Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Players/Developers of Scion Actually Honor the Old Gods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Players/Developers of Scion Actually Honor the Old Gods?

Hi,
    I am a individual with a strong connection to Mongan ap Fiachna, divine child of Manannan mac Lir. I am curious about how many people who love scion actually worship/venerate the old gods, or have a personal connection with them? I have seen so many passionate individuals supporting this "game" (I view it as a path of mysticism) that I can't help but think some others here have a similiar relationship.

I remember that Neall mentioned that while he might not personally WORSHIP the Tuatha, he has a lot of Irish heritage, so he felt a sort of connection to learning about them for the project. I also remember seeing the introduction for the author of the Manitou mentioned that he's of Lakota heritage and lives out in Chicago.

I mean, I wouldn't say that everyone has a deep personal connection, but I wouldn't be surprised if Neall tried to find writers who were passionate about their assigned pantheon.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

There are members of the community who actively follow various entities or religious systems that are the topic of the game. Samudra, for example, is Hindu. As Kyman mentioned, there are a lot of developers or posters who seem to have a non-religious connection with various Pantheons as well. For example, my academic fascination for the Tuatha was fueled by one of my parents being Irish, and being able to use the Tuatha as a point of connecting with grandparents.

I get the feeling there is a lot of that on the forum. People who do not necessarily worship the Pantheons depicted in the game, but have some sort of historical connection.

Comment

I'm no pagan, but I've had at least one powerful spiritual exprience revolving around Het-Heru.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I am pagan, although somewhat eclectic.

Comment

I identify very seriously as "the religion of the person I'm speaking with at the time." That said, when I go looking for organized religion, it's Afro-Atlantic.

Currently Developing you know I should probably stop updating this field, I keep accidentally announcing things early
            Crowdfund Me Tha Illiad of MC Homer: a hip hop translation of Homer's Iliad

Comment

Honor yes, worship no.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I used to be a huge fan of Greek mythology when I was younger and considered it an interesting religion.

Then I got older, put the mythology into better context and realized what a bunch of dicks the Olympians were! (seriously, only the best and the brightest get into paradise when they die. The rest are thrown in the trash.)

That being said, I am still fascinated by pagan mysticism and would still be interested in learning more about it.
                Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-12-2017, 11:09 PM.

Comment

As Watcher mentioned above, I'm Hindu, though my personal approach is a little eclectic, and best described as left-handed Pantheistic Shaktism with a Bhakti bent, with Kali as my personal patron, though I honour most of the Goddesses and Gods of all Pantheons.

Comment

I was a little more active during the kickstarter and have mostly become a lurker these days, but I am pagan. I honor the Norse and Irish pantheons, with my personal deities being Thor, Brigid, Freyja, and Lugh. For me, being pagan is in part about reclaiming my ancestry. I have Viking ancestors on my dad's side and very strong Irish heritage on my mom's side.

Part of the reason I love Scion so much is because I had never heard of the Tuatha before I read about them in the 1E Companion, so Scion helped me learn about a part of my heritage I probably wouldn't have learned about otherwise.

Comment

I honour the Norse gods, with a personal bent toward Thor, Freyja, and Loki (I know. Eclectic, right?). Tyr and Odin have also wandered in and out of my life before, Tyr especially, but day to day it's usually the first three.

Comment

I follow a personal path that generally deviates between the local variants of Shinto, Dao, Buddhist, and Kong Zi thought. Various aspects appeal to me, and I am still looking for further understanding as I go. I don't have a good way to explain it, but I wouldn't call it either Honor or Worship, its something other than that.

How can I know if what I claim I know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I might not know? How can I know if what I claim I don't know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I do know?
                        -Zhuangzi

Comment

I just realized I didn't put my personal read down, and if we're taking this to a "What Do The Gods Of Old Mean To You?" I'll happily post my thoughts.

I personally don't consider myself especially religious. But I am fascinated by stories. I love learning about different religions, academically.

I also don't begrudge people of their faith if they're not using it as an excuse to be a jackass. Personally I feel that these myths and religions exist to help bring people peace and help make sense of this crazy world of ours. If your faith helps bring you peace or inspires you to be a better person, then bless you. The world could use more like you.

Though alas, I'm one of those "Freaking Casuals" when it comes to myths. More familiar with the Greek, Nordic, and Egyptian myths than the others... Though many of my grade school classes had units on the myths and stories of the Native tribes of the Pacific Northwest (the Washington State area to be specific). But that's why I love both the variety of the Pantheons we're getting in 2E, and the very obvious passion that the writers are putting in. I'd love to learn more, and I think this new Scion edition will be great for that.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I am personally an atheist. I believe mythology to be fiction, but nevertheless, it's fascinating fiction. I can appreciate the old gods as interesting characters, cultural icons, and a fascinating view into the nature of humanity. Mythology is a great display of how humankind changes, yet nevertheless, retains certain universal, narrative constants, even between the most varied of cultures. On top of that, it's just cool. From the epic, apocalyptic, battle of Ragnarok to Kali massacring hordes of Raktavija clones by slurping up their blood, mythology has all the tropes and elements I love in all sorts of fiction. It's also a great source of inspiration for me creatively. I love coming up with new stories about these figures. I'm particularly fascinated by crossover cosmologies, as I love seeing interactions between beings of widely varied natures and cultural origins, and I'm quite intrigued by the question of what the old gods are doing in modern times. I also, needless to say, love researching the more obscure of the world's mythical figures. I love using figures from little-known mythologies from underrepresented cultures, both because I feel those people's figures and stories need to be represented and there's also an enormous amount of untapped potential for fiction from those little-known stories.

I confess I can sometimes get a bit smug and bitter when it comes to religion, fuelled to a great degree by the far-less-then-positive effect the Christian right, in particular, has had in the US where I live, but overall, concerning people of faith, if you're not a bigot, and you don't deny science, and you're pro separation of church and state, I don't have a problem with you.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                              Honor yes, worship no.
                              I identify as some sort of eclectic. I agree with Glamour, given that I honor the gods and such, but im not entirely sure how to worship some of them and other than tithing a small bit of food and some energy, i dont do much.

I'm not religious, I just believe. I believe in the gods as they are, and continue to learn about them as i can.
                              I ask them for help and give praise to the gods, they have my faith and belief, but i'll honor them in my own ways, not via a religious way.

The Theoi and Tuatha are pantheons i follow a bit more closely than the others, and i work to learn and understand more of the other pantheons. mythology fascinates me, so i enjoy learning more of the stories.

people can believe what they wish. its not my decision as to what you believe.

have a lovely day!

Comment

Working...
                              X