Reading 1E for 2E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading 1E for 2E

A cunning storyteller has given me Scion fever. This may be somewhere in What We Know or such and I missed it, but are there particular parts of 1E worth reading for thinking about 2E?

I like the Intro Fiction, oddly enough. For Hero especially, but the one for God and Demigod are decent too.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Yeah, the intro fictions are decent enough.

...uh, read some stuff as examples of what not to do, I suppose?

Comment

Yeah, the intro fictions are pretty good. Everything else, for various reasons, probably would not be helpful. If you're looking for stuff to get you into the mood for Scion, you can start delving into myths if you'd like. If you need any suggestions, folks here are happy to provide.

Comment

Now I'm remembering a friend of mine making comments about the snippets of the intro fiction for 2E that were revealed in the Kickstarter. Namely that having seen fragments, he considers "Seeing the full Intro Fiction" to be a worthwhile perk of having the whole book in front of him.

Because dangit WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN WITH THEIR RELATIONSHIP?!

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Well in that case - what are some good short sources for Netjer, Amatsukami, Shen, Manitou, or Orisha?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicias View Post
              Well in that case - what are some good short sources for Netjer, Amatsukami, Shen, Manitou, or Orisha?
              While it fails to be short, I have written a big collection of information on the Kami, including historical, and cultural details as well as a revision to the RAW Pantheon if that would interest you. It is broken up into smaller bits and pieces which hopefully would serve to give you some enjoyable reading material.

If you are interested in Chinese Mythology, I really enjoyed Chinese Gods and Chinese Mythological Gods by Keith Stevens (almost the exact same name, same author, and yet are both quite different). Neither of them were great slogs, and they did a great job giving a lot of context for the figures, really brilliant honestly.

The Netjer, you are actually in luck with. There is a deluge of stuff on the Netjer all over the place. I can't say I have read all of these, and... well, they are quite old now, but Sacred Texts has a whole section on Egyptian mythology. Just be careful reading those, keep an eye out for anything odd. Those would be written with colonial mindsets, and the English went a bit funny over the Egyptians. Be on the look out for anything that is being produced by a cult, which probably sounds insane, but some crop up, and they're not the most... accurately minded.

The Manitou are... tricky. Allen, the author of the Manitou Pantheon for 2e has explained the difficulties quite well on Kickstarter, but he did mention Basil Johnston's version of the myths (primarily drawing from the Ojibwe) forming the core of the work. Allen specifically mentioned Manitous: Spiritual World of the Ojibway, but Johnston has published a lot of stuff at a glance. I have never read them though, so, I can't really say anything about his works.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                I like the Intro Fiction, oddly enough. For Hero especially, but the one for God and Demigod are decent too.

I was surprised to find like 30 pages or so just giving an opening narrative to set the tone of the 1E books. It was an entertaining read, and definitely got me interested to read further.

I was caught off guard by the quantity of nudity in the books, though. And then I remembered A) White Wolf books are targeted towards mature players, and B) This is centered in mythology where stuff like that is a common occurrence.

If I had to make a gripe about the game, though, it would have to be that once your character becomes a god, they tend to adopt a new identity. For somebody like me who only knows English and has never made a real effort to study another, it becomes incredibly difficult for me to think up proper character names at that point. I want to get more involved in the oriental pantheons like Japanese and Chinese, but their names are often poetic and mean something. So when I throw together a bunch of words, it may come across as a bunch of gibberish to any native speaker.

Comment

Working...
                X