Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Gods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    American Gods may be my favorite book ever. Read it, I dare you.


    It is a time for great deeds!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by LostLight View Post
      so, I've never read the original book, but a friend of mine was so excited about this tv show that I had to watch it.

      may contain spoilers

      Up until now, a lot more violent and bloody than what I expected- not necessary a bad thing, but I wan't mentally prepared for it. I also see the writer went with the "Queen of Sheba as demon" interpretation, which I've never liked but I can accept. Seriously, the least sexy sex scene I've ever seen. Other than that, Odin acting as somewhat a mobster makes so much sense that it is hilarious! I'm also willing to bet that Shadow's friend from jail is Loki in disguise (I don't think they said his name- but it is something about his smile and how he act- but no spoilers!). I also can't really understand why there are three Zorya sisters instead of two, as they are meant to represent the two faces of Venus if I'm not mistaken (morning and evening star), but I guess there is a reason. And I really liked how Anansi's was presented in the show- exactly how I would imagine him, especially the all "let me tell you a story" kind of thing. Oh, and Media (I think it is media? you know, Lucy) is really cool, while that Technology guy is a jerk. It really made me feel the difference in attitude between the New and Old gods ("much better than lamb's blood"- a great sentence). Also, while at first I've thought that Odin was the one to save Shadow from Technology (you know, the whole "hanged from the tree" is kinda a Odin's thing), it is clearly not the case as he didn't knew anything about it. In that case, I assume that the buffalo was the one to save him- after all, he has a buffalo on his hotel shirt, and he did showed up in his dream near the tree. The ending of the last episode, however, wasn't that of hang cliff- it was obvious Shadow was going to lose to Chernobog, but he is clearly isn't going to die, or else the show would have been ended... I think


      in sort- quit interesting, but I'm still not sure it would keep me hooked. Let's see how things roll.


      Sweet summer child...it's okay, it's all okay

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by ElanConnor View Post



        Sweet summer child...it's okay, it's all okay
        and now I'm scared


        My Homebrew Signature

        "And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

        I now blog in here

        Comment


        • #19
          There are a few tellings that reference a third Zorya sister, but her name and role in relation to the other two were Gaiman's creation.
          Last edited by glamourweaver; 05-10-2017, 03:56 PM.


          Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
            There are a few tellings that reference a third Zorya sister, but her name and role in relation to the other two were Gaiman's creation.

            the three sisters are a concept that gaiman loves

            u can find em in american gods, in the ocean at the end of the lane, and in other short stories

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by ElanConnor View Post


              the three sisters are a concept that gaiman loves

              u can find em in american gods, in the ocean at the end of the lane, and in other short stories
              They're also kinda important in Sandman.

              Wheren't there three sister witches in Stardust?


              Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

                They're also kinda important in Sandman.

                Wheren't there three sister witches in Stardust?

                if i remember well, i think yes

                Comment


                • #23
                  They're all different ages, right? It's a mother/maiden/crone deal.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    An old one - a middle age one - a young one

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      so, I've just saw the third episode, and my main conclusion is that apparently, not all of the Old Gods as A-holes, which is nice.


                      My Homebrew Signature

                      "And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

                      I now blog in here

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                        There are a few tellings that reference a third Zorya sister, but her name and role in relation to the other two were Gaiman's creation.
                        Most of those are people jumping to the conclusion that it was a triple goddess, and trying to fit things into a common mold. People tried to do the same thing with Frigg, Freya, and... several young goddesses. I can't blame Gaiman for reading those musings and choosing to incorporate it into his fiction, but there were only ever two Zorya.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Even a transition episode like this is Awesome

                          i0m just so in love of this show

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            so I've just talked with my friend about how cool episode 3 was, and while doing so I've said that my favorite scene was when Lucy's eye (I think it was hers?) showed up at the moment when the bank's camera crashed- and he said that he didn't noticed! (well, he was drunk, so we can't blame him :P). Anyway, while I took a photo of the scene to show him (which he reacted as "oh shit....") I've noticed a something weird in the scene after it- that in the black screen, there was the image of a human shadow wearing an hat, standing in front of what looked like a forest. Then I've saw the whole camera scene once more, and I've discovered that the creepy shadow was seen through the whole thing!.. WHAT THE HELL???

                            (don't tell me, no spoilers- but seriously, what the hell?)


                            My Homebrew Signature

                            "And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

                            I now blog in here

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                              so I've just talked with my friend about how cool episode 3 was, and while doing so I've said that my favorite scene was when Lucy's eye (I think it was hers?) showed up at the moment when the bank's camera crashed- and he said that he didn't noticed! (well, he was drunk, so we can't blame him :P). Anyway, while I took a photo of the scene to show him (which he reacted as "oh shit....") I've noticed a something weird in the scene after it- that in the black screen, there was the image of a human shadow wearing an hat, standing in front of what looked like a forest. Then I've saw the whole camera scene once more, and I've discovered that the creepy shadow was seen through the whole thing!.. WHAT THE HELL???

                              (don't tell me, no spoilers- but seriously, what the hell?)
                              the man in the hat.... i had your same reaction.

                              idon't fucking know who the fuck is he.


                              i can just imagine, maybe is anansi... could be?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Me when Laura died and we saw her under those stars right as the camera started to pan over:

                                "It's not an old bus.... it's -"


                                Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X