Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pregnancy Knacks for Goddess of Maternity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pregnancy Knacks for Goddess of Maternity

    I am wondering if there are any knacks out there for a Goddess of Maternity? The concept is one I have had for awhile. I also believe that she would qualify as a human for the purposes of creating scions until she became a full deity correct? If so I imagine that her pantheon (The Tuatha) would constantly have children with her, so anything that would either help overcome her condition during gestation or bestow enhancement from her condition is what I am looking for. I was considering her as the embodiment of maternal love and population growth.

  • #2
    In 1est there is a hero level health boon to ensue healthy children and Ragnarok has a health boon to guarantee the next intercourse that could possibly result in a child does. 2nd has a fertility boon that effects reproduction I believe. Don't know about regular knacks though.

    Comment


    • #3
      There are some fan-made Knacks for controlling one's personal fertility, but no Knacks from RAW. If you're looking for mechanical support for a pregnant Player Character so that they can still participate in the more world-traveling parts of stories, check out Epic Stamina in general. It should provide the general capacity to offset the physical effects of pregnancy on someone.

      The two Knacks we use in our revised version of Scion are here. Though, I will admit, no one has gone the route of proper Childbearing Deity yet. Health and Fertility tend to be the Purviews people houserule human fertility Boons into as well, adding to the base two in RAW.

      And yeah, she counts as a human for RAW's Scion rules. Check with your Storyteller if you want to fiddle with them however. Some Pantheons don't have any cannonical biological Scions, and some just mostly have mortals who have been uplifted in one way or another. There might be some room for variance if you chat with your ST! The Tuatha are pretty big on the biological Scions though.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think there's a Fertility Purview in 2e.


        Just call me Lex.

        Female pronouns for me, please.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah, Fertility will be good for goddesses of motherhood.


          Developer for Exalted

          Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

          Robert Vance's Patreon

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post
            In 1est there is a hero level health boon to ensue healthy children and Ragnarok has a health boon to guarantee the next intercourse that could possibly result in a child does. 2nd has a fertility boon that effects reproduction I believe. Don't know about regular knacks though.


            I think there's a boon that just makes you spontaneously pregnant. The drawback is you can't use Health Boons on yourself.

            Immaculate conception kind of deal. But even if there isn't, players have the option of home brewing new Boons.
            Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-13-2017, 03:50 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
              Yeah, Fertility will be good for goddesses of motherhood.
              Which is important because in 1E, Fertility was a Purview... But it was for PLANTS. There was a Health purview that had some Child and Health boons in it, but they felt like a smaller facet.

              IIRC, when the 2E Fertility Purview was previewed there was a Boon that let the Hero basically bless a land and family upon it with great health and fortune, which DID expand to "Those born living on this land will have pregnancies free of complications and their children will be healthy"

              So yeah, good on that.


              Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

                Which is important because in 1E, Fertility was a Purview... But it was for PLANTS. There was a Health purview that had some Child and Health boons in it, but they felt like a smaller facet.

                IIRC, when the 2E Fertility Purview was previewed there was a Boon that let the Hero basically bless a land and family upon it with great health and fortune, which DID expand to "Those born living on this land will have pregnancies free of complications and their children will be healthy"

                So yeah, good on that.


                Well, honestly, how many powers can you think of that relate to pregnancy? Having an entire purview centered around it would be pretty difficult to come up with.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                  Well, honestly, how many powers can you think of that relate to pregnancy? Having an entire purview centered around it would be pretty difficult to come up with.
                  Probably not wrong. Though I imagine that one could get use out of... Well, I think the Companion is slated to have slightly different ways to view Purviews and alter them SLIGHTLY. Like, how does Fire (Volcano God) play differently from Basic Fire?


                  Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

                    Probably not wrong. Though I imagine that one could get use out of... Well, I think the Companion is slated to have slightly different ways to view Purviews and alter them SLIGHTLY. Like, how does Fire (Volcano God) play differently from Basic Fire?


