April update and preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April update and preview

Fresh off the presses: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1849448

I'm not super shocked it isn't going to make the May date, schedule slippage happens, but how about that preview? That was a pretty meaty one, I liked the plurality of satyr paths being done.

I'm also stoked to see so many satyr varieties, as the usual one leaves me cold.

And I'm fine with a delay if it means a better end product; here's hoping this means the Pantheons can all be their best.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Yeah, the previews are appreciated.

And heck, back during the Q&A I asked Neall how the new Geasa would work. He said "Why don't I work Geasa into a preview?"

Well, he finally delivered!

Edit: And as a survivor of the Ex3 Kickstarter... Well let's just say it'll take SOME time before the delay feels 'long'.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Disappointing about the delay. But this update softens the blow quite a bit. I love the lore section, it nicely sets the tone for Scion/mortal interactions but leaves the scope flexible enough for different story styles.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
          Edit: And as a survivor of the Ex3 Kickstarter... Well let's just say it'll take SOME time before the delay feels 'long'.
          [stares wistfully at Wraith20]

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

*Toasts you a glass of Coke* Endure, brave fan.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

One day, jakki. One day. But hey, Exalted finally has a schedule of releases and both Cursed Necropolis: Rio and the Dark Eras Companion hit, perhaps the time of these projects to move is upon us. Sothis ascends and the ancient gamelines and projects stir to life.

Comment

If a Tuatha Scion puts a geis on a mortal during combat, I'm assuming that mortal is already in a situation that qualifies as a life-or-death situation, so how would breaking the geis escalate from there?

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
                [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
                [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Hmm, I must have been reading the wrong Huldra legends? I don't recall them having that much of a connection to hearth and home or being quiet hermits...

What happened to all the stories about them marrying mortal men and their tails falling off in a Church wedding, or of a Huldra-wife who twists a red hot poker into a pretzel to show her abusive husband what's what? Or of the shepherd boy who meets one and is polite by telling her her petticoat is showing when it actually is her cow tail?

Easy enough to pick and mix knacks though.

If we are going by descriptive words: Shy and Reclusive are certainly correct, so kudos to Neall, but so are Beautiful (as the Scandinavian equivalent to nymphs), Frighteningly Strong, and Kind (Especially to Charcoal Burners and those who are polite)
                  Last edited by prototype00; 04-03-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Yeah, delays are always disappointing, but it seems like it's a delay that will be worth it in the end. And if Neall and his team deliver on this promise that the delay is a mere weeks or months at worst, then that's just a relatively minor delay that will ultimately make the game better in the long run. When we finally get these PDFs, and they're all kinds of amazing, I'm sure none of us will spend much time dwelling on a short delay.

​And these latest previews are AWESOME!

​I love the Satyr types. Each one is really unique and distinct from the others, and I can imagine all kinds of fun playing as, and playing with, all three of them. Although, I must agree with prototype00: I don't remember reading any Hulder myths that remind me of this writeup. I've definitely heard the myths he described, but I never go quite the feel about them that this writeup presents.

​The Purviews? Always a treat. We've already seen a lot of the Fire Boons before, but hey! They're all awesome. I have yet to see a Boon from this game that conveys that disappointed feeling of "When the heck am I going to use THIS?" that so often plagued the 1E Purviews. I love how Heaven's Fire basically gives you unlimited fireballs for one Legend commitment for a scene. I'm already imagining the fun of flying around, getting my Green Goblin on, nuking everything around me with big booms!

​Forge? Love it! Once again, not a useless Boon in the mix, and it's so easy to see how much fun it will be to play a crafter Scion in this game. I'm normally not the "crafter guy" in our games, but even I can see myself having fun with these powers.

​Yoga? Very cool. I love that it actually encourages you toward selfless action, and the powers are useful and interesting. And I love that they mentioned the possibility of gaining a bow that shoots nukes! Dang! The Devas don't play!

​One question about Yoga? The preview mentions "performing austerities" as a way to fulfill one's obligations. I've heard the term before, but I'm not quite clear on what it involves? What are austerities? What are some examples of the things one might do?

​Geas? Still awesome, two editions running! Are we going to get more Geas options for possible consequences for broken Geasa? The preview just says you lose all your Legend points. I can certainly imagine that that's what happened to Cu Chulainn in his final battle, but will there be other possible consequences?

​And finally, the World stuff? Also great. This is what makes games interesting to me: thinking about what it would be like to live in this kind of world. Trying to imagine how it would be different from our own world. THIS is the stuff that makes game books fun to read for me.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Aren't austerities like the mortification of the flesh performed by ascetics today? Smearing your skin with the ashes of the dead, maintaining an uncomfortable position or subsisting on basically nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
                        Aren't austerities like the mortification of the flesh performed by ascetics today? Smearing your skin with the ashes of the dead, maintaining an uncomfortable position or subsisting on basically nothing?
                        ​Well, according to our good friend, Wikipedia, that's certainly one facet of it. In general, it appears to just be a series of self-discipline practices. Meditation and study are also valid austerities, it would seem.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

I'm hoping we see that revised Netjer draft soon.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post

​Well, according to our good friend, Wikipedia, that's certainly one facet of it. In general, it appears to just be a series of self-discipline practices. Meditation and study are also valid austerities, it would seem.
                            Ah, yes. Forgot that mortification of the Mind also counts.

On the subject of Hulder, I feel obliged to point to Neil Gaiman's Monarch of the Glen novella for an excellent example of a Huldra in a modern context. The competing strains of wanting to be a solitary, reclusive wilderness existence vs wanting to be a part of society are really strong there.

Comment

Right! And Gaiman's work has already been specifically mentioned as one of the big inspirations for 2E! That's probably where that part is coming from.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Working...
                              X