Mantles and Previews?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mantles and Previews?

So I didn't read other topics for a few weeks, focusing only on some isolated threads and my own. Now I start to read them and everybody's talking about "Mantles" or something like it's usual business. Can anyone explain it to me / have a link that explains it?

Mantles are a new concept for 2e. To quote Neall, the developer:

A mantle is your divine identity, the ur-identity existing within Fate from which you draw your divine power. To a certain extent, you are your mantle, and it is you, even when you can separate them. Incarnations spin out of the Mantle. Gods are far more intimately tied to their mantles than demigods and heroes; that which binds their mantle in Fate, binds them as well, and they have to be extraordinarily careful about what they do outside the identity they've made for themselves. Of course, you can have multiple mantles... Relics can be part of a mantle. A good example is Mjolnir being part of Thor's Legend. It can be metaphorical as well, and often is, which is how Loki became associated with fire.
    Neall makes the point that gods can have multiple mantles. This is for cases where a god has multiple personae, whether within a culture - like the Dagda, who has a mantle as the Red Man of All Knowledge - or in a different culture, as with many of the Theoi - e.g. Ares has a mantle as Mars, representing the particular Roman conception of him.

Mantles can also be stolen - Loki did this to Logi to become a god of fire.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post
      Mantles are a new concept for 2e. To quote Neall, the developer:

Neall makes the point that gods can have multiple mantles. This is for cases where a god has multiple personae, whether within a culture - like the Dagda, who has a mantle as the Red Man of All Knowledge - or in a different culture, as with many of the Theoi - e.g. Ares has a mantle as Mars, representing the particular Roman conception of him.

Mantles can also be stolen - Loki did this to Logi to become a god of fire.
      Oh cool!
      Thanks for the answer!

Comment

Working...
      X