Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mind/Dream Purviews?

Hi guys!
    Does anyone know of a good and balanced Mind or Dream purview? Recently I've been reading Sandman and having some ideas, but nothing in Scion really gets where I want to go.
    Anyway, thanks beforehand, happy holidays!

Originally posted by Havoc View Post
    Hi guys!
    Does anyone know of a good and balanced Mind or Dream purview? Recently I've been reading Sandman and having some ideas, but nothing in Scion really gets where I want to go.
    I don't think I have seen any really detailed one done up before, but what I will suggest is actually using the Illusion Purview. Illusion works wonders as a Purview for Dream Deities. There are so few that an entire Purview for them is a lot of effort for little use, but Illusion fills the gap wonderfully. All that is needed is giving the Illusion Purview a Boon that allows 'entering' a dream, and you are sorted. Allow the Illusion Boons to craft the dreamscape for free, or drastically reduced costs, etc.

Now, this also allows actual Illusions to be re-fluffed as daydreams, or similar. Technically, a pure and proper Dream Purview would be very... niche, needing targets to be asleep before you get to use your Purview. However, basing it off the Illusion Purview, with Illusions re-fluffed as daydreams, or other hallucinations allows Dream Scions to be more functional in the waking world, and allows them to actually flex their divine muscles on screen more often. (Also, there is a problem where if Dream can only interact with dreams, the rest of the Band has to be benched to some degree while the Dream Scion plays around. This way really prevents some tricky situations)

Comment

Originally posted by Watcher View Post

I don't think I have seen any really detailed one done up before, but what I will suggest is actually using the Illusion Purview. Illusion works wonders as a Purview for Dream Deities. There are so few that an entire Purview for them is a lot of effort for little use, but Illusion fills the gap wonderfully. All that is needed is giving the Illusion Purview a Boon that allows 'entering' a dream, and you are sorted. Allow the Illusion Boons to craft the dreamscape for free, or drastically reduced costs, etc.

Now, this also allows actual Illusions to be re-fluffed as daydreams, or similar. Technically, a pure and proper Dream Purview would be very... niche, needing targets to be asleep before you get to use your Purview. However, basing it off the Illusion Purview, with Illusions re-fluffed as daydreams, or other hallucinations allows Dream Scions to be more functional in the waking world, and allows them to actually flex their divine muscles on screen more often. (Also, there is a problem where if Dream can only interact with dreams, the rest of the Band has to be benched to some degree while the Dream Scion plays around. This way really prevents some tricky situations)
      I hadn't thought of that, thanks!
      That may lead to some interesting things. Recently I've been fiddling with the underlying mythology, the Scion mythology, in my game, and that would include a sort of "Collective Unconscious", just like the Anima Mundi in the original WoD. But yeah, Illusion would work very well with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Havoc View Post
        Hi guys!

Considering Purviews give you the freedom to invent your own boons, I like to imagine that there is a Psychopomp boon that allows you to step into the minds of others.

The idea comes from Shrodinger from the Hellsing series, who's power is essentially omnipresence. He's exists everywhere and nowhere at the same time, including being inside the minds of other people.

Comment

I vaguely recall Neall saying that Darkness may have some dreamwalking powers

Disclaimer: My memory can be spotty. It might have been Vance saying something, or a different Purview

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
            I vaguely recall Neall saying that Darkness may have some dreamwalking powers

Disclaimer: My memory can be spotty. It might have been Vance saying something, or a different Purview
            Second Edition's Darkness Purview encompasses dreams, yeah.

For Mind stuff, there's also Deception (neé Illusion) and Passion.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Would Sage have Knacks for being a super-teacher (i.e. granting mortals mind-expanding skill dots)?
              Last edited by glamourweaver; 12-27-2016, 06:41 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                Would Scholar have Knacks for being a super-teacher (i.e. granting mortals mind-expanding skill dots)?
                That sort of stuff can be found in Sage knacks, as well as in certain Purviews—Artistry can make you a perfect muse, and Fire can stoke the flames of the mind, for example.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Thanks, I meant "Sage," yeah...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                    That sort of stuff can be found in Sage knacks, as well as in certain Purviews—Artistry can make you a perfect muse, and Fire can stoke the flames of the mind, for example.
                    Can sages read péople's minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                      Can sages read péople's minds?

I wouldn't be surprised if "general telepathy" isn't really a thing, but different Callings had different information gathering Knacks that would fall under that broad umbrella - Judges can tell truth from lies, Lovers can tell what you most desire, etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                        Goddamn you guys! You make me too hyped for the 2e! Can hardly wait. =D

Comment

Working...
                        X