The "wake up " moment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "wake up " moment

the wake up moment is that scene when the character unleash his true power.

what's yours "wake up moment"? yours or of your players? the most epic one or foolish?

my first character woke up surrounded by 3 grizzlies..

Hm... interesting question. I think I have two solid ones. Most of my characters are Social / Mental, so I don't tend to have a ton of overtly flashy moves.

Colin Shaw: Hoori (Hohodemi / Hohodemi no mikoto) was traveling to the Yellowstone super volcano as part of a Kami delegation to treat with the Kami of the volcano and calm it down. Train gets hijacked, we get called in as we are working for a Supernatural Policing Organization, think The Checquy from The Rook Files. It was hurtling towards Yellowstone, filled to the brim with enough explosives to awaken the volcano. We dive down and grab a spot on the very end of the train and start clearing cars up to the front. Finding Hoori, convincing some Oni to join our organization rather than fight them since we have a better pension plan, that sort of thing.

Tricky thing is, we're hardcore running out of time. We have been clearing bombs on the way up, but there is apparently a stash at the front car, being watched over by Konohana Sakuyahime. (Hoori's Dragon Princess wife who he disgraced by peeking on her while giving birth. Normal, 'Promise not to look upon me' story.) She had been convinced by some unknown entity (our money was on Tezcat as a Usual Suspect) that blowing up a good hunk of this continent, possibly killing or at least disgracing Hoori, and whatnot was all a good plan. So, we need to pencil in time to convince a... probably Lesser Goddess to change her mind which would be tricky. We have one more train car between ourselves and the front car. It is, unfortunately, filled with... what was it. Several Teke Teke, and a bunch of Kuchisake-onna. We were not a great combat Band to start with, so this is a problem. There is a lot of stuff, which would take time to deal with, time we don't have. Colin, who is half the Band's combat effectiveness, is also on full Agg except his Incap box which was Lethal (he was staying conscious with a Knack) which is problem since that meant he would be good and proper capital D Dead if he took a single point of Bashing.

So, what Colin does is he opens the door to the car, walks in, and starts bullshit boasting (Scion of The Dagda) and cranks his Appearance up as high as he can push it. He can't actually speak Japanese, so he is burning Mystery Successes to speak. He is maxed out on Dex and Wits, so he is into the train car and moving before anyone has a chance to grab him, and starts talking. He rolls stupid, stupid high on an Appearance + Presence roll, throwing down experience to max out some values, burning every possible resource, and simply sits down on one of the benches, and motions to the monstrous women. Mystery lets him guess how to say, "Last one standing gets a kiss." and the room erupts into violence and gore as all of the monsters slaughter each other to get that kiss while Colin sits there unflinching. He was, I think, Legend 4-ish at this point and dropped... I want to say 25 or more Successes, it was a lot of luck. The Band makes a break for it, and shuts down the whole situation the next room over, and saves the day with moments to spare. (And not just in the narrative 'stopped it at the last second' bit, Iry was about to blow our shit up before we succeeded, and got rid of the explosives through imaginative Knack use)

Rory Blake: Things had gotten Out of Hand as all good Scion games do. We are Legend 3, just escaped getting our asses beat, and someone calling themselves Heimdall shows up (we still don't know if it was Heimdall or someone else) demanding we do what we are told. We are in "Trust No One," mode, and we refuse. Our combat character ends up throwing down with a Legend 4 Heimdall, fighting over a large bonfire. He has all his goodies, his Relics, and is utterly broken. This was not a fight to win.

However, Rory is standing there with a full Legend pool, and we were still using the weird RAW Magic Purview. I had been fluffing things up with Rory carving his spells into his bones in Oghamic since he was a little fucked up internally for various reasons. His best friend is the combat character about to throw down with a proper God. So, Rory starts cutting himself up, using those Sacrifice rules no one ever uses in RAW Magic Purview, and passing he combat character all of his Legend, + Legend from bringing himself down to Incap IIRC. The combat character is able to fuel... I think two extra Aggravated Attacks with the Legendary Surge (Magic 2) spell pumping up her Legend pool with all of Rory's, and all of his health. With some brutally statistically unlikely rolls, Quinn, the combat PC, manages to kick the shit out of the Legend 4, fully decked out in Relics, Heimdall, and dissipate his Avatar while at Legend 3. Rory just picked himself up from the tree he had been leaning against while he carved his own bones, and got carried on wards. No one knew what the fuck he had been doing, but he was pleased with himself.

Comment

"Last one standing gets a kiss.
      This is a great idea. this reminds me an old vampire scene i played.

A big crowd of simply human beings, in the middle: A bruja about to burst, a stupid arpy and me, a good Ventrue.

when the fight was about to explode in the face of the humans (so long masquerade!!) i made an incredible charm dice succes and... " i began to clap". And fuck yeah, all the humans started to claps too avoiding the terrible disaster.

The Rory blake story is cool, i always avoided the "sacrifice rules"

Comment

Lukas, Scion of Dionysus, was the mage of the group. Formerly an young classical artist in training, adventures and prophecies forced him to embrace this heritage he considered shameful (he always wished he could have been Scion of a more respectable greek god. So basically... anyone else in the main 12. Except for Ares.), becoming the band's translator, mystic, healer and general crafter of the group. He had absolutely NOTHING related to combat and sucked at physical labor.

