Music about mythology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music about mythology

The music video for "Eleggua" by Daymé Arocenia, filmed in Havana, just popped up on my news feed. I really like the way the artist blends traditional religious melody with Afrobeat. You'll hear a lot of Cuban-accented Yorùbá, and see what traditional dress for many Lukumí practitioners looks like, complete with elekes (beaded necklaces).
    http://www.okayafrica.com/audio/daym...-ode-santeria/

This got me thinking about pop music which references the Òrìshà, like Beyoncé costuming as Òshun at her 2017 Grammy performance …
    https://vimeo.com/203941448

… or the Desi Arnaz song about Sònpònna linked in the most recent Kickstarter update. Capoeira songs mention the Òrìshà pretty frequently as well. I'm also a huge fan of Monkey, Damon Albarn's Journey to the West-based concept album.

Do you have favorite songs about mythical figures?

Currently Developing you know I should probably stop updating this field, I keep accidentally announcing things early
    Crowdfund Me Tha Illiad of MC Homer: a hip hop translation of Homer's Iliad

Hadestown, a concept album retelling the story of Orpheus and Eurydice.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

A few of The Sword's early albums were all about Viking mythology.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        I almost got to go to the most recent production of this in New York! I did get to hear Anaïs Mitchell talk live about it though. She's great.

Currently Developing you know I should probably stop updating this field, I keep accidentally announcing things early
        Crowdfund Me Tha Illiad of MC Homer: a hip hop translation of Homer's Iliad

Comment

Verdi's opera Aida

Iron Maiden's "Flight of Icarus"

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Not sure how accurate this is to Scion. But thought it fit perfectly for V:tM

Lords of the Trident: Followers of Set

Comment

let's say that this remember me scion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um1hh6QsWsU

Comment

Hmm. Can't believe I forgot Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song".

Also, Cream's "Tales of Brave Ulysses", Donovan's "Atlantis", and a number of songs by Robert Johnson.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                  That's what inspired my interpretation of Persephone at my table, with her cycle to the world of the living and back bringing the respite of light, life, etc to the underworld. The garden Hades gives her to tend growing into Elysium (which accounts for the shift in portrayal of the Underworld in earlier vs later Greek Myth - it originally was desolate for everyone, but Persephone changed that over time).
                  Last edited by glamourweaver; 06-15-2017, 12:36 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Heather Dale 'Mordred's Lullaby' and 'the Kings Sword'

Comment

Disturbed - Deify Perfect song for an antagonist.

Comment

Eluveitie's A Rose for Epona seems to be a good inspiration for the Nemetondevos

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

That's what inspired my interpretation of Persephone at my table, with her cycle to the world of the living and back bringing the respite of light, life, etc to the underworld. The garden Hades gives her to tend growing into Elysium (which accounts for the shift in portrayal of the Underworld in earlier vs later Greek Myth - it originally was desolate for everyone, but Persephone changed that over time).
                          Here's the number I was thinking of

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

On the lighter side of things, talking about trickster antics on another thread reminded me of this one:

The Gods Are Not Crazy

Jason Ross Inczauskis
                            Freelance Writer
                            Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, TC In Media Res
                            Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action (Alban, Beelzebub, Oxblood Mold, Whispering Oak); C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Barrule's "In Search of Manannan" gives me chills when I hear it. Crazy dreams too. You can find it on Youtube. Traditional and contemporary Manx music.

www.barruletrio.com is their webpage. I definitely recommend this band!
                              Last edited by Manannansun; 08-09-2017, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X