Mythological Questions Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mythological Questions Thread

I figured we'd need one of these eventually, especially once 2e actually comes out. So this would be a thread for discussing mythology, primarly so one can gather inspiration for their Scion games or ask for help understanding something.

I guess I'll start with a question; assuming someone was playing 1e, or wanted to continue the '1 Titanrealm vs 1 Patheon' model from 1e, what would be a good Pantheon to oppose the Light/Sun Titanrealm? There's the the Netjer/Egyptians from RAW, but that was kind of stupid, or maybe the Alilah/Arabian pantheon, but that's all I've got.

Originally posted by Crying View Post
    I figured we'd need one of these eventually, especially once 2e actually comes out. So this would be a thread for discussing mythology, primarly so one can gather inspiration for their Scion games or ask for help understanding something.

I guess I'll start with a question; assuming someone was playing 1e, or wanted to continue the '1 Titanrealm vs 1 Patheon' model from 1e, what would be a good Pantheon to oppose the Light/Sun Titanrealm? There's the the Netjer/Egyptians from RAW, but that was kind of stupid, or maybe the Alilah/Arabian pantheon, but that's all I've got.
    The Netjer's only real "enemy" was chaos/disorder: they're an incredibly traditional Pantheon, with thousands of years of ritual dedicated to keeping everything in its proper place and keeping the whole of reality from falling apart. If they ever fail to protect the sun from Apep, then it will devour the sun and bring ruin to the World. Apep is your Titan of Chaos, with everyone - even the troublemaker Sutekh, hungry for the throne and patron of foreigners - still throwing their lots in to try and maintain the correct course.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I'm not the expert, but I believe one of the Australian aboriginal tribes had a sun goddess named Bila who is a cannibal and who creates the light of the sun by roasting people. I'm not sure what the general cultural consensus is on the sun for that tribe but that is pretty much the only Sun God I've ever heard of that is this antithetical to humanity. Sun gods, even in desert areas, more often thannot are at best stem rulers, not very good for Titan antagonist material.

Of course, if you're including things like Drought as an extension of Sun and not it's own Realm, then that kinda works as an antagonist for the Vedic Era Hindu pantheon, and even they loved the sun in general (and I've heard theories that Vritra, the Dragon of Drought is actually an embodiment of the clouds that Indra opens with his thunderbolt so it may not be a good fit even for them) but not in the lesst for the modern day Hindu pantheon. And even then you'd need a lot of work to make the mess that is Vritra in RAW work.
      Last edited by Samudra; 03-30-2017, 02:37 AM.

Comment

On a similar note to the OP, I've been having issues trying to pin down a Moon/Stars opposing pantheon. The Aztec gods have appropriate figures for both, but whichever I want to pair them with, I've never really found a good fit for the other. Are there any other mythologies that might be appropriate for this?

Comment

IF they're keeping the whole mono-avatar shtick that 1E had, then I could probably see the Theoi being good antagonists for the Titan of light. Gaia didn't really make any sense as an enemy because Gaia SAVED Zeus from the Titans and raised him in secret until he was ready to rebel against them. Plus in mythology, the Gods didn't live in an parallel dimension, they lived at the top of an actual mountain. Olympus exists within the World and is composed of earthly elements. It's a part of Terra. Simply put, the Theoi's Overworld is located inside a Titan!

The ancient Greeks, as I understand it, placed great value upon the accomplishments of the individual. Only the best and the brightest got to go to paradise. Losers and underachievers were cast into limbo (pretty much). So for there to be a Titan that comes in and starts demanding everybody venerate them (and only them), I imagine that the Gods of Olympus would be understandably upset!
          Last edited by Nyrufa; 04-02-2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
            IF they're keeping the whole mono-avatar shtick that 1E had, then I could probably see the Theoi being good antagonists for the Titan of light. Gaia didn't really make any sense as an enemy because Gaia SAVED Zeus from the Titans and raised him in secret until he was ready to rebel against them.
            Gaia didn't appreciate Zeus stuffing the Titans into Tartarus. As a result, she birthed the Gigantes, which launched the Gigantomachy in an attempt to unseat the Olympians that failed because of Heracles' assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Center-of-All View Post
              On a similar note to the OP, I've been having issues trying to pin down a Moon/Stars opposing pantheon. The Aztec gods have appropriate figures for both, but whichever I want to pair them with, I've never really found a good fit for the other. Are there any other mythologies that might be appropriate for this?
              Aztecs are your big one here, and I would suggest mixing Moon and Stars into a single Titanrealm. It is just a good, solid solution, and makes sense for the Moon and Stars Titans to be in roughly a similar place. I believe Gotham By Night called the Titanrealm they made combining Moon and Stars Tamoachan back when their website was still up. Doing it this way solves a huge amount of difficulties, since the Aztecs issue is specifically with the night sky, including both the stars, and the moon.

