Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do people actually know of Mythic reality?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still feel a bit like I'm getting conflicting messages here. Lets say a bunch of Satyrs go on the 6 o'clock news and talk about being Satyrs and Satyr-rights to exist openly in mainstream human society. Would people be shocked non-human sapient species existed? Or is that generally known and accepted as not a big deal because they keep to themselves?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I think it was mentioned at one point that a satyr wouldn't need to hide his hooves. People seem to be well aware that those exist.

Comment

A lot of people would probably wright them off as being like these kids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q77sJT8O56E

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
          I still feel a bit like I'm getting conflicting messages here. Lets say a bunch of Satyrs go on the 6 o'clock news and talk about being Satyrs and Satyr-rights to exist openly in mainstream human society. Would people be shocked non-human sapient species existed? Or is that generally known and accepted as not a big deal because they keep to themselves?

No shirt, no shoes, no pants... no service!

The nudist colony is 5 miles that way ---->

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Orcus View Post
            A lot of people would probably wright them off as being like these kids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q77sJT8O56E
            So does a "Mist" or some equivalent automatically obscure non-human features from mortal gaze then, even without intent?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
              So does a "Mist" or some equivalent automatically obscure non-human features from mortal gaze then, even without intent?
              No.

Satyrs tend to stay out of the public eye, though Origins-level satyrs ("Greek" satyrs) look as human as you or I. We have some GM advice on how to dial up or down the level of supernatural awareness in your game, but by default, it's more of a paper-thin anti-Masquerade - people don't notice the things they don't want to.

Neall Raemonn Price
              Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Masquerade/Mist stuff might be made in a shard, but not the default setting of the World.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Let's be honest, the chances of every supernatural entity throughout all of collective mythology agreeing to stay undercover forever is downright unfeasible from a realistic standpoint. Especially for Titanspawn who are the children of primordial concepts that don't care about humanity's well being.

Apparently second edition is verging away from the idea that mortal belief has a major impact on the development of Legendary figures, which means there's less danger of being warped through public exposure. If that's the case, then mainstream society probably has something along the lines of the Calbanaro Effect going on; they witness supernatural events all the time, but they reflexively assume everything's normal until somebody comes right out and says it's a performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                    Apparently second edition is verging away from the idea that mortal belief has a major impact on the development of Legendary figures, which means there's less danger of being warped through public exposure.
                    Well apparently Fatebinding is still going to be a thing. So while mortal belief won't be as effective on a God's behavior, being all out and about in the open will increase the chances of people getting involved in your story.

Musings on Fate and Fatebinding from July of last year, to compare to how Fate was in 1E

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I'm going to post this here because for some reason my computer won't let me post a new topic. How easy would it be to do a World of Darkness/Scion 2e crossover? I'm talking strictly in terms of setting crossover, not rules crossover. I want a setting in which Scions are rare, but coexist with the creatures of the World of Darkness. After all, Kitsune and Satyrs already exist in the WoD...I chose to post this here because in order to fit in the WoD, Scions and other mythic creatures would have to have some means of remaining hidden from the general public. What do you guys think? My two choices are: A) Scions exist in the World of Darkness, or B) the Scion universe and the World of Darkness diverged at some point in the past. Please let me know which you think works better based only on setting compatibility, not rules compatibility. Thanks.

My name is Colleen. My favorite song is "Wildwood Flower." My ambition is to write the complete history of the White Wolf/Onyx Path universe.

Comment

I've personally always felt that since most people don't have legend... they generally don't perceive legendary creatures as being such. They see an unusually tall man... not the fire giant he actually is. They see the seductive Asian woman... but not the fox tails this kitsune has. Basically they tend to gloss over the fantastic features with what they expect to see... though when such creatures (and other beings with legend) start to do things that are blatantly impossible... then they may get a glimpse of what is actually happening.

