mab's right hand. Though they are objectively rough on him, from their point of view they are being kind to Harry. Given what they do to everyone else, they are amazingly soft on him and that makes me wonder why. I wouldn't be surprised if there is something outside of 'obligation' to Margaret that makes them so relatively nice. (Well, that and he has the balls to stand up to them, which is probably a refreshing challenge.)

Coming back around to Scion, I'd call Harry an Incarnation of Merlin depending on where Merlin ends up in the greater mythology. Then on top of that Lea is a Guide, if an unpredictable one. Depending where you are in the series, he may or may not have Relics from Mab. His magic type items are all self made, so I'm not sure how they fit in.

Comment

I should note that my Dresden Files adaptation doesn't use any of Scion's setting. (Though the DF have established there *are* gods... Harry's met at leat two!) I just intend to use the system and wider architecture to represent the various sorts of vampires, demons and other critters in the Dresdenverse.

For mortal wizardry, I was going to use a combination of Boons for routine spells such as Harry's shield bracelet and blasting rod, with stripped-down Mage: The Awakening rules for freeform and ritual magic. But before I develop anything in detail, I want to see Scion 2e.

As for DF:tRPG, yeah, I've heard that other games have given much better treatments of the FATE system.

Ariketh just sparked an idea. In the scene he mentions, McCoy says that as his apprentice, someday Harry will inherit his magical workbooks just as he inherited those of his teacher, and so on back to Merlin. The conceit of the DF books is that they are Harry's own memoire/case files. Which makes me wonder if Ebenezer McCoy's books include any memoires of *his* adventures.

Well, Jim Butcher has done a couple novellas from the POV of Thomas and Karrin Murphy. I bet I'd enjoy reading some of Ebenezer McCoy's adventures, too -- maybe a look back to when he was a young wizard.

Dean Shomshak

Comment

Working...
                        X