Great Scions of Fiction!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Scions of Fiction!

I decided this might be a little less fractious than the "Great Scions of History" thread.

To kick us off, since my wife has been binging on original-flavor CSI lately, I'll posit Gil Grissom as a Scion of Thoth. (I haven't given too much thought to the others yet, though Jim Brass strikes me as a Scion of Horus...)

Hmm....I kinda had it in my head for a bit that Walter White might be a scion of Tezcatlipoca, having both a keen mind and a penchant for destruction. The fact that he drives an Aztek would probably come up too. Also I will give 500 imaginary Imortan Joe Fun Bucks to whoever has the best argument for which god or goddess bore "Mad" Max Rockatansky. Been thinking about that one for a while...

Comment

Kvothe, the protagonist of Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller novels, might make a good model for a Scion of Hermes. He's a flaming genius, very much a trickster (who sometimes gets caught by his own schemes), an inventor and musician (Hermes invented the lyre, IIRC), and a prodigy at the quasi-scientific magic of his world -- though his obsession is to find the deeper, storybook-style magic of Naming that grants direct control instead of mere redirection of forces. He is also a skilled actor and liar, which adds a level of complexity to the first-person narrative.

Dean Shomshak

Comment

Wonder Woman is absolutely a modern Scion. Depending on which version of her Origin is true,(there's some confusion about that at the moment...) she's either a natural Born daughter of Zeus; or a Construct. Either way, she has the Amazon Template as part of her Path; her mother is Hippolyta, Queen of Themyscira.

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
        I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

Comment

Originally posted by DShomshak View Post
          Kvothe, the protagonist of Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller novels, might make a good model for a Scion of Hermes. He's a flaming genius, very much a trickster (who sometimes gets caught by his own schemes), an inventor and musician (Hermes invented the lyre, IIRC), and a prodigy at the quasi-scientific magic of his world -- though his obsession is to find the deeper, storybook-style magic of Naming that grants direct control instead of mere redirection of forces. He is also a skilled actor and liar, which adds a level of complexity to the first-person narrative.

Dean Shomshak
          ‚ÄčI actually think Kvothe fits better as a Tuatha scion, maybe of Lugh. He's brilliant, proficient in several fields, a magician and musician of the highest caliber, he's even had dealings with the Fair Folk.

Comment

Good point. (I just know Greek myths better than Irish, so that's what I think of first.)

DS

Comment

I'd have to second Lugh for Kvothe. For Hermes, I'll go with two characters I just finished reading about....Locke Lamora from Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series and Kaz Brekker from Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows, a spin-off of her Shadow and Bone trilogy. If you love reading about heists and rogues, I cannot recommend these books enough.

Comment

Skwisgaar Skwigelf taller than a tree.

Fatherklok strongly implies divine ancestry making this crypto-canon! Probably son of Balder or something.

Comment

Ron Swanson - Scion of an American God of some kind.

Comment

You could do a pretty interesting Victorian chronicle with Sherlock Holmes, Allan Quartermain, Dorian Gray, Mowgli, and Mina Harker as Scions. Just not sure who they'd be offspring of.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                      You could do a pretty interesting Victorian chronicle with Sherlock Holmes, Allan Quartermain, Dorian Gray, Mowgli, and Mina Harker as Scions. Just not sure who they'd be offspring of.
                      League of Extraordinary Scions?! I love it!

Comment

Would Mina Harker be a "Chosen" of a particular macabre and blood-thirsty Slavic god?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                          Would Mina Harker be a "Chosen" of a particular macabre and blood-thirsty Slavic god?
                          Possible. Or maybe she's the offspring of one of brighter ones, and he's a servant of the Titans.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
                          X