​This isn't a masquerade per say... as there is no real effort made to keep things quiet or hidden... merely that most humans don't have the perception to notice such things due to their lack of legend. In places where legend is tangible (such as where Scions are expending it), then mortals can see the truth... but when the fight is over, many will end up rationalizing what they saw until they convince themselves of a version that is plausible with their own expectations of reality. It doesn't always work... especially if a mortal becomes fate-bound to a Scion... in which case their perceptions of the supernatural remain for the duration... but generally people continue on their normal lives as it is what they are comfortable with.

​Fate, in 1e, was a construct of mortal expectations... binding the supernatural in ways that mortals expected... at least to some degree. In this way, I could see that as a collective, humans generally didn't believe in the supernatural as being "real"... but rather the stuff of fairy tails, urban legend and tabloid gossip... thus Fate helped to preserve that perception... to prevent wide scale reveal of supernatural events. Cameras would malfunction or such to prevent clear pictures of supernatural beings doing impossible things... but does little to prevent people telling tales of such things... such as those told by a friend of a friend of mine. As supernatural events become more common... more and more people start to believe in it and eventually, Fate would stop hiding the supernatural in such ways... because the collective human race now believes in it as more than mere legend and stories... and is witness to the true glories of the world of Scions. It is getting to that tipping point (with 7+ billion people) that can be difficult (though in many of my games, there comes a point when world wide populations drop dramatically... reducing the hold Fate has on everything).

​I see 2e playing out in a similar fashion... that because most people don't have legend, they tend not to notice aspects of what they see as being legendary... but rather more of what they expect to see in a world that makes sense to them. They won't see giants... merely larger than normal people. They won't notice a kitsune's tails... merely that s/he was a rather attractive individual. Again, this perception can be easily shattered when Legend is used (or whatever name it is given in 2e)... revealing the truth behind the world they knew... but unless an individual becomes fate-bound, this altered perception doesn't last... and the mortal will rationalize what they saw until the story becomes plausible in their world view. Not sure how this would apply to video or photos of obvious supernatural events... but such could be seen by most in the same light as many UFO or Conspiracy Websites are seen by most... rationalized until they fit within one's perception of the world (with todays technology... it can be hard to tell what videos are real and what are faked in some way).

​I may be concerned with some of what I've seen so far... but I trust that Scion 2 will still be an amazing game and will hold my judgement until I've seen the final product.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
                        I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

It sounds like the core setting isn't going to quite fit what you want out of it, but I can't imagine it would be hard to go from 'paper thin anti-masquerade' to 'paper thin masquerade' at your own table.

Comment

That sounds reasonable. Thanks.

My name is Colleen. My favorite song is "Wildwood Flower." My ambition is to write the complete history of the White Wolf/Onyx Path universe.

Comment

Originally posted by JulianMoon View Post
                              I'm going to post this here because for some reason my computer won't let me post a new topic. How easy would it be to do a World of Darkness/Scion 2e crossover? I'm talking strictly in terms of setting crossover, not rules crossover. I want a setting in which Scions are rare, but coexist with the creatures of the World of Darkness. After all, Kitsune and Satyrs already exist in the WoD...I chose to post this here because in order to fit in the WoD, Scions and other mythic creatures would have to have some means of remaining hidden from the general public. What do you guys think? My two choices are: A) Scions exist in the World of Darkness, or B) the Scion universe and the World of Darkness diverged at some point in the past. Please let me know which you think works better based only on setting compatibility, not rules compatibility. Thanks.

I've read fiction material that crosses over Scion 1e with classic WoD (as well as X-Men, DC Superheroes and Exalted). Granted, it was pretty much a collection of Mary Sue stories in which the Scion comes in to blow away massive plot line spoilers and show off how superior she is to literally every character she comes across, but the Camarilla decided it was best to avoid pissing off a new goddess with the sun perview. Especially after she just blasted an entire Sabbat raiding party into ashes.
                              Last edited by Nyrufa; 01-30-2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X