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
              IF they're keeping the whole mono-avatar shtick that 1E had, then I could probably see the Theoi being good antagonists for the Titan of light. Gaia didn't really make any sense as an enemy because Gaia SAVED Zeus from the Titans and raised him in secret until he was ready to rebel against them. Plus in mythology, the Gods didn't live in an parallel dimension, they lived at the top of an actual mountain. Olympus exists within the World and is composed of earthly elements. It's a part of Terra. Simply put, the Theoi's Overworld is located inside a Titan!

The ancient Greeks, as I understand it, placed great value upon the accomplishments of the individual. Only the best and the brightest got to go to paradise. Losers and underachievers were cast into limbo (pretty much). So for there to be a Titan that comes in and starts demanding everybody venerate them (and only them), I imagine that the Gods of Olympus would be understandably upset!
              The Theoi don't have any outwardly antagonistic Titans of Light however. In fact, Helios, and Eos, Titans of the Sun and Dawn respectively, both are turncoats against their fellow Titans and supporters of Zeus. While their father, Hyperion, may be vaguely antagonistic, he is dwarfed in antagonistic function next to many other Titans of the Theoi.

Furthermore, to add onto what Creticus has said in support of Gaia as an antagonist for the Theoi, Gaia also mated with Tartarus to create Typhon who had the sole purpose in existence of overthrowing Zeus. And on top of that, Gaia foretold that Zeus, too, would be overthrown by one of his sons. And, while the Theoi's overworld is inside a Titan, literally every part of Theoi cosmology is inside a Titan. The world sits as a sphere. The upper half is Ouranos, the bottom half is Tartatus. The sphere is half filled with water, Oceanus, and the world floats upon this water, Gaia. Even outside of this sphere sits Khaos, the endless air beyond the world.

While the Theoi may be miffed if they run up against a Monothesitic Titan, most Pantheons would be. It's not exactly Greek Specific. In fact, the Greeks are not near the top of 'Get pissed if you don't worship us' scale. The Hittite Gods routinely make passing attempts to extinct humanity for simply messing up a ritual.

So, I will start by saying that I don't actually support this theory at all, but if someone really, had-had-had to have a Sun Titan opposing a single Pantheon, I would say you can sorta do it with the Irish? Honestly, the Irish should be opposed by a War Titan, but if you need to bend things to make a Sun Titan antagonist, Balor has been interpreted as some sort of solar entity. A giant with one colossal eye which radiates devastating 'rays' of something out upon the world below him. Personally, I don't go with it, I'd make Balor a Titan of War, specifically Subjugation. But if you needed a Sun Titan antagonist, he could fit with some degree of clodging. Added to the fact the Tuatha didn't bother to come up with a Sun God, eah?

Light / Sun Titanrealms are such a huge pain because they're never really the 'main issue' for a Pantheon. Sure, sometimes you get vaguely diskish suns, such as the one Mithra had to beat down, or Hou Yi knocking down some extra suns, but they don't really come up a ton as the 'main issue' outside of those suggestions Samudra gave.
              Last edited by Watcher; 04-02-2017, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Center-of-All View Post
                I'd say look towards the middle book of the Obsidian and Blood trilogy for something pretty close to what you're imagining there. The stars being monsters and kept at bay only through the protections of the gods, angry goddesses hacked apart and imprisoned, you got the works to see how a Star titan might work within their world. I'm not just recommending it because I'm a giant fan of the books, the material is pretty good for Scion ideas sometimes.

Comment

Neall mentioned once a situation where Vishnu got his clock cleaned by a rsi. i could not find anything abooout that,i didn't even figure out what a rsi is. can anyone tell?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                    Neall mentioned once a situation where Vishnu got his clock cleaned by a rsi. i could not find anything abooout that,i didn't even figure out what a rsi is. can anyone tell?
                    A Rsi, or if you want to write that more phonetically, a Rishi, is sometimes used to refer to any Sage or Hermit in Hinduism. Very specifically, it refers to a person to whom some kind of divine revelation, usually in the form of a hymn, is granted by virtue of their Yogic practices, be it study of the nature of the universe, intense faith, dedication of duty, or self-mastery (the word, incidentally, means 'he who sees'). Sometimes the word Rishi is used to only refer to the composers of the Vedic hymns, but in general composers of all hymns and sripture, Vedic or post-Vedic, can be called Rishis. The feminine of Rishi is Rishika, and a Sage or Hermit who has not composed a hymn or the like is a Muni. (Incidentally, Rishis don't have to be Sages...divine revelation has come to Kings, Yaksha, Asura and even other Gods, all of whom are considered Rishis of the specific hymn they authored).

