No announcement yet.

The Tone of Scion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Wonder Woman's abilities come from her magic armor and weapons, rather than her being born with them. For evidence, I present the fact that the Amazons held a competition for who would get to receive said armor and weapons and take on the mantle of Wonder Woman. Diana entered the competition under disguise (her mother forbade her) and won the tournament, thus being allowed to wear them and access the powers they granted her.

In short, any of the Amazons could have become Wonder Woman. It's an electoral position that's earned through skill, not something you're born into.

Comment

Used to be that she was made of clay, brought to life by the Olympian Gods through the prayers of Queen Hippolyta, and trained to be Themyscira's greatest warrior, who then went forth to kick Nazi ass. "New 52" changed her origins quite a bit, making her the secret daughter of Zeus. I'm not sure if "Rebirth" has changed things in her backstory even further, but, yeah. Daughter of Zeus, and currently ascended God of War.

It seems like DC is -much- more comfortable with the basic concept of "Gods" than Marvel is, in general.

I draw things! Wanna check it out? Click on the link below!
      http://kiwi665.deviantart.com/

YES! I do commissions!

Comment

Originally posted by JTroy View Post
        Used to be that she was made of clay, brought to life by the Olympian Gods through the prayers of Queen Hippolyta, and trained to be Themyscira's greatest warrior, who then went forth to kick Nazi ass. "New 52" changed her origins quite a bit, making her the secret daughter of Zeus. I'm not sure if "Rebirth" has changed things in her backstory even further, but, yeah. Daughter of Zeus, and currently ascended God of War.

It seems like DC is -much- more comfortable with the basic concept of "Gods" than Marvel is, in general.
        ​Rebirth appears to be bringing back the clay origin, though it hasn't been fully confirmed.

​And no, Diana's powers have never been tied to her relics. In the Golden Age, her power came from "Amazon Training" which was a form of discipline that allowed her to channel psychic energy through her body, allowing her to perform superhuman feats. In the Silver Age, Bronze Age, and post-Crisis Age, her powers were blessings bestowed upon her by the gods. In the New 52, she became the daughter of Zeus, and her power came from that. Now, with Rebirth, we're not sure, but nothing has been said about her powers coming from objects.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
        Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Read "The Incredible Hercules" series from a few years ago that came out of the World War Hulk event. It reminded me of why I'd always liked the character and delved a bit into the mythology and his relations with the other Greek gods. Also, Hercules leading a strike team of gods against the alien gods of the Skrull during the Secret Invasion event.

Comment

Originally posted by ElanConnor View Post
            My idea is:

Scion can really be everything

I played it in very different style.

- In MidleAge ( epic fantasy style, the real hero of the legends or vykings)
            - 1930 in america ( with a very deep noir tone, blackjack, alcohol and sigaretts, bossess issues etcetc)
            - Our days with all the light and dark of our community

But what i prefer is... THE PULP ONE. Fuck i love pulp scion. Is like tarantino making a superhero movie, i just love it.
            Likewise, Scion can have any darn tone I want. Hey, I modeled my Scion campaign on Buffy the Vampire Slayer with equal parts Supernatural Action/Adventure and Teen Soap, with some Horror and Comedy (and Horror Comedy, it's a thing) mixed in. And of course, all filtered through mythology. I only regret I couldn't do an "episode" as a musical.

I am less interested in what tone a game "should" have than in what I can do to give a game the tone I want.
            Dean Shomshak

Comment

I can do almost anything with Scion. It's one of those systems where I can take almost any genre, any trope, and I could tell an interesting story about it using mythology and the mechanics of Scion (with the Scion 2.0 houserules).

I constantly find myself thinking "That's a good example of Epic Manipulation", or "That's a great use of a Knack", or "That would make a fascinating titanspawn!" whenever I am watching other media.

Comment

Originally posted by DShomshak View Post
                I only regret I couldn't do an "episode" as a musical.
                GM: Alright, now, your character's singing!
                Me: Oh trust me that is the last thing you want me to do. Like, I'm not allowed to sing anymore, court order.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

The whole "amazonian training" thing kind of bugs me. If her powers came from training, then it would stand to reason the entire island is full of super powered women. Yet I've never seen the Amazons being portrayed as anything other than immortal warriors of the classical Greek era. They don't seem to have any of Wonder Woman's powers in common except for possibly 1 Amazon who went rogue in the JLA cartoon. Also, during the Justice League cartoon, when Wonder Woman receives her armor, her mother says that they are relics blessed by the gods, which indicates the powers would have been stored within them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

