This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Frejya be Frigg in 2nd ed?

So I noticed they conflated a lot of the Gods as being different mantles of the same being, so I am wondering if 2nd Ed is going to have Sekhmet be the same as Bast then it sounds like Frejya would work under this paradigm as the same Goddess as Frigg, as many researchers have argued was the case. That makes Odin the missing god Od, and that makes Frigg one of the Vanir, and things work much smoother explaining why Frejya gets to share half the Einherjar with Odin.

If this is the case though I would rather they change what they had in 1st Edition, where Frigg was actually secretly her hand maidens. I mean I would like at least some lesser √°synja/aesir.

It is a time for great deeds!

So I noticed they conflated a lot of the Gods as being different mantles of the same being, so I am wondering if 3rd Ed is going to have Sekhmet be the same as Bast then it sounds like Frejya would work under this paradigm as the same Goddess as Frigg, as many researchers have argued was the case. That makes Odin the missing god Od, and that makes Frigg one of the Vanir, and things work much smoother explaining why Frejya gets to share half the Einherjar with Odin.

If this is the case though I would rather they change what they had in 1st Edition, where Frigg was actually secretly her hand maidens. I mean I would like at least some lesser √°synja/aesir.

Comment

Damnit this was meant for the Scion Forum... wow...my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        Damnit this was meant for the Scion Forum... wow...my bad.
        Also, shouldn't it be 2E?

Comment

Originally posted by Ren9077 View Post

Also, shouldn't it be 2E?
          Yeah I corrected that when I remade the thread. :P Lot of confusion! I just turned 30!

Comment

Yeah I corrected that when I remade the thread. :P Lot of confusion! I just turned 30!
            I tried to turn 30 once, but could never get a handle on it *badoum psh*

Former bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
            Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

I sincerely hope not. The conflating of Bast and Sekhmet was met with pretty loud and definitive opposition, and I think we've made it clear to the devs that we want more deities in our Scion, not fewer. Besides that, the combination of Freya and Frigg is debated among scholars and in the myths, and the Aesir are short on Goddesses as it is, so keeping both of them works for flavour and "accuracy" (if you can use that term when we know so little of older faiths in the first place...).

Comment

See, the interesting thing about that is that Frigg and Freyja are conflated by all the non-Norse Germanic tribes, but the Norse were very consistent on them being separate deities.

So I'm strongly of the opinion that Frigg and Freyja should be kept separate because the pantheon featured in Scion is the Norse pantheon, which is the Germanic tribe that kept them separate.

Comment

I was very much not a fan of loosing Sekhmet, but I wasn't aware the fans formed a consensus since we haven't even gotten the book out yet and many of the fans haven't even been made aware of the change from preview.

Originally posted by Zeldafan42 View Post
                  See, the interesting thing about that is that Frigg and Freyja are conflated by all the non-Norse Germanic tribes, but the Norse were very consistent on them being separate deities.

So I'm strongly of the opinion that Frigg and Freyja should be kept separate because the pantheon featured in Scion is the Norse pantheon, which is the Germanic tribe that kept them separate.
                  ...not really we only have scraps of the Myths that existed, so saying they have been very consistently seperate individuals. Considering that most of Frejya's names are ambiguous feminine titles, and Frigg is also a mysterious figure only really talked about in her relations with Odin, like when they both adopted a different mortal child.

Comment

I was very much not a fan of loosing Sekhmet, but I wasn't aware the fans formed a consensus since we haven't even gotten the book out yet and many of the fans haven't even been made aware of the change from preview.
                    There was extensive fan feedback for the Nejter preview. Neall popped in to say "Yeah, we're going to do some revisions on this, get in some more experts to consult. Hey, maybe we'll use this as a preview later on to show all of you backers how the Revising step in making a Pantheon"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Cool. I have noted besides that, that they have revised a lot, like adding in Chaos because Trickster wasn't enough.

Comment

I read at least one poem from the Eddas that had Freya and Frigg as very definitely separate figures in the same room...

The Lokksenna for reference.

Comment

Working...
                        X