So we were in Greece, exploring a volcano frozen in ice thanks to the Frost Jotunn King who had claimed this place, one of the many forges of Hephaestus, as his throne room. It was causing earthquakes all over the countries, and multiple prophecies warned us that well, we HAD to stop their leader. We tried going in stealthily, but Lukas completely failed, so screw this, he decided to improvise. He just waltzed in proudly in the throne room (thankfully there was only one big giant there, even if we were outmatched) and started speaking in old norse, which nobody in the group understood, not even the Aesir Scion, who seemed to have more giant blood in his veins than normal. This interested the Jotunn Chief, and Lukas presented himself as a Titan's Scion, who had brought the Aesir here so he could learn willingly about his real roots (and the rest of the Band? Mere slaves. They were sooo pissed). By a combination of knacks, repeated flattery and scandalously good rolls, the Giant actually bought it, and started to test the Aesir (who was NOT a combat character as well, more like Survival and stealth-focused) through a contest of strength, which bought them some time.

Pretending to wanting to craft for the King a mighty crown, Lukas headed with the rest of the band up to the forge who were on the upper level of the throne room. It was frozen, but through multiple desperate strength rolls, he managed to restart the forge and just melted every metal scrap he could find into one god-sized cauldron, while still yelling praise and honeyed words to the Jotunn, while the contest of strength actually shook the foundations of the volcano itself (sending big ice scraps directly on them). Eventually, when the trap was put in place, Lukas used the machinery to pour down the entire cauldron on the Giant, taking away nearly 3/4th of his health! Sure, he was pissed, and it was a scramble to kill it, and Lukas got knocked out in the struggle, and he didn't even get to meet Hephaestus who appeared to save them from the returning lava, but he was hella proud.
        Last edited by Evilmarmelade; 04-08-2017, 04:09 PM.

"And for my next trick" I said, "anvils!"

Comment

Originally posted by Evilmarmelade View Post
          Lukas, Scion of Dionysus, was the mage of the group. Formerly an young classical artist in training, adventures and prophecies forced him to embrace this heritage he considered shameful (he always wished he could have been Scion of a more respectable greek god. So basically... anyone else in the main 12. Except for Ares.), becoming the band's translator, mystic, healer and general crafter of the group. He had absolutely NOTHING related to combat and sucked at physical labor.

So we were in Greece, exploring a volcano frozen in ice thanks to the Frost Jotunn King who had claimed this place, one of the many forges of Hephaestus, as his throne room. It was causing earthquakes all over the countries, and multiple prophecies warned us that well, we HAD to stop their leader. We tried going in stealthily, but Lukas completely failed, so screw this, he decided to improvise. He just waltzed in proudly in the throne room (thankfully there was only one big giant there, even if we were outmatched) and started speaking in old norse, which nobody in the group understood, not even the Aesir Scion, who seemed to have more giant blood in his veins than normal. This interested the Jotunn Chief, and Lukas presented himself as a Titan's Scion, who had brought the Aesir here so he could learn willingly about his real roots (and the rest of the Band? Mere slaves. They were sooo pissed). By a combination of knacks, repeated flattery and scandalously good rolls, the Giant actually brought it, and started to test the Aesir (who was NOT a combat character as well, more like Survival and stealth-focused) through a contest of strength, which bought them some time.

Pretending to wanting to craft for the King a mighty crown, Lukas headed with the rest of the band up to the forge who were on the upper level of the throne room. It was frozen, but through multiple desperate strength rolls, he managed to restart the forge and just melted every metal scrap he could find into one god-sized cauldron, while still yelling praise and honeyed words to the Jotunn, while the contest of strength actually shook the foundations of the volcano itself (sending big ice scraps directly on them). Eventually, when the trap was put in place, Lukas used the machinery to pour down the entire cauldron on the Giant, taking away nearly 3/4th of his health! Sure, he was pissed, and it was a scramble to kill it, and Lukas got knocked out in the struggle, and he didn't even get to meet Hephaestus who appeared to save them from the returning lava, but he was hella proud.

This is such a great play! my idea is: Improvisation above all.

Comment

I'm gonna tell mine now.

a shitty place in japan. 3 of us: elan connor (son of sedna - American indian) Franco Castiglione (son of ares) and Martin McFly (son of harvuatat - goddes of time yazata).

We're looking for the last children of the japanese gods (all died, sad story). The kid is in an old cabin, elan connor enter the cabin, catch the kiddo but back of his shoulders an enemy son of a titan spawn. This guys is WAY to powerfull then all of us, the situation of the outside is not so good. Evil folks around us, too many folks.

Using a telephatic contact we make the suicidal and stranger plan.

an aeroplane with a comrade on it was coming to us in full speed (an ww2 aeroplane) with the ladder hanged on it. The sequence and plane is this:

with the power of improvisation i talk with the bad guy taking time
            Martin mcfly coordinate us with is time magic
            franco and martin take the ladder and crush in the cabin
            Synchronized with em, i open the door of the closet e throw the kid in the air, franco and martin take the kid
            i smile to the bad guy
            he attack me
            franco throw me a chain

we all are safe.

I summerized badly but... we were not prepared to handle that situation and we're stupidly lucky.

Comment

my son of Hades, while battling both Fenrir and ice giants in Nifflehime, instead of raising his normal 5 skeletal followers, brought up one singe giant skeleton

Comment

Working...
              X