March Preview Material

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Preview Material

I haven't read all of it yet, though I dd read up to the new paths.

The fatebound roles look interesting, But I think I shall have to wait for the mechanical interactions to judge.

The Paths are quite interesting for Prophets and Cassandra and I hope that similar paths are put into the corebook.

What to you guys think of the material?

How can I know if what I claim I know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I might not know? How can I know if what I claim I don't know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I do know?
    -Zhuangzi

I was quite impressed.

​Like you, I can't fully judge the Fatebound Roles until I have a better understanding of the overall system, but the content was interesting, nonetheless.

​Prophets and Cassandras are very interesting, and I'm very eager to learn more about other Paths, like Saints, Sorcerers, and the like. I especially love that they added the rule that Scions and other mythic creatures aren't susceptible to the Cassandra's curse of disbelief. If literally EVERYONE refuses to believe them, then Cassandras are really only usable as objects of pity in a tragic story. Making Cassandras into viable Companions for Scions is a great way to build some interesting stories and character interactions.

​Loved the Wyrd preview. The Aesir are my jam and I'm thrilled to see they're getting a Purview that actually feels like Norse magic.

​The three Purviews? Loved 'em all! It's so great to see how much more powerful and useful the Fertility Purview is this time around. Fortune and Prosperity are also quite interesting. I just love the how these powers FEEL more mythic. The idea that Favor of Nature can affect a potentially huge or small area is cool, rather than just ascribing some arbitrary range limit to the power makes it very useful in a variety of ways. And I love that Fertility has the power to be potentially lethal even at these beginner levels of power.

I can't wait to see what Demigod and God-tier powers can do if this is what "mere" Heroes can do!

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Nine Lives, Favor of Nature, Blessed Wealth and Divine Providence are the Boons I really needed from those Purviews, so I'm sure satisfied.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
      [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
      [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

I loved it. The fatebound roles show some interesting implications, I like the idea that the role they are playing out is akin to an actual subplot, with benefits and an eventual payoff that either concludes it or morphs it into something else, as shown by how an apprentice can die or become a rival and the paramour can morph into something else or cause they're own continuing issues.

Oracle and Cassandra seem interesting, and I like that they ave their own knacks and birthright options.

The purviews are great, Wyrd is much more interesting than jotunblut, and mechanically seems a lot more solid. The general purviews got me excited. They seem a lot more general and the boons seem a lot more worthwhile versatile, and open ended. I can see characters with the exact same boons using them in massively different ways. This is much better than 1st where a fertility based character couldn't even think about doing abundant growth until halfway through demi god and with a much higher legend cost. Fortune seems like it is a combination and improvement over the "special" purviews and I like what I'm seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post
          I loved it. The fatebound roles show some interesting implications, I like the idea that the role they are playing out is akin to an actual subplot, with benefits and an eventual payoff that either concludes it or morphs it into something else, as shown by how an apprentice can die or become a rival and the paramour can morph into something else or cause they're own continuing issues.
          The Storypath System seems to be going deeper on the "tell stories" aspect than the Storyteller and even Storytelling Systems did. I like the idea.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

I like everything we saw in this preview! Fertility is scary, Prosperity is fun.

The changes listed in the update sound interesting too. We haven't really gotten a picture of what damage conditions and stuff like that actually came out like from the kickstarter preview, so if we could get some context for those changes, that would be so cool.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
              Fertility is scary,
              When Neall did his open Q&A, I asked him about the Fertility Purview. He noted that a Fertility God can, at the lowest level, smash your house with vines, blight your crops, and curse you and your family with infertility.

Neall - I consider the promise kept.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I really liked all of this (once I got the link to work, grr), but can't help but wish we'd seen two Paths that weren't so similar. The idea behind them (as a sort of midpoint between an Aspect in FATE and something closer to a class in a meatier system) is super novel, and I'm jonesing to really see the mechanic get some real room to flex across the Storypath games.

This only makes the wait harder! I'm super eager to see more Pantheon writeups and to have this beautiful game in my hands already; I'm honestly more excited for Origins as an urban fantasy game with a unique angle and fresh ruleset than I am for Hero at this point.
                Last edited by atamajakki; 03-03-2017, 02:52 AM.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I'm just curious why specifically $10000 is created for the prosperity purview? Is that the limit of one Legend? Sure it's a nice sum, but why not $1million which is Bruce Wayne type money?

Perhaps it scales with advancement.

Comment

It might be scale, it might be that the devs figured that for most immediate scene expenses, 10k will manage. It probably, say, won't help if you're entering an auction to legitimately pay for an ancient vase (that secretly has a very angry Rakshasa sealed inside of it)... Buuuuut 10k will probably buy you the clothes to LOOK like you have millions of dollars, and tip a couple grand to the doorman so that you look like you have money to burn.

Meanwhile your friends are sneaking in while you're the eyes in front of the auction.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Well there's no once per scene/session/day note in there so I would assume you can use it as many times in rapid succession as you have legend to burn. But if you combine that with the next boon then making sure thing investments would be trivial for prosperity inclined characters.

Question about spin the thread. You predict a specific triumph or downfall, how much of that is in your hands? I can see arguments for saying that you're just making a prediction and the gm decides everything, you get to declare triumph or downfall but not the specifics, or you get to decide all of the above. On the one hand, the last option robs a lot of the careful what you wish for element about seeing the future type abilities, on the other hand I'm sure we've all met at least one gm that would have the wrong kind of fun if they got to make the calls. I would not be surprised if someone's gm decided "I want to lay a curse on our enemy" results in his fantasy football team doing terrible that year.

Comment

I keep getting File error in the link from my email.

Comment

remove the %20%20 from the link. That should do it.

Fool's Corner Productions: Where we review Video Game, and eventually tabletop RPGs

Comment

Working...
                          X