                    Well, in 1E there are pretty much infinite possibilities when it came to homebrewing Boons. The books had some examples, but the only limitations were those of the player's imagination. I tried to come up with a Water Boon that lets you summon a jet stream under your feet and ride around on it.

                    But pregnancy is just that, pregnancy. You have a power that increases / decreases fertility rate and that's pretty much all you can do with it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                      But pregnancy is just that, pregnancy. You have a power that increases / decreases fertility rate and that's pretty much all you can do with it.
                      I think there is a lot of design room in place for interesting powers based around this concept. I don't tend to design them for our houserules since, honestly, it just doesn't come up that often and we've not had anyone express interest in playing a figure with such thematic components, but there is some more stuff that can be done! Powers that relate to thematic concepts of pregnancy, or similar concepts are a good area to look into. Powers based on having children can also be good. I think there is a lot of room for designing powers based on human fertility. However I think that they don't come up all that often in games. At least not in ours.

                      For an example of a higher-tier Boon, here is a Rank 9 Fertility Boon we are currently testing out in our games.

                      FRUITFUL UNION ●●●●● ●●●●
                      Cost: 1 Legendary Deed + ???
                      Dice Pool: ???
                      Type: ???
                      A theme sitting deep in the psyche of many ancient cultures, a marriage of two individuals (though sometimes it is just intercourse) to ensure the fertility of the land will continue. To perform this Ritual, the Scion must find someone of the opposite sex (or otherwise able to impregnate them, or be impregnated by the user) and begin a ritual of their choice. Be it a grand and marvelous Aztec wedding ceremony, or as simple and brute as The Morrigan and The Dagda copulating before a battle, the ritual must end in intercourse between the two. By doing this, the Scion gives every member of their Pantheon (save for Scions below Legend 9) a bonus. A child need not be conceived, but if the couple desires, or is at least willing to deal with a baby God or Goddess, this bonus is greatly intensified.
                      All members of the Pantheon gain the higher Legend of the couple as bonus dice to all rolls for a year, and they may all remove two dice on Virtue rolls to resist them (of the Pantheon’s four primary) when faced with a member of their Pantheon’s actions. If a child is conceived, and is born from this union (gestation taking only a week), these dice bonuses change to successes, though the two parents now have to deal with an infant God or Goddess, a colossal handful as any of the Pantheons would tell you. If this child dies during the year the bonus is in effect, the power inverts and becomes a curse, with all members of the Pantheon losing the bonus and suffering an identical die/success penalty on all rolls. In short: Don’t let the child die under any circumstance.
                      Because of the difficulty of Divine children, and the potential for doom, Pantheons don’t tend to encourage, or sometimes even allow, children to be conceived in these rituals. A Pantheon may only be affected by one of these blessings at a time, but may suffer any number of curses.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        These are my rough drafts, I haven't done any mathematics yet. What do you think?

                        Flaunt/Conceal Pregnancy - Meant to replace Fanmade Hidden Pregnancy this Knack would encompass the opposite side of the spectrum as well. Concealment may all be well and good for a number of different situations but sometimes putting one’s fertility on display is just as or more important. Thus Flaunt would cause a pregnant user to become full-term within minutes and make them over to be a ideal embodiment of maternity. If desiring to end this effect, in several minutes the user will have their pregnancy regress to the the stage they would be in normally. Conceal would be identical to the fanmade Hidden Pregnancy also with the choice to revert to one’s actual stage in pregnancy.

