Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there really only one way to make a Scion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there really only one way to make a Scion?

I haven't had a chance to out 2e yet so please tell me if they brought this up there. Scions are made the same way humans are- a sperm and an egg meet up, compare notes and get replicating. Most often this comes from a sexual fling between a god and a mortal that leaves the mortal holding a baby and a grudge. Some times the divine parent donates their end of the bargain, some times they pretend to be the mortal's significant other or sometimes the mortal worships the divine parent, but somewhere in the deal egg, sperm, BOOM! But the gods have a history of creating heroic characters in a multitude of ways. Why not make Scions in these ways?

Why couldn't a Scion character have started out as a normal human (or maybe an humanized animal) who impressed a god and was patronized. Why couldn't a god make a scion out of a storm or a solar flair. Maybe one of the major gods could curse a lesser god to mortality and they have to work their way back to godhood from hero status. And there's certainly no shortage of artifacts that can imbue divine powers to their wielders.

Have any of you tried any of these methods of character creation or one that I haven't mentioned in your games? What do you think about these suggestions.

We're getting more ways of making Scions in 2e - the core will have, in addition to born Scions, Scions who were created and Scions who were chosen as infants. Scions who are reincarnations of dead heroes / gods are slated for somewhere later in the line.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Cool. Can a Scion be made out of something like river water? And if so, does that make them their own birthright? As in, because they're made of water they have the ability to control it in their own flesh?

Comment

Been experimenting with shinto last 2 or 3 years.

Can someone become a Scion through Misogi?

sounds COOL to me.

it suggests in some books ive read that is the true purpose of Misogi shuho, to return to ones original divine Kami Nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Orcus View Post
          Cool. Can a Scion be made out of something like river water? And if so, does that make them their own birthright? As in, because they're made of water they have the ability to control it in their own flesh?
          The only real requirement we have for the Created material-wise is that they're made from inanimate materials I could see a river water Scion arising from the water, or being a transformed river, or being something like Momotaro, found in something floating in the water.

Created get a different starting Knack and Genesis Knack list - Knacks in 2e have been removed from Attributes and focused on divine archetypes and archetypal images. What that means is there may be a Knack reflecting the Scion's water-born origin, and if not you could create one.

Dunno whether you could be your own Birthright, but being born of a river is certainly a good argument for taking the Water Purview.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
            Been experimenting with shinto last 2 or 3 years.

Can someone become a Scion through Misogi?

sounds COOL to me.

it suggests in some books ive read that is the true purpose of Misogi shuho, to return to ones original divine Kami Nature.
            For the purposes of the game, mortal apotheosis requires a spark from the divine. That said, mortals do have other options - there's been mention of holy figures/saints.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

The only real requirement we have for the Created material-wise is that they're made from inanimate materials I could see a river water Scion arising from the water, or being a transformed river, or being something like Momotaro, found in something floating in the water.

Created get a different starting Knack and Genesis Knack list - Knacks in 2e have been removed from Attributes and focused on divine archetypes and archetypal images. What that means is there may be a Knack reflecting the Scion's water-born origin, and if not you could create one.

Dunno whether you could be your own Birthright, but being born of a river is certainly a good argument for taking the Water Purview.
              I really need to get the PDF. So a Scion couldn't be made for an animal or a plant. Too bad.

Comment

Plants aren't a problem - the example Created for the alpha slice was carved from a living ash tree.

2e's still in development, with the Origins and Hero PDFs expected later this year. Most of the info we have is from what the developer and writers have said.

Comment

Still sucks that an animal can't be made a Scion. Imagine how much fun that sort of character would be. Sure a Scion can become an animal, but it just isn't the same.

Comment

No official word on animals yet, though it has been pointed out that Loki's kids include the siblings Hel, Fenris and the Midgard Serpent, which would point to the possibility of animals being born or chosen Scions...

Comment

I really need to get the PDF. So a Scion couldn't be made for an animal or a plant. Too bad.

Hey... Wonder Woman was sculpted out of clay and struck by a lightning bolt.

Originally posted by marin View Post
                      No official word on animals yet, though it has been pointed out that Loki's kids include the siblings Hel, Fenris and the Midgard Serpent, which would point to the possibility of animals being born or chosen Scions...
                      I don't know about Hel, but at least Fenris and Jormagandur were sired with a giantess, not a mortal woman.

Still sucks that an animal can't be made a Scion. Imagine how much fun that sort of character would be. Sure a Scion can become an animal, but it just isn't the same.
                      That is disappointing, actually. Considering that there are religions throughout history that worshiped animals as such. Hell, just look at the Egyptian pantheon; more than half of them are some kind of animal-human hybrid! And in Shinto, there are hundreds (thousands?) of lesser Kami who resemble animals.
                      Last edited by Nyrufa; 01-28-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

When did I say animals couldn't be or be made into Scions? You could do that.

Neall Raemonn Price
                        Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post

Squee!

Now I'm trying to imagine how you'd go about playing an animal character.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                            I don't know about Hel, but at least Fenris and Jormagandur were sired with a giantess, not a mortal woman.
                            Hel was born to the same mother as Fenris and Jormagundr.

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post
                              In my house-setting, Bast was originally a cat Scion of Sekhmet who grew to assume one of her mother's spare Mantles.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                              X