Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on creating New Pantheon (1st Ed)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on creating New Pantheon (1st Ed)

Hi there! So, as I like to do when I have free time, I'm writing up a homebrew, this time making the Valar from Tolkien's mythologies as a Pantheon- however, other than the fact that they are a fairly young Pantheon, having been created due to the effect humans have on Fate, what do people think I should do for their history and Purview? Should I adapt Tolkien's creation myths to the Scion World, or create an entirely new mythology for them? (Also I have no idea what sort of Purview they should have, really)

This was a half assed attempt at making an Ainur Pantheon for 1e I made a while ago. I didn't finish it, but it should give you an idea on what to do, or even work as a starting point if you want.

Here's a downloadable word document, if you'd prefer to have that instead of a google document.
    Last edited by Crying; 12-19-2016, 09:37 PM. Reason: I sure do love all the typos I make

Comment

Awesome, thank you! I'll give it a look over!

Comment

I was thinking of having the Purview Ainulindalë be all about creating and shaping things, how does that idea sound?

Comment

Here are the first two dots I came up with:
          Forge-Song of Aule (Ainulindale *)
          Dice Pool: Wits + Crafts
          Cost: 1 Legend
          Singing a song of while crafting an object, a Scion adds (Legend + Successes on the Activation roll) as automatic successes to the crafting roll. Note that despite the name, this Boon can be used on any Crafts roll, from forging a sword to painting a portrait
          Dream-Song of Lorien (Ainulindale **)
          Dice Pool: Intelligence + Empathy
          Cost: 1 Legend
          This Boon allows a Scion to cause themselves or others to have either pleasant, soothing dreams, or nightmares of war and death. The first option allows the target to regain Willpower points equal to the Scion’s (Legend /2) the next time they sleep, upon a successful roll. The second option causes the target to lose the same amount of Willpower upon a successful roll. These powers cannot be used on the same target within a week, and cannot be used together.

Comment

Tolkien intended Middle Earth to be our world in a forgotten past, he was also motivated to invent a unique native mythology for England, a country whose myths were a mishmash of foreign Welsh, Frankish, Saxon, Irish and Celtic influences. Maybe you could have the Valar be the pantheon of pre-historic England? That way you could easily merge Tolkien into the Scion setting, maybe have continents like Valinor be Terra Incognita. I imagine relations between the Valar and the Tuatha would be entertaining to say the least.

Considering the importance of song in his works maybe their Purview should involve shaping things through music and song? Morgoth will also make a great Titan Avatar of Corruption.

Comment

Corax you read my mind about the Purview! Also, I like the idea of having them be pre-historic English Gods, who used Tolkien as an oracle to re-spread knowledge of them, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by TheScottishFianna View Post
                I was thinking of having the Purview Ainulindalë be all about creating and shaping things, how does that idea sound?
                I mean, that's what Ainulindale is, so that makes sense. Your examples work well.

Comment

I wasn't quite sure if they were "broken" then remembered I'm writing this for Scion 1st ed xD

Comment

Originally posted by Corax View Post
                    Tolkien intended Middle Earth to be our world in a forgotten past, he was also motivated to invent a unique native mythology for England, a country whose myths were a mishmash of foreign Welsh, Frankish, Saxon, Irish and Celtic influences. Maybe you could have the Valar be the pantheon of pre-historic England? That way you could easily merge Tolkien into the Scion setting, maybe have continents like Valinor be Terra Incognita. I imagine relations between the Valar and the Tuatha would be entertaining to say the least.
                    Yeah, that works/makes sense.

Considering the importance of song in his works maybe their Purview should involve shaping things through music and song?
                    That does indeed seem to be what they're going with.

Morgoth will also make a great Titan Avatar of Corruption.
                    While I didn't as far as Titans, and as such didn't end up deciding on who they're enemy was, I had a couple of ideas in mind.

One of them was that their enemy would have been Ainu himself, having gone crazy or something. I probably wouldn't have done that and would have either had him be a friendly Titan or go the Yazata route and not say what he was and have him dissapear.

The other option was, obviously, having Morgoth have found a Titanrealm/Greater Titan when he wanderd off into the void in search of the flame and get seduced by it. I originally was thinking of having it be the Destruction titanrealm, though Corruption works a lot better considering how evil is treated in Tolkien's work.

I also briefly considered having them oppose a sort of 'Titanrealm of Reality' sort of thing that was trying to destroy them due to their status as a fictional pantheon that had somehow come to life, but only briefly.

Comment

Here is the view link for the WIP doc incase anyone wants a peek: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...p=docslist_api

Comment

Originally posted by TheScottishFianna View Post
                        Here is the view link for the WIP doc incase anyone wants a peek: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...p=docslist_api
                        You seem to be going with the idea that they were created by Tolkien, rather than them being the ancient english gods as suggested. Any particular reason for this?

Comment

Tbh it's just because I wrote that before starting this thread and havent changed it yet

Comment

Working...
                          X