Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many times have the Titans tried to escape?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many times have the Titans tried to escape?

Is this the first time since they were imprisoned, or have there been many such attempts?

Our society is held together by the thinnest of threads: that exquisitely refined sense of tribal order.
    Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence

I am a huge fan of both the Trinity Universe and the classic World of Darkness.

Depends which edition you're asking about. In 1e, the presentation is very much that this is the Titans' first successful escape. In 2e, however, not all the Titans were imprisoned - some were, but some were driven off, and some were bound to the pantheons through blood or marriage.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

If that's the case, then what's causing the sudden increase in the number of Scions, including the PCs? I thought it was to fight the newly-escaped Titans. And yes, I'm asking about 2e.

Our society is held together by the thinnest of threads: that exquisitely refined sense of tribal order.
      Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence

I am a huge fan of both the Trinity Universe and the classic World of Darkness.

Comment

We don't know for a fact that there is a sudden increase Scions in the 2e universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Spellfire22 View Post
          If that's the case, then what's causing the sudden increase in the number of Scions, including the PCs? I thought it was to fight the newly-escaped Titans. And yes, I'm asking about 2e.

In 1E, the Gods chose to withdraw from mortals, leading to the decline of Scions until the Titan's liberation forced them to start looking for more recruits. But in 2E, the Gods largely chose to stay in contact with mortals, or so we've been lead to believe. So it's very possible that Scions have been appearing all throughout history, without the need for some great crisis to encourage the deities to get busy.

Comment

Many Pantheons wouldn't even know how to imprison a Titan. The Shén, for example, prefer to give Titans jobs in the Celestial Bureaucracy in hopes of rehabilitating them. The Òrìshà and Loa, as usual, would like to take this opportunity to remind you there's no such thing as a Titan.

Currently Developing you know I should probably stop updating this field, I keep accidentally announcing things early
            Crowdfund Me Tha Illiad of MC Homer: a hip hop translation of Homer's Iliad

Comment

Originally posted by Lula View Post
              The Òrìshà and Loa, as usual, would like to take this opportunity to remind you there's no such thing as a Titan.

And the Devas would like to remind you there's no such thing as anything.

"Reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold!"

Comment

In 2e, there have always been Gods and their Scions, which is why The World is a distinct setting unto itself.

And I think the Netjer would resent the implication that their Titans are worthy of imprisonment! Geb and Nut are dear friends, as are the entire Ogdoad.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

And all this is why I VASTLY prefer the 2nd ed setting!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                    In 2e, there have always been Gods and their Scions, which is why The World is a distinct setting unto itself.

And I think the Netjer would resent the implication that their Titans are worthy of imprisonment! Geb and Nut are dear friends, as are the entire Ogdoad.
                    The Ogdoad are Primordials, according to Neall.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

The Ogdoad are Primordials, according to Neall.

Aren't Primordials and Titans kind of a square-rectangle situation?

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I got the sense from all earlier posts that they are going with the whole Primordials > Titans > Gods thing, wherein Primordials are 1st generation (and extremely abstract, distant, or alien) divinities and Gods as we know them would be 3rd generation. It's an approach which I found refreshing since it removes the idea of "greater titans" being these quasi-sentient planes of force to which titans are merely terminal interfaces, and assigns an actual name & personality to underlying cosmic forces of the universe that stand apart from direct interaction. A primordial is a being that existed before there was really sentience or substance in the universe, they're ones who actually started everything. Everyone who came later just started building on the property they cleared/created.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                          Aren't Primordials and Titans kind of a square-rectangle situation?
                          Nope. Neall indicated something like that early on, but it appears to have been dropped.

As it currently stands, metaphysically speaking Titans are deities who are wrapped up in their Purviews, lacking any regard, any connection, to humanity. Primordials are entities of such grand concept they generally can't manifest in the World, appearing only in the Overworld, and even then in world-body form.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

As it currently stands, metaphysically speaking Titans are deities who are wrapped up in their Purviews, lacking any regard, any connection, to humanity. Primordials are entities of such grand concept they generally can't manifest in the World, appearing only in the Overworld, and even then in world-body form.

Meaning that if a Scion decided to build their Legend around their purviews, they could in theory become a Titan upon reaching apotheosis?

I really like that idea; gives players more incentive to try stories in which they work against the Gods.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Meaning that if a Scion decided to build their Legend around their purviews, they could in theory become a Titan upon reaching apotheosis?

I really like that idea; gives players more incentive to try stories in which they work against the Gods.

Well, now that is an interesting avenue the game can lead players to. Although I'd find it bittersweet, since Titans are inhuman by definition - the heroes ending up sacrificing their humanity to vanquish their enemies.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Working...
                              X