Boon issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boon issue

I know this might not be necessary anymore since we are going for the 2nd edition but still, I'm having trouble with demigod boons from the 1st edition and would like some advice to right them:

Water boon 5: allows you to extract water from a body you need to touch first. Inflicts [successes] lethal damages. The roll is strength + medicine.
    No Scion with the same Legend can survive this roll. Let me explain: the maximum this boon can inflict is 40L with a Scion Legend 7 (strength 7 + medicine 5 = 12 dice. The maximum will be 24 successes + epic strength 6 = 16 + 24 = 40)
    Against a Scion Legend 7 with Stamina 7, Lethal Soak will be = 7/2 + Epic stamina 6 = 4 + 16 = 20.

How to adjust that? :/

Another issue is Sky boon 6. 15 dice to roll is... not much. even with a maximum of 30 successes, against a Scion Legend 7, with Dexterity 7, Athletics 5 = 19/2 + Epic Dex 6 = 9 + 16. DV = 25.

Only 4L inflicted if the target has only one dot in Stamina.

I could not come up with any alternative.

Any idea?

Thanks

Well Armor and the knack damage conversion could help. Not everyone will have it but then again only a specific segment of scions are going to have those particular stats maxed. That's when you get creative.

Though in the end balance is usually well and truly shot by the end of demi-god anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post
      Well Armor and the knack damage conversion could help. Not everyone will have it but then again only a specific segment of scions are going to have those particular stats maxed. That's when you get creative.

Though in the end balance is usually well and truly shot by the end of demi-god anyway.
      even converted the maximum you get is still 7+16 = 23. You still get 7B... still strong :/

But yes, I agree that Demigod is not well balanced enough

Comment

Strong, but not insurmountable, and that's a max roll with maximum relevant stats for that legend. If you get twelve tens on twelve dice I'd say you deserve to one shot your target.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
          Let me explain: the maximum this boon can inflict is 40L with a Scion Legend 7 (strength 7 + medicine 5 = 12 dice. The maximum will be 24 successes + epic strength 6 = 16 + 24 = 40)
          Against a Scion Legend 7 with Stamina 7, Lethal Soak will be = 7/2 + Epic stamina 6 = 4 + 16 = 20.
          12 successes on 12 dice is a major statistical outlier, and deserves to deal considerable damage. You're going to average somewhere close to 6 successes off 12 dice. 6+16=22, so a slight edge for the attacker assuming the stamina guy has nothing else going on for him.

But let's make a proper stamina character. Stamina 7 = 4. Body Armor = 7. Nemean is standard issue at demigod = 8. Epic Stamina 6 = 16. That's 35 Lethal Soak before adding a single defensive boon. Just the stuff you'd probably be walking around with if you had epic stamina that high.

Another issue is Sky boon 6. 15 dice to roll is... not much. even with a maximum of 30 successes, against a Scion Legend 7, with Dexterity 7, Athletics 5 = 19/2 + Epic Dex 6 = 9 + 16. DV = 25.
          I've got no excuse for Levin Fury. It needs a proper damage roll.
          Last edited by TwitchTheRat; 03-31-2017, 02:27 AM.

Comment

TwichTheRat> agree, I thought about it afterwards and it is not that strong because knacks and random successes of the attack.

For Levin Fury, I was thinking of some sort of damage dealt with Legend. This boon sounds too majestic to only hit 15 lethal dice right?

Or maybe create a divine boon that will be more powerful?

Comment

rereading Levin fury, it goes off of wits+marksmanship to activate and extra successes apply (Straight from the book: "Each such bolt inflicts
              15 dice of lethal damage plus extra successes on the
              Marksmanship roll").. Plus the ability to chain and auto knockdown if it does damage all for 3 legend. And it seems range is "line of sight" so combine it with some perception knacks and you can hit people or titanspawn in the next county. It has the same issue as most ranged weapons do of not getting a bonus from any stat but most of the damaging demigod boons look to have that same issue. 15L is the same as a hand grenade after all. I mean if it's still not good enough maybe allow the scion to stack the damage by picking the same target with multiple bolts?

Comment

so.. threshold from wits +marskmanship + 15 dice L?

multiple bolts stacked would be too powerful.

Comment

so.. threshold from wits +marskmanship + 15 dice L?

multiple bolts stacked would be too powerful.
                  That's my reading.

True just spitballing.

Comment

Working...
                  X