How to handle Guides?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to handle Guides?

So this is something I've been toying around in my head for quite a while and I want to hear how you guys handle the Mentors and Guides in your games? Do they run around with your Scions? Or do they stay somewhere specific and the Scions have to go there to consult with the Guide?
    I tend to think the books tell the latter, but it just seem so inconvenient for my Scions all the way up in Antarctica to go back do a New Orleans cemetary just to contact an old woman who might not even know that much about what they want. But on the other, having Artemis or Amaterasu glued on your character seems pretty damn weird too.
    (I'm running the system from the guys at Scion 2.0, so I'm particularly interested in how they [or 'you'] run them.)
    Have a pleasant day, cheers!

I suppose one could argue that having to be inconvenienced in order to gain valuable intel is status quo for Scions!

That said, one common thing I've seen is minor relics used specifically to communicate with a Scion's Guide, ranging from a cell phone decoration to divination tools.

Comment

A lot of the time there's some way of contacting them, but yeah, it kind of depends on the guide. Some, like the crystal skull, are always around. Others you need to seek out.

Comment

Everyone runs their games differently, but in most of our games Guides are somewhat distant from the party. Artemis is busy tracking down the latest monster threatening her sacred woods, several dwarven brothers are hammering away at their latest creation in the forge beneath the mountain, and the police commissioner is burning the midnight oil at his ordinary job.

But we don't recommend making it particularly difficult to get in contact with your Guides. Scion RAW recommends paying 1 Dot of Relic to have magical communication with your Guide. There's nothing wrong with that, but most guides have perfectly reasonable ways to speak with them unless they are intentionally trying to be hermits. The police commissioner is certain to have a normal phone, Artemis can hear sincere prayers directed her way, and the dwarven brothers might have messenger birds (or might also have phones if you want more modern in your modern fantasy).

Of course, there are social consequences for pestering anyone too much.

As for those Guides that are hard to reach? Often one person in a party has some kind of communication Relic, such as a cell phone that works in any plane of existence, an internet connection that does the same, a raven that can unerringly fly to almost anyone and deliver a hand written message (tied to his foot), and other awesome things. This can be a great moment for that communication Relic to shine.

And once in a while, you just have to hoof it to Mount RidiculouslyTall to consult with your ancient sensei who refuses to touch a phone or even a magical carrier pidgeon. Such is the price for supernatural insight into a world shattering problem.

There is nothing that says a Guide cannot travel around with you for a scene or two if it suits the story you are trying to tell. But most of the time, Retainers (Creatures and Followers for those who do not Scion 2.0) are the ones who consistently go on adventures with the band.

Comment

Originally posted by Iry View Post
          Everyone runs their games differently, but in most of our games Guides are somewhat distant from the party. Artemis is busy tracking down the latest monster threatening her sacred woods, several dwarven brothers are hammering away at their latest creation in the forge beneath the mountain, and the police commissioner is burning the midnight oil at his ordinary job.

But we don't recommend making it particularly difficult to get in contact with your Guides. Scion RAW recommends paying 1 Dot of Relic to have magical communication with your Guide. There's nothing wrong with that, but most guides have perfectly reasonable ways to speak with them unless they are intentionally trying to be hermits. The police commissioner is certain to have a normal phone, Artemis can hear sincere prayers directed her way, and the dwarven brothers might have messenger birds (or might also have phones if you want more modern in your modern fantasy).

Of course, there are social consequences for pestering anyone too much.

As for those Guides that are hard to reach? Often one person in a party has some kind of communication Relic, such as a cell phone that works in any plane of existence, an internet connection that does the same, a raven that can unerringly fly to almost anyone and deliver a hand written message (tied to his foot), and other awesome things. This can be a great moment for that communication Relic to shine.

And once in a while, you just have to hoof it to Mount RidiculouslyTall to consult with your ancient sensei who refuses to touch a phone or even a magical carrier pidgeon. Such is the price for supernatural insight into a world shattering problem.

There is nothing that says a Guide cannot travel around with you for a scene or two if it suits the story you are trying to tell. But most of the time, Retainers (Creatures and Followers for those who do not Scion 2.0) are the ones who consistently go on adventures with the band.
          I'm kinda following this rule where the most dots the Guide have, the most difficulty the Scion will find to contact him, because they'll have some really valuable information, like Yukikaze mentioned.
          That was informative, thank you all for the answers!

Comment

I generally view it as the higher dot guides will often have better things to do, and won't be able to give you instant and personal help as consistently but will be more likely to have correct or relevant information. Granted a guide that is always able to assist is probably worth the same as an amazingly powerful and well informed guide that sends you an email three weeks after you try to reach them. A cross section of ability, availability, and dedication.

Comment

Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post
              A cross section of ability, availability, and dedication.
              Knows Relevant Information
              Helpful Personality
              Easily Reached

Choose Any Two!

Comment

Originally posted by Iry View Post
                Knows Relevant Information
                Helpful Personality
                Easily Reached

Choose Any Two!
                Two outta three ain't bad, I gotta say.

Given how often guides are in hard-to-reach places... I wonder if regular travel to/from Terrae Incognita gives you Frequent Traveller miles...
                Last edited by yukikaze; 12-20-2016, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X