As for Vishnu, the story goes that Shukra, God of the Planet Venus and Guru (teacher & guide) to the Asura once went to perform austerities to Shiva to gain boons on behalf of the Asura. Fearing that in his absence Indra and his court might try to harm the Asura, Shukra told them to take refuge with his mother, the Sage Kavyamata.

Seeing Shukra away, Indra and his court attacked the Asura under Kavyamata's protection. Angered by this, Kavyamata paralyzed Indra and his entire court, and kept them standing as statues in her hermitage.

Without Indra and Agni, Vayu and Varuna, the rain, the fire, the winds and the waves began to either go out of control or fall completely dormant, causing chaos in the World. Seeing this, Vishnu killed Kavyamata, freeing Indra and the others from her curse.

The Rishi Bhrigu (composer of various hymns in the Rig Veda), Shukra's father and Kavayamata's husband, was angered at Vishnu's murder of his wife, especially given that Indra and his court had attacked without provocation, and cursed Vishnu to be be born on Earth and know the pain of separation form the one he loved. This is given as an explanation for why Rama and Sita, human avatara of Vishnu and Lakshmi, go through such long periods of separation. (Bhrigu brings Kavayamata back to life, btw, in case you're wondering, because Rishis can pretty much do anything in Hinduism )

Comment

That's amazingly hilarious. Rishi: Here to kick ass and chew gum, and they're all out of gum.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpharius View Post
                        That's amazingly hilarious. Rishi: Here to kick ass and chew gum, and they're all out of gum.
                        And look amazing doing it

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra View Post

A Rsi, or if you want to write that more phonetically, a Rishi, is sometimes used to refer to any Sage or Hermit in Hinduism. Very specifically, it refers to a person to whom some kind of divine revelation, usually in the form of a hymn, is granted by virtue of their Yogic practices, be it study of the nature of the universe, intense faith, dedication of duty, or self-mastery (the word, incidentally, means 'he who sees'). Sometimes the word Rishi is used to only refer to the composers of the Vedic hymns, but in general composers of all hymns and sripture, Vedic or post-Vedic, can be called Rishis. The feminine of Rishi is Rishika, and a Sage or Hermit who has not composed a hymn or the like is a Muni. (Incidentally, Rishis don't have to be Sages...divine revelation has come to Kings, Yaksha, Asura and even other Gods, all of whom are considered Rishis of the specific hymn they authored).

As for Vishnu, the story goes that Shukra, God of the Planet Venus and Guru (teacher & guide) to the Asura once went to perform austerities to Shiva to gain boons on behalf of the Asura. Fearing that in his absence Indra and his court might try to harm the Asura, Shukra told them to take refuge with his mother, the Sage Kavyamata.

Seeing Shukra away, Indra and his court attacked the Asura under Kavyamata's protection. Angered by this, Kavyamata paralyzed Indra and his entire court, and kept them standing as statues in her hermitage.

Without Indra and Agni, Vayu and Varuna, the rain, the fire, the winds and the waves began to either go out of control or fall completely dormant, causing chaos in the World. Seeing this, Vishnu killed Kavyamata, freeing Indra and the others from her curse.

The Rishi Bhrigu (composer of various hymns in the Rig Veda), Shukra's father and Kavayamata's husband, was angered at Vishnu's murder of his wife, especially given that Indra and his court had attacked without provocation, and cursed Vishnu to be be born on Earth and know the pain of separation form the one he loved. This is given as an explanation for why Rama and Sita, human avatara of Vishnu and Lakshmi, go through such long periods of separation. (Bhrigu brings Kavayamata back to life, btw, in case you're wondering, because Rishis can pretty much do anything in Hinduism )
                          Oh,thank you. That's fascinating

Comment

Originally posted by Watcher View Post
                            Aztecs are your big one here, and I would suggest mixing Moon and Stars into a single Titanrealm. It is just a good, solid solution, and makes sense for the Moon and Stars Titans to be in roughly a similar place. I believe Gotham By Night called the Titanrealm they made combining Moon and Stars Tamoachan back when their website was still up. Doing it this way solves a huge amount of difficulties, since the Aztecs issue is specifically with the night sky, including both the stars, and the moon.
                            I don't know, I never liked fusing the Moon and the Stars together. I can agree that both are important and bad in Aztec mythology, but they're distinct concepts and shouldn't have ther uniqueness taken away like that.

Still, they are similar enough that I don't think it's the worst solution.

Comment

Working...
                            X