Hero Fiction Teaser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hero Fiction Teaser

(The second chapter opener, by Lauren Roy. Enjoy!)

Sights you expect to see, on a perfect summer's twilight in the park:

Children playing.

Couples stealing kisses.

Dogs catching frisbees, or snuffling about tree trunks and fenceposts and other dogs.

Parents and caretakers chatting, checking their phones, digging snacks out of backpacks.

But a giant, pissed-off serpent winding its way around the now-abandoned playground? Not so much.

Eric had heard about it on the radio, as he was driving through town. The local newscaster had tried really hard to keep his cool, but the gibber kept threatening to break through his dispassionate reporter tone. The mic picked up the faint screams in the background, from parkgoers who were, inexplicably, still in the vicinity.

Probably staying to film it all, he'd thought, as he'd set the GPS to direct him to the park in question.

The police had cordoned off the playground, which was good. They had apparently forgotten the part where the serpent had dug its way out of the ground to start, which was bad. If it decided to tunnel out, the sawhorses and waving hands weren't going to keep it penned in. But at least they were keeping people out, for now, and the serpent was busy winding itself around swings and slides and issuing forth the occasional terrifying shriek.

Eric wasn't big on cashing in on what fame he'd earned, but this time, when one of the officers said, "Oh, you're that godling," and waved him and Giantsbane through, he didn't give him the old aw-shucks.

The serpent saw him coming. Gods, it was ugly — twenty feet long, the pale blue of a frostbite victim's fingernails, and scales that resembled the same. It had several sets of stubby legs, each ending in a set of wicked, clawed feet. It didn't so much have a face as it had a mouthful of fangs, and several of them dripped with venom.

Eric couldn't help but watch as a drop of drool hit the playground sand and hissed. Was this the day, then? He'd been hoping he could avoid the death the Sagas had set for his father, the serpent's poison that would finally fell the mighty Thor. Was there a Norn even now singing the end of his tale?

Then he heard the soft cry from the plastic spaceship-thing, a space for kids to crawl around in and, in this unfortunate kid's case, fall asleep.
    No time to wonder where the kid's parents were. The serpent had heard him, too, and slithered towards the sound.

"HEY. Over here, you asshole." Eric ran for the serpent, caught the tip of its tail in one hand, and yanked. The serpent spun, hissing, its maw wide open. It struck lightning-quick, but what was that kind of speed to the god of thunder's son? Eric dove sideways, keeping his grip. A dozen reptilian feet scrabbled for purchase in the gravel but got no traction.

Too bad he hadn't taken the seesaw into account. Eric's feet tangled in the supports, sending him sprawling. The serpent whipped its tail out of his hands and planted two pairs of front feet on his chest, pinning him to the ground.

That awful mouth opened, filling his vision with teeth and poison.

Giantsbane roared.

The top half of the serpent's head disappeared into a cloud of pale blue scales and black ichor. Eric rolled away as the body collapsed, careful to avoid what remained of the mouth and its deadly venom.

The kid climbed out of the spaceship and made a break for his dad, who'd finally shoved his way past the line of officers. He caught Eric's eye after he'd given the kid the first of many once-overs and mouthed thank you.

Eric nodded. He wanted to get out of this park, pick the gravel out of his skin and wash the serpent's clammy touch from his skin, but he couldn't help but feel a surge of pride in a job well done. This was why he'd never leave Midgard. It was his to protect.

Neall Raemonn Price
    Beleaguered Scion Developer

Cool story.

So interesting to see how a Scion's fame can be a benefit to him/her. That's one of the things that make Scion so unique: if you want fame and glory, you can have them. Just be ready for the possible consequences.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

I can't wait to see the artwork that goes with this!

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Thank you, Neall! Good glimpse into the game and the World.

Dean Shomshak

Comment

I admit I was never quite clear in 1E how open people will be with their divine nature. It'll be fun to have characters who roll with "Yeah, I was chosen by Artemis, don't worry, I got this."

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I like this. Admittedly, I did like 1e's intro fiction (especially in Hero), but this sets the scene better and more concisely.

Comment

yukikaze I'll echo that. I actually enjoyed 1e's Hero Intro Fiction. I have a friend who felt it went on too long, but I thought it was a rather nicely-done and had some great exchanges in it.

Edit: And I have a friend of mine who, as I mentioned in another thread, wants the 1E Intro Fiction because dammit now he's INVESTED in that dang relationship drama
              Last edited by Kyman201; 01-07-2017, 08:54 PM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

1E Hero intro fiction - I want that story's final fight scene in a major movie blockbuster. I want to see how amazing that fight would look with a multi-million dollar special effects budget. (Not going to say exactly what happened because spoilers, but seriously. AWESOME)

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
                  1E Hero intro fiction - I want that story's final fight scene in a major movie blockbuster. I want to see how amazing that fight would look with a multi-million dollar special effects budget. (Not going to say exactly what happened because spoilers, but seriously. AWESOME)
                  ​Screw that! I want a whole trilogy! One for the Hero intro fiction, one for Demigod's, and one of God's!

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                  Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post

​Screw that! I want a whole trilogy! One for the Hero intro fiction, one for Demigod's, and one of God's!
                    I wouldn't object much. But right now, I'd actually be interested in more fiction about 2e's signature Scions, particularly if they're an actual Band. (Just thinking of the dynamics of a Band that has Eric Donner, Dr. Aaron Tigrillo, and Annie X in it seems like fertile ground for comedy, drama, or random violence. Or all three.)

Comment

This is neat, Eric is obviously locally famous, but I wonder if any Scions are nationally or internationally famous as "godlings"?

Comment

Originally posted by SpruceStripedGoose View Post
                        This is neat, Eric is obviously locally famous, but I wonder if any Scions are nationally or internationally famous as "godlings"?
                        International? Probably not until you're a demigod.

Comment

I assume Scions who are into the Art purview can hit international fame really easily if they feel like it. Maybe Forge and Prosperity as well.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
                          [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
                          [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post
                            Maybe Forge and Prosperity as well.
                            Neall did say that Prosperity also covers becoming the patron/"local hero" of an area. That seems to be what's happening with Eric here...

Comment

Originally posted by yukikaze View Post

Neall did say that Prosperity also covers becoming the patron/"local hero" of an area. That seems to be what's happening with Eric here...
                              ​Not sure that's what's happening there - I think that's just him having a Legend that some people know, at least in whatever area he's in. Saving people in general seems to be more his thing. Prosperity sounds like more being the guardian angel of specific places, usually a city or something I expect, and having powers that reflect that. Like maybe if a daughter of Chantico 'adopted' a Mexican town and became known not just as a hero who lives there, but as the hero​ of that town, maybe getting offerings and worship in return for her valiant efforts protecting it and helping it grow (possibly with some help from the Nextlahualli PSP and its Repay the Debt boon).

Comment

Working...
                              X