Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other African pantheons?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Wikipedia lists a Creator God, a Justice/Vengeance God, and a Guardian Sea Goddess to name a few. But their religious and cultural practices are pretty amazing.

    Comment


    • #47
      What do people know about the Mbuti pantheon? All I can really find for them is a wikipedia stub, but they sound interesting. Khonvoum in particular seems cool, and they have a couple of cool Titans. Has anyone looked into them as a potential pantheon? If so, does anyone have an idea of who their principle members would be?

      Also, on an unrelated note, which is the correct name, Cagn or Kaang?
      Last edited by Wannabe Demon Lord; 04-08-2018, 05:00 PM.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
        What do people know about the Mbuti pantheon? All I can really find for them is a wikipedia stub, but they sound interesting. Khonvoum in particular seems cool, and they have a couple of cool Titans. Has anyone looked into them as a potential pantheon? If so, does anyone have an idea of who their principle members would be?

        Also, on an unrelated note, which is the correct name, Cagn or Kaang?
        ǀKaggen is the more correct form, noted down by a proper linguist. Cagn is basically write-it-as-you-hear-it, courtesy of a certain colonial official. As they were noted among different tribes, though, they are often used parallelly. 'Kaang, meanwhile, is a sky god recorded by a French missionary, which may or may not be related to ǀKaggen.

        Regarding the Mbuti, I've been searching for ages for anything substantial on them, and still haven't found it. Sorry.

        Comment


        • #49
          Another question for Watcher and Sacerdos here. I know the Abosom have only four "major" figures, but given that you guys have specific sections in your write-ups for minor deities, are you planning on including any minor gods for them, maybe some of the Ntoro deities? You mentioned ​Bosommuru by name, is he getting an entry?

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
            Another question for Watcher and Sacerdos here. I know the Abosom have only four "major" figures, but given that you guys have specific sections in your write-ups for minor deities, are you planning on including any minor gods for them, maybe some of the Ntoro deities? You mentioned ​Bosommuru by name, is he getting an entry?
            Funny you should ask that, I was just today thinking I should do a Abosom spoiler again these days A lot has changed since we made that statement. The finalised version which will enter editing sometime this year includes five figures, Anansi, Nyame, Asase Ya, Tano, and Akonnedi, as Major Gods, and the god Tutu as well as the Nananom (local guardian deities) and Ntoro deities as templates for Minor Gods. Also, I am by now very unhappy with our work on the San Pantheon so far, so I'm not sure anymore if and how soon they will happen, especially since Watcher is currently all but out of commission for his many other responsibilities. Sorry for that.

            Comment


            • #51
              After a very quick Google search, Akonnedi seems to be a mother goddess and a divine arbiter of conflicts. Is this accurate?
              Tutu, on the other hand, doesn't really come up with much on Google, largely due to the word having other definitions, I assume. What are they like?

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
                After a very quick Google search, Akonnedi seems to be a mother goddess and a divine arbiter of conflicts. Is this accurate?
                Tutu, on the other hand, doesn't really come up with much on Google, largely due to the word having other definitions, I assume. What are they like?
                Akonnedi is weird and I'll leave it to your reading of my full write-up of her in a year or so to explain her fully. Suffice to say, she doesn't fit in anywhere. She is a non-Akan goddess adapted into Akan-Ashanti religion, yet still speaking in a foreign language through her oracle. She is a goddess of liberation from social norms in a rigidly stratified slaving society. She is weird. She also helped inaugurate the first President of Ghana. Tutu is a war fetish turned god, a blood-thirsty deity of fighting, fertility, and booze, and kind of another template for a whole category of such deities of which he is only the most prominent. Like Akonnedi, he is also kinda a foreigner.

                Comment

                Working...
                X