The whole "amazonian training" thing kind of bugs me. If her powers came from training, then it would stand to reason the entire island is full of super powered women. Yet I've never seen the Amazons being portrayed as anything other than immortal warriors of the classical Greek era. They don't seem to have any of Wonder Woman's powers in common except for possibly 1 Amazon who went rogue in the JLA cartoon. Also, during the Justice League cartoon, when Wonder Woman receives her armor, her mother says that they are relics blessed by the gods, which indicates the powers would have been stored within them.
                    ​Her creator's original idea was to say that ANY woman can be a Wonder Woman. In the Golden Age, all Amazons could do what Diana could do. Diana was just the best of them, which is why she won the contest to return Steve Trevor to Man's World and become Wonder Woman.

​And even after the Golden Age, the Amazons still do have super powers. They are just shown inconsistently because DC doesn't care about Wonder Woman or her world. Certainly not to the extent that they care about Batman and his world, at any rate. So the Amazons are often used for cannon fodder in stories and their powers are ignored or downplayed. You still see Amazons displaying super strength and other similar feats in stories that are showing any respect at all to Diana or her world.

​And Diana has her powers with or without her relics, so they do not give her powers. We've seen her fight completely out of costume in the past. No difference.

​If your only real exposure to Wonder Woman was the Justice League cartoon, then I'm sorry but you've never really experienced Wonder Woman. A lot of the more hardcore Wonder Woman fans hated her portrayal in that show. It has its fans, but it's FAR from the best portrayal of Wonder Woman by a country mile.
                    Last edited by unnatural1; 04-07-2017, 08:34 AM.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Like Iry, I find Scion one of the more flexible games from WW/OP. The two Scion campaigns I'd now like to run or play in... aren't Scion, they'd just use the game toward other ends. First, I'd like to use a revised Scion for a Dresden Files campaign. My gaming group tried DF:tRPG and found the system unplayable. (I understand this is *not* the fault of the underlying FATE system, which otherwise looks quite interesting.) But in looking for other game systems that could emulate the Dresdenverse and the aspects (ba-dum-bump) of DF:tRPG that we liked, Scion emerged at the top of my list.

The other campaign I thought of, with the working title of Unreal City, is set in a world where the Gods withdrew long ago, but many of the lesser supernatural creatures were left behind. It's a bit WoD-ish, in that the setting includes vampires (more than one kind), shapeshifters, faeries and mortal mages, but I don't want to try kludging together up to half a dozen game systems. Scion seems like the game best suited to cover all the creatures of "lower mythology" at once.

Dean Shomshak

Comment

Originally posted by Iry View Post
                        I constantly find myself thinking "That's a good example of Epic Manipulation", or "That's a great use of a Knack", or "That would make a fascinating titanspawn!" whenever I am watching other media.
                        It has occurred to me that probably more than half the anime I've watched could in some way adapted to Scion.

Also that it would be ridiculously easy to do some sort of Harry Potter/Percy Jackson/X-Men/Class of the Titans type "Boarding School for Divinely-Touched Youth".

Hmm. New Wave Scion, in which the Heroes who dwell in the modern 80s legends and epics of Wall Street, Scarface, Less Than Zero, Repo Man, Top Gun, Light of Day, The Legend of Billie Jean, and The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai.

Comment

Like most what others said, Scion is a very wide -literally and figurately speaking- rpg game.

There are always the same questions asked by the players "would thay knack or boon will be useful?" for which there is no direct answer. Or rathee, there is right answer because it only depends on how players and Gm view Scion.

The one thing important is not too be close minded because if your players would love something with more epic battles and less enigmas, you should listen . The system is very helpful in this way. There are multiple ways to play Scion, even in the same story with the same players.

As epic as mythology is good but I think innovating and adding created material helps making this more interesting. A surprised player is always intrigued to look for more.

As humouristic as marvel's movies is very helpful too. Delighted games make players comfortable. A tone too grave might ruin the mood of the game, players' or even yours if you play with rookies.

As nasty as Game of thrones. Now, this, you have to be well prepared with lots of npcs. Maybe a less convincing tone because everything has to match. I won't go this way because I am not clever enough for that.

Even a post apocalyptic game is ok. Because Titans came back and your players and a few Gods are still alive, give you opportunity to recreate the world as messing, as fantastic, as dark as you wish.

There is no impossibilities in Scion. Every theme, every tone works. Delighted contemporay epic fantasy games remain my favorites with some dark moments to create greatness.

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                          X