Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How different will the lore be in 2nd Edition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How different will the lore be in 2nd Edition?

I've always been interesting in running Scion, as I like the idea of it. I never got around to really reading 1st Edition, and then saw 2nd being Kickstarted and decided to back it.

I'm an impatient person though, and waiting for 2nd Edition is slowing driving me mad. I've thought about starting a 1st Edition game, since they said you'll be able to convert characters to 2nd Edition format. I'm okay with that. My question is, what about the actual setting?

I tried looking in the Ask Neall thread, but since I never fully dove into 1st, I can't tell if the actual setting will be fully compatible. Can anyone here shed any light on if it is, and if it's worth it to start a 1st Edition game?

The most recent preview that was shown in the Kickstarter may help a bit in explaining some setting changes, as well as this.
    http://theonyxpath.com/the-world-sci...n-development/

Comment

Also note that the 1e setting will be provided as an alternative (complete with optional rules) as part of stretch goal content.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but 1e setting was essentially just like the real world with many of the pantheons no longer being actively worshiped besides the Deva and the Kami. In 2e Abrahamic religion is still the most common in the world but a lot more people have superstitions and belief in older polytheistic faiths. Also, Titan have been replaced by the term Primordial, who aren't as evil this time around. Other than those changes I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirdboyz View Post
          Someone correct me if I'm wrong but 1e setting was essentially just like the real world with many of the pantheons no longer being actively worshiped besides the Deva and the Kami. In 2e Abrahamic religion is still the most common in the world but a lot more people have superstitions and belief in older polytheistic faiths. Also, Titan have been replaced by the term Primordial, who aren't as evil this time around. Other than those changes I don't know.
          The main difference is that in Scion 1e, the gods had just come back into our world and the game centered on their fight with the Titans, whereas 2e is more explicitly an alternate setting where the old religions never went away and the divine has taken an active role in things and some Pantheons get along with their Titans and Primordials, who are similar things but of varied scopes.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

The main difference is that in Scion 1e, the gods had just come back into our world and the game centered on their fight with the Titans, whereas 2e is more explicitly an alternate setting where the old religions never went away and the divine has taken an active role in things and some Pantheons get along with their Titans and Primordials, who are similar things but of varied scopes.

Which means you can, in theory, work alongside Titans without instantly being labeled a traitor. This presents more diverse opportunities for alliances and enemies in future chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Which means you can, in theory, work alongside Titans without instantly being labeled a traitor. This presents more diverse opportunities for alliances and enemies in future chronicles.
              ​Some pantheons work with their Titans all the time. Ogma is 100% fomorian, but he's been the champion of the Tuatha since forever. Aesir marry giants as a matter of course. It's been stated that the division between Titan and God is more of a political one, but the political position becomes a metaphysical truth because that's how these beings work. As far as I can tell, the main difference is that a God is linked to humanity, not requiring worship to survive but binding themselves in some way to the perceptions of mortals as they influence Fate, while a Titan has no absolute connection to humanity.

​So in short, if you find a Titan that's not a jerk, go right ahead. Maybe check with the specific pantheon politics first, though. Prometheus has been helpful in the past, Zeus still doesn't like the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by CreepyShutIn View Post

​Some pantheons work with their Titans all the time. Ogma is 100% fomorian, but he's been the champion of the Tuatha since forever. Aesir marry giants as a matter of course. It's been stated that the division between Titan and God is more of a political one, but the political position becomes a metaphysical truth because that's how these beings work. As far as I can tell, the main difference is that a God is linked to humanity, not requiring worship to survive but binding themselves in some way to the perceptions of mortals as they influence Fate, while a Titan has no absolute connection to humanity.

​So in short, if you find a Titan that's not a jerk, go right ahead. Maybe check with the specific pantheon politics first, though. Prometheus has been helpful in the past, Zeus still doesn't like the guy.
                I'm really hoping the Netjer are presented as better with their Titans ans Primordials than the first draft suggested, because mythologically they get along swimmingly.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Working...
                X