April update and preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    It means I wrote that power back when individual momentum was a thing and I need to rewrite it. ^_^
    ​D'oh! Heh, no worries, man, it happens. Should we assume it now means the group gains 1 momentum?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpharius View Post
      Maybe a missed line from the rule change. Editing passes are needed with major changes to mechanics, must have not been caught before it went up.
      It means I wrote that power back when individual momentum was a thing and I need to rewrite it. ^_^
      I figured that might be the case, but it's nice to know for sure

Originally posted by CreepyShutIn View Post

​D'oh! Heh, no worries, man, it happens. Should we assume it now means the group gains 1 momentum?
      I actually kinda hope it won't be that, though I won't be too disappointed if it is I kinda loved that, in contrast to most other PSP innate powers, which give benefits to you, the Hindu PSP innate power benefited anyone BUT you It was very... well, it reminded me of a verse in the Bhagvad Gita, where Krishna says to Arjuna:

"Your authority is in action alone, and never in its fruits; motive should never be in the fruits of action, nor should you cling to inaction."

- Bhagvada Gita, Chapter 2, Verse 47

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra View Post
        "Your authority is in action alone, and never in its fruits; motive should never be in the fruits of action, nor should you cling to inaction."

That's one of my all-time favorite quotes (not just from the Gītā, from anything).

Currently Writing Scion and Geist for Onyx Path, and many other things for other publishers
        Crowdfund Me Tha Illiad of MC Homer: a hip hop translation of Homer's Iliad

Comment

I figured that might be the case, but it's nice to know for sure

I actually kinda hope it won't be that, though I won't be too disappointed if it is I kinda loved that, in contrast to most other PSP innate powers, which give benefits to you, the Hindu PSP innate power benefited anyone BUT you It was very... well, it reminded me of a verse in the Bhagvad Gita, where Krishna says to Arjuna:

I don't really get the meaning of that qoute, could you please enlighten me on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

I don't really get the meaning of that qoute, could you please enlighten me on it?
            "Your authority is in action alone, and never in its fruits;" means that human beings only have the power to take actions. No matter how much they plan, how much they calculate, the results of actions can vary wildly from what we want or expect them to be. So while we can choose what actions to take, we cannot always (or even mostly) predict with absolutely certainty what the consequences of those actions will be. Therefore, the best we can do is take the right actions, to do the right things, and that is therefore what we much strive to do.

Of course, knowing what the right action is, is another thing altogether. Much of Hindu Philosophy (and indeed, pretty much the entire Bhagavad Gita) is dedicated to trying to figure out exactly that, and the Two Virtues of the Deva Pantheon in Scion represent the two most popular answers: Conscience and Duty dictate what is Right.

"Motive should never be in the fruits of action," is saying that one should not undertake right actions in hopes of some future reward or benefit to the self, but because it is the right thing to do. Your motives in doing the right thing should ideally be selfless. This part of the quote is why I loved the old innate Yoga Power and why I will be disappointed if they just change it to 'add a point of Momentum to the group pool from which I can also benefit'. Earlier, your reward for doing the right thing or upholding your duty was...absolutely nothing...somebody else in the scene got the reward for your right actions, not you, and I hope the replacement power keeps this theme.

Finally, "Nor should you cling to inaction." is saying that, just because you cannot be sure of success (the first part of the quote) and that you have no expectation of personal gain (second part of the quote) does not mean that you should stop doing Right Things. Better to try and fail at doing the right thing than never try to do it at all...better to do the right thing and gain no recognition or be denied your reward than to have not done the right thing at all.

Hope that helps explain it

Comment

Could be that it awards a point of momentum that you can't spend.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

One thing I noticed after re-reading the Fire Boons again? Heaven's Fire mentions that the fire attacks you can use have the "Aggravated tag."

​Should long-term players of WOD games assume that to mean that these attacks deal Aggravated damage, as we have seen in many WW/OP games? Or does "Aggravated" mean something different in Scion 2E?

​Because if it does mean Aggravated damage, then wow! Unlimited ranged Agg-attacks for a single dedicated Legend point? And this is a Hero-level Boon? Sheesh! Do I even want to guess what God-level Fire Boons are going to look like?

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Actually, no boon has their levels mentioned... why, by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
                    Actually, no boon has their levels mentioned... why, by the way?
                    Because according to this post by Vance:

Hero, Demigod, God.

So, so much.
                    as well as a few others that I can't track down right now, Boons no longer have levels, only tiers.

Comment

Because according to this post by Vance:

as well as a few others that I can't track down right now, Boons no longer have levels, only tiers.
                      ​Right. I need to start remembering to say "tier" not "level."

​Also? If I recall correctly, that "So, so much" line from Vance was him answering the question of just how badly Hero-tier Boons can mess up your day. And boy howdy, does it look like Vance was not kidding. Hero-tier Fire lets you sling Aggravated damage around like it's going out of style. Fertility lets you curse entire families with poor health or even death. Forge lets you reassemble even completely destroyed items.

​Can't wait to see what Sky or Health can do!

Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post
                        ​Can't wait to see what Sky or Health can do!
                        Personally I'm looking forward most to Stars and Death. Stars, mostly because it's my favourite Purview, and Death because while Fertility might have been the butt of all Useless Purview jokes back in 1E, Death wasn't much better. "Here are ten levels of ways to do things with ghosts, along with the requisite raise zombie power. Here are also pretty much zero reasons to care about ghosts." Given how universal and powerful and just damned mythically important and resonant Death as a concept is, the Purview of Death did not live (ha!) up to that.

I'm also really interested in seeing some of the Epic Physical Purviews, since the conversion of those three power sets to Puviews was a decision that I found interesting and would really like to see how that padded out.

Comment

...swim in magma for as long as you can hold your breath...
                          You probably still can't actually do this. Magma is much, much denser than water, so you would be able to sink into enough appreciably to swim - remember, it's still rock, so unless Scrooge McDuck physics are in play, trying to swim through it would just be bashing your head in. You could float, crawl on, or walk across lava easily though if heat is no longer an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgar View Post

You probably still can't actually do this. Magma is much, much denser than water, so you would be able to sink into enough appreciably to swim - remember, it's still rock, so unless Scrooge McDuck physics are in play, trying to swim through it would just be bashing your head in. You could float, crawl on, or walk across lava easily though if heat is no longer an issue.
                            ​To quote an old sidebar from Scion 1E: "This game isn't called Sci-ence!"

Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

This is true, but as a work-in-progress I would be remiss not to give the authors a chance to be one of the few works of fiction to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post
                                One thing I noticed after re-reading the Fire Boons again? Heaven's Fire mentions that the fire attacks you can use have the "Aggravated tag."

​Should long-term players of WOD games assume that to mean that these attacks deal Aggravated damage, as we have seen in many WW/OP games? Or does "Aggravated" mean something different in Scion 2E?

​Because if it does mean Aggravated damage, then wow! Unlimited ranged Agg-attacks for a single dedicated Legend point? And this is a Hero-level Boon? Sheesh! Do I even want to guess what God-level Fire Boons are going to look like?
                                Well I mean, in the WOD games like vampire and werewolf aggravated damage could be stuff like perfectly mundane fire. So it might not be as insane as it sounds. Granted the previewed boons so far seem like they'd be demigod level in last edition. Which I approve of, makes it feel much more epic much earlier. And it means we might get some truly amazing god boons if we're lucky, stuff that feels like you control an element and aren't just pretty good with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X