American Gods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Gods

Have you seen the first episode? what do you think? have you ever read the book?

Yes

8/10; relieved my worst fear (that with a visibly black [while interracial] actor as Shadow they wouldn't realize the weight of the image of him hanging from a tree in the context of cultural Americana, but they clearly are aware and are taking it seriously); the cast is so perfect it hurts! I'd pay to watch Ian McShane read a phone book, Ricky Wittle brings so much understated presence to Shadow, it's right on the nose even if he does have to be more vocal than in the book because we can't read his inner thoughts

Yes, one of my favorites by a living author

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

The contextual changes a clearly black Shadow brings to the role (as opposed to indeterminately racially ambiguous as he is in the book) are really interesting. It impacts his entire relationship to "America" as an abstract concept that runs through the story.

It probably won't happen till Season 2, but I'll put money it will shift some dynamics in his relationship to the Norman Rockwell fantasy of Lakewood.

Comment

For the unaware, I'm pretty sure Neall's mentioned that "American Gods" ties with "Wicked & Divine" for most influential source material (outside of the actual myths) on 2nd Edition. The alternate version of a main character Shadow meets in Iceland at the end of the book was one of the main inspirations for Mantles.

Comment

I have to say, I am really liking it. American Gods is one of my favorite books, and I was really concerned that it would be cheaply done, or botched in some way. Seeing the first episode has heavily relieved me of that concern. Ian McShane is an amazing Odin so far, the way American Gods presents the American-Odin has heavily influenced every incarnation of Odin that has been encountered in the Scion games I have run and played in, so it was amazing to see that figure come to life.

The opening story about the arrival of Odin to America I thought was really well done, and I loved it from a Scion perspective. The idea that Gods might not be looking this far away from their homeland, and staging a grand sacrifice or otherwise big weird attention grabbing thing to do your prayer up in Neon Lights is something I have done before, and it was cool to see that represented on screen.

Now I wait for the coming of Mr. Nancy. I am working on writing an Ashanti Pantheon at the moment, which of course includes Anansi, so I am looking forward to seeing him. I can't exactly remember the order of events in the book however, so I think it will be the Slavs first.

So, yes. Really enjoyed it, can't wait for the House on the Rock, possibly one of my favorite scenes for depicting divinities.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
          The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire.
          The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples.
          The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation.

Comment

Just watch it and it got me thinking of the Titians are the gods of technology and media. Picture Titian Spawn reimagined in a techno framework. I never read the books but this was great.

Comment

Originally posted by tytalan View Post
              Just watch it and it got me thinking of the Titians are the gods of technology and media. Picture Titian Spawn reimagined in a techno framework. I never read the books but this was great.
              I don't think that direct dichotomy translates. The Titans are (generally) OLDER than the gods and further from humanity. The New Gods of "American Gods" are by definition younger and more directly connected than the Old Gods to modern society.

I cant' say more than that without spoiling, but for book readers or people who don't care about spoilers...

the entire division of "Old Gods" and "New Gods" is a false one. The conflict is a con-job being run on both sides. So that being the case I wouldn't draw any metaphysical distinction between the Old and New Gods save for Pantheon

Comment

If there was ever a time Scion 2E needed to come out, it was right now.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                  For the unaware, I'm pretty sure Neall's mentioned that "American Gods" ties with "Wicked & Divine" for most influential source material (outside of the actual myths) on 2nd Edition. The alternate version of a main character Shadow meets in Iceland at the end of the book was one of the main inspirations for Mantles.
                  I thought that was incarnations. Of course, why not both?

Originally posted by Watcher View Post
                  Now I wait for the coming of Mr. Nancy. I am working on writing an Ashanti Pantheon at the moment, which of course includes Anansi, so I am looking forward to seeing him. I can't exactly remember the order of events in the book however, so I think it will be the Slavs first.
                  Apparently he's the opening coming to America segment in the next episode. I'm very okay with this

Comment

i just saw the second episode.

Gods of heaven... NANCY IS GREAT, JUST SO FUCKING GREAT

Comment

I am a bit troubled by the two episodes. It does not sound that close to the book and I don't remember any techno gods happen so early... maybe I've just forgotten or selective memory because I clearly remember Laura having sperm on her lips...

By the way, I did not know that american series can show cocks like that! That was... huge hehe

Comment

I don't remember any sperm on laura's lips...

Comment

My bad, it was Audrey who split on Laura's face..."She wiped a speck of something from the corner of her mouth"... misread hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
                            I am a bit troubled by the two episodes. It does not sound that close to the book and I don't remember any techno gods happen so early... maybe I've just forgotten or selective memory because I clearly remember Laura having sperm on her lips...

By the way, I did not know that american series can show cocks like that! That was... huge hehe
                            They've been INCREDIBLY close to the book for a tv series. I don't know what you're referring to in terms of substantive divergence yet.

IIRC, Shadow was picked up and roughed up by the Technical Boy and co pretty early. Of course it was in a literal car, not a vr encounter, but that's just them flexing the advantages of a visual medium.

Comment

so, I've never read the original book, but a friend of mine was so excited about this tv show that I had to watch it.

may contain spoilers

Up until now, a lot more violent and bloody than what I expected- not necessary a bad thing, but I wan't mentally prepared for it. I also see the writer went with the "Queen of Sheba as demon" interpretation, which I've never liked but I can accept. Seriously, the least sexy sex scene I've ever seen. Other than that, Odin acting as somewhat a mobster makes so much sense that it is hilarious! I'm also willing to bet that Shadow's friend from jail is Loki in disguise (I don't think they said his name- but it is something about his smile and how he act- but no spoilers!). I also can't really understand why there are three Zorya sisters instead of two, as they are meant to represent the two faces of Venus if I'm not mistaken (morning and evening star), but I guess there is a reason. And I really liked how Anansi's was presented in the show- exactly how I would imagine him, especially the all "let me tell you a story" kind of thing. Oh, and Media (I think it is media? you know, Lucy) is really cool, while that Technology guy is a jerk. It really made me feel the difference in attitude between the New and Old gods ("much better than lamb's blood"- a great sentence). Also, while at first I've thought that Odin was the one to save Shadow from Technology (you know, the whole "hanged from the tree" is kinda a Odin's thing), it is clearly not the case as he didn't knew anything about it. In that case, I assume that the buffalo was the one to save him- after all, he has a buffalo on his hotel shirt, and he did showed up in his dream near the tree. The ending of the last episode, however, wasn't that of hang cliff- it was obvious Shadow was going to lose to Chernobog, but he is clearly isn't going to die, or else the show would have been ended... I think

in sort- quit interesting, but I'm still not sure it would keep me hooked. Let's see how things roll.
                              Last edited by LostLight; 05-10-2017, 03:36 AM.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                              X