Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which gods and goddesses do you want added to existing pantheons?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

It would shock me not at all if it turned out that Buddhist missionaries and various traders brought a bunch of those stories into China, which then spread them throughout the rest of Eastern Asia.
    That's the point where it doesn't make sense to me. Because I have never heard of Buddhist missionaries transporting the Epics, which have nothing to do with Buddhism in the slightest, and know of no overt references to those works in China (though I'm of course not a sinologist). Furthermore, the spread of Buddhism to China happens between the 4th and 8th centuries (a time when the Epics were just beginning to be written down), while the "Journey" was written in the 16th; it is about one of the missions to India to retrieve Buddhist scriptures. I've read studies on the formation of Sun Wukong, but they can't really find any mentions of Hanuman as such in the 900 years between the arrival of Buddhism in China and the authoring of the "Journey"; some Chinese monkey demons, though, some of them with Buddhist elements. Ultimately, the contact between India and China was a lot more limited than we tend to imagine, thanks to the Himalayas and several countries being in between (remember that e.g. Tibet was a sovereign empire back then). So, as I said, I can't really tell, because I'm not that much of an expert, but according to all I do know, direct influence seems dubious. The "Journey of the West" isn't generally known as a work that freshly adaptates Indian materials, it's known for introducing Chinese folk traditions (e.g. about blasphemous animal demons) to the higher echelons of literature.

Comment

This is one of those things that always made mythology so fascinating to me. When one has two monkey god-heroes in neighboring regions, just what are their connections, if any? Is their some long forgotten proto-monkey god? Is one derived from the other? Or are monkeys just so naturally interesting that it's inevitable that any people living near them will have a monkey god-hero?* One can't help but wonder, for example, if the Japanese Momotaro having a monkey as one of his allies is coincidence or some sort of influence from Journey to the West**?

Along similar lines, two really weird theories I've heard about Norse mythology: One, that Freyja is just Freyr cross dressing as part of some sort of shamanic seidr ritual activity; Two, that Baldr is actually derived from stories of Jesus as they made their way up through Germany and into Scandinavia during the first millennium. Not that I'm actually sold on either of them. I just find them interesting thought-fodder.

*Given the huge number of primate characters in comic books, I'm inclined toward the idea that monkeys just make for fun stories.
      **Also, if you've never seen Stephen Chow's version of Journey to the West, it's wonderfully awesome and great Scion inspiration.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

It's unfortunate we don't have more information on the religions of pre-Christian Europe. I know that such mergings and accumulations can be seen in religions where more historical/archaeological evidence exists.

Comment

The faery queens of Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by ElanConnor View Post
            The minors greeks gods (nike, hypno, morpheo etcetc)

Don't forget Trivia, Roman goddess of witchcraft and sorcery.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Don't forget Trivia, Roman goddess of witchcraft and sorcery.
              ​Pretty sure Hecate's got that one locked down, seeing as how she's much more well-known.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
              Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post

​Pretty sure Hecate's got that one locked down, seeing as how she's much more well-known.
                Mantles, people! They exist for a reason!

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Trivia was strongly identified with Hecate.

Comment

Going by people I think are major gods, I have some additions planned out. Ignoring the pantheons that we haven't seen yet, my additions would be...

For the Theoi
                    Definitely Pan.
                    Maybe Hecate (but she's technically a Titan), Janus (hard to come up with associations) and Quirinus (has no post-apotheosis myths).

For the Tuatha
                    Definitely Goibniu
                    Maybe Flidais. She's cool and has a few myths, but I'm not sure

For the Teotl
                    Definitely Tlazolteotl.

For the Netjer
                    Definitely Nephthys (if she isn't added in the final version of course)
                    Maybe Bes and Neith. Bes is super popular but has no myths, and Neith is definitely a major goddess, but her ancient nature has me considering her a possible Titan.

For the Shen
                    Definitely Houyi and definitely making Xiwangmu a goddess
                    Maybe Yu Huang. Even though he has the makings for a primordial, many stories do have the Jade Emperor as a former mortal and clearly differentiate him from Yuanshi Tianzun and Shangdi, so it really depends on which myths I go with.

For the Orisha
                    Maybe Erinle and Olokun, need to do more research on them though.
                    Last edited by ~NKF~; 07-15-2017, 04:38 PM. Reason: Just a quick edit to add my potential additions to the Orisha.

Comment

Originally posted by ~NKF~ View Post
                      Going by people I think are major gods, I have some additions planned out. Ignoring the pantheons that we haven't seen yet, my additions would be...

For the Theoi
                      Definitely Pan.

I too would support the idea of them incorporating Pan, but this time NOT make him literally Satan.

Seriously, I get agitated enough when people keep depicting Hades as the villain and focus exclusively on Tartarus when depicting the Underworld.

Comment

Yeah, of the previewed pantheons only the Tuatha de Danann don't have someone that I believe really warrents inclusion as a major divinity (and that's only because I assume Goibniu is still hanging around the Nemetondevos like in 1e).

Comment

I can see keeping Goibniu (as Gobannos) in the Nemetondevos, but in truth, he plays a massive role in Irish Myths so I'd rather keep him in the pantheon where he actually has stories, rather than one where he's mostly just a name on a few inscriptions and a couple statues. Of course, he could be in both with mantles being a thing

And yeah, Pan being the devil makes no sense to me. There are countless gods Christians compared to the devil (Ba'al, Chernobog, Loki, Hades, Cernunnos, Eshu, Ordog etc.) so there's really no reason to make Pan the devil in my opinion.

Comment

I'll join NKF in supporting Bes. That guy was insanely popular. It's said that he was the original inspiration for the whole gargoyle concept that countless other cultures adopted. "Put up a scary statue and it will scare away evil?" Yeah. That was pretty much Bes. His worship was EVERYWHERE in the Ancient World.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                            Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

I'll join NKF in supporting Bes. That guy was insanely popular. It's said that he was the original inspiration for the whole gargoyle concept that countless other cultures adopted. "Put up a scary statue and it will scare away evil?" Yeah. That was pretty much Bes. His worship was EVERYWHERE in the Ancient World.
                              I always thought the "scary face that scares off evil" concept came first, then people started assigning names to it. Rather than a specific god's worship spreading across the entire globe.

Speaking of which, we are going to see gods without Pantheons, right? Read that somewhere quite some time ago, so not sure if that's still the case.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by ~NKF~ View Post
                                I can see keeping Goibniu (as Gobannos) in the Nemetondevos, but in truth, he plays a massive role in Irish Myths so I'd rather keep him in the pantheon where he actually has stories, rather than one where he's mostly just a name on a few inscriptions and a couple statues. Of course, he could be in both with mantles being a thing

And yeah, Pan being the devil makes no sense to me. There are countless gods Christians compared to the devil (Ba'al, Chernobog, Loki, Hades, Cernunnos, Eshu, Ordog etc.) so there's really no reason to make Pan the devil in my opinion.

Especially since Pan was a god of love. If they wanted a Satanic figure, they should have gone with Loki, who's entire shtick is that he screws with people for his own amusement and eventually brings about the apocalypse.

Although I hear that 2e will try to move away from depicting characters as other religious icons. It was pretty obvious that Aten was supposed to be the Judeo Christian god in 1e, which meant anybody belonging to the Abrahamic faiths were unwittingly part of a global Titan cult.

Comment

Working...
                                X