                        Psychic Pregnancy- Essentially the more intellectual prodigious the user of this boon is the longer they can temporarily neutralize the drawbacks of their pregnancy or even enhance themselves while pregnant. It would factor in the current stage of the pregnancy which would restrict the enhancement (and the neutralization of the drawbacks) to a certain level. So if a fertility goddess was in her 9th month she would not be restricted or hindered by her current state. In addition she would suffer none of the symptoms associated with her maternity (ie: swollen ankles, insomnia, morning sickness, etc.). However a fertility goddess in her 4th month would only receive half roughly half of the benefit (so the restrictions for movement and physical activity would be halved not dropped), additionally she only has (still working this out) the associated symptoms.
                        Conceive and Carry- With each dot of Stamina past mortal feasibility the possessor of this knack can carry and deliver one extra child without issue. However she would display some outward sign of her miraculous motherhood (decided by player and storyteller). With male scions this gift is impossible to use on a normal human woman, only lesser immortals or legendary mortals. With each dot of Stamina past mortal feasibility the possessor of this knack can ensure his partner conceives one extra child. Since this cannot be used on mortals and only with full disclosure and willingness (without duress) the children are automatically lesser immortals (such as Sidhe, Alfar, etc.) In addition during the woman’s pregnancy the male deity is under the effects of divine Couvade’s Syndrome experiencing their partner’s pregnancy psychically. This is the equivalent of the outward sign of the female version.

                        I haven't worked out the bonus from Psychic Pregnancy, Flaunt/Conceal is aimed at social interaction (relationships, politics, etc.), Conceive and Carry is meant to give a fertility goddess an increase in fertility rate while the male users are bonded with their chosen mating partner (getting in touch with your female side/displaying the power to bring forth life, inward signs/outward signs, etc.).


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Manannansun View Post
                          Flaunt/Conceal Pregnancy - Meant to replace Fanmade Hidden Pregnancy this Knack would encompass the opposite side of the spectrum as well. Concealment may all be well and good for a number of different situations but sometimes putting one’s fertility on display is just as or more important. Thus Flaunt would cause a pregnant user to become full-term within minutes and make them over to be a ideal embodiment of maternity. If desiring to end this effect, in several minutes the user will have their pregnancy regress to the the stage they would be in normally. Conceal would be identical to the fanmade Hidden Pregnancy also with the choice to revert to one’s actual stage in pregnancy.
                          I'm assuming this is an Epic Appearance Knack as it has to do with one's appearance, yes? The Knack's effect is rather narrow, a very, very niche power, but that is somewhat to be expected for these Knacks. Probably a cost of 1 Legend to put it on the same level as Detail Variation as well. I don't know how often it would come up, but if it is something a player really wanted, I would let them. Anyone with the God template is technically already able to do this when creating their avatar IIRC, but that's a problem that exists with all of the appearance shifting powers in RAW.

                          Originally posted by Manannansun View Post
                          Psychic Pregnancy- Essentially the more intellectual prodigious the user of this boon is the longer they can temporarily neutralize the drawbacks of their pregnancy or even enhance themselves while pregnant. It would factor in the current stage of the pregnancy which would restrict the enhancement (and the neutralization of the drawbacks) to a certain level. So if a fertility goddess was in her 9th month she would not be restricted or hindered by her current state. In addition she would suffer none of the symptoms associated with her maternity (ie: swollen ankles, insomnia, morning sickness, etc.). However a fertility goddess in her 4th month would only receive half roughly half of the benefit (so the restrictions for movement and physical activity would be halved not dropped), additionally she only has (still working this out) the associated symptoms.
                          Epic Stamina I guess since it's dealing with one's capacity to deal with their own body? I would say that just having Epic Stamina in the first place allows you to ignore all of the penalties a mortal may have from a pregnancy. Epic Stamina lets you drink acid, be torn in half by a Jotun and shrug it off, that sort of thing. Pregnancy does a massive tole on the human body, but for someone with some Epic Stamina, they would probably be a-Okay. I would probably say that Epic Stamina reduces any such penalties the same way it reduces Wound Penalties. So, by Epic Stamina 3, one wouldn't suffer any penalties since they're automatically getting 4 Successes on all Stamina-related rolls anyways. Some of the Knacks in Epic Dexterity, such as Divine Balance, would also offset a lot of the penalties mechanically if someone didn't have any Epic Stamina.

                          In theory, the Knack could help someone who only has 1 or 2 Epic Stamina, but the figure could just buy some Dots of Epic Stamina instead. And most Deities will probably have more than Hero-tier Epic Stamina anyways.

                          Maybe there is something else that could fit into this slot better? Perhaps have a Knack that allows Abnormal Pregnancies, such as Athena in Zeus' head, or Dionysus in Zeus'... thigh? Shin? Something leg-related. Probably let the person with the Knack cause them as well as have them themselves.

                          Originally posted by Manannansun View Post
                          Conceive and Carry- With each dot of Stamina past mortal feasibility the possessor of this knack can carry and deliver one extra child without issue. However she would display some outward sign of her miraculous motherhood (decided by player and storyteller). With male scions this gift is impossible to use on a normal human woman, only lesser immortals or legendary mortals. With each dot of Stamina past mortal feasibility the possessor of this knack can ensure his partner conceives one extra child. Since this cannot be used on mortals and only with full disclosure and willingness (without duress) the children are automatically lesser immortals (such as Sidhe, Alfar, etc.) In addition during the woman’s pregnancy the male deity is under the effects of divine Couvade’s Syndrome experiencing their partner’s pregnancy psychically. This is the equivalent of the outward sign of the female version.
                          Okay, this one feels more like a Boon than a Knack. It's dealing with a lot of things, from the physical creation of Lesser Immortals, to causing a mental effect. I would probably make this a Demigod-ish tier Fertility or Health Boon, depending on what each table is using to represent this sort of thing. I will add in some Notes to explain why I am wording things a certain way here and there.

                          Edit: Using RAW's power scaling, I would actually probably make this a Rank 8 Boon based off Epic Enhancement from Animal.

                          ----
                          CONCEIVE AND CARRY - Fertility (or Health) 6
                          Cost: 10 Legend and 2 Willpower or 10 Legend, 2 Willpower, and 1 Legendary Deed.
                          Dice Pool: Fertility + Fortitude or Occult. (If using RAW Epic Attribute based Purviews, use Epic Stamina)
                          Type: Miscellaneous
                          A Demigod with this Boon may use this Boon on themselves when, in some way, engaging in an act that could result in the conception, or creation, or children. (Note: This is worded slightly oddly, but it is specifically to include other Boons or Knacks a group may have at their table for unnatural conceptions such as having children with a tree, being impregnated by a flower, etc) This Boon may only be used with a willing partner, or if the partner does not possess a mind it may be used if they are an abstract concept, immaterial force, inert object, or plant. When the cost to use this Boon is paid, the Scion rolls their Fertility + Fortitude or Occult, with the Successes being the number of children conceived by this action, with no penalty to anyone involved no matter the number of Successes scored. If both parties consent to it, an entity who is not carrying the children can experience a Divine version of Couvade's Syndrome.

                          The children created through the use of this Boon can be, if the Scion wishes, be Legendary Immortals appropriate to their Pantheon. For example, Pan could father Satyrs, Ryujin could father dragons, Fand may mother Sidhe, and Jord could mother Jotun.
                          ----

                          I changed some features of the power. I removed the sex-based functionality since, you know, Freyr should be just as potent in the field as Ishtar. They are both Deities of human fertility, no reason for one to outshine the other when they can both assume Purview Avatars and wield the strength of Ultimate Attributes. I also made the sympathetic pregnancy clause optional as a lot of Pantheons would have a rather visceral reaction to that. Pantheons with very ridged gender roles could have a quite negative reaction to that sort of thing, and it wouldn't really want to be something some Deities wants to impose.

                          If you want a power to function like Macha's Curse to the Ulaid, that could probably work as a Health/Fertility or War Boon depending on how you want to fluff it. I would probably lean towards it being a War Boon and leaving the exact 'fluff' of the penalty imposed to be up to the Deity in question. So Macha could cause the Birthing Pangs, where Hachiman could impose a desire to stop fighting, different things that could impose a penalty.

                          Is the character you are designing these powers for your own? The one you mentioned in the initial post? What Legend are they, and what Purviews / Epics are they using already? With some more specific ideas of what you are trying to work with, the forums might be able to be of more help letting. Though, of course, your Storyteller as always has last say on any material to be used at their table.
                          Last edited by Watcher; 07-25-2017, 07:54 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Sorry for the slow response, I've been brainstorming and had so many ideas. Yes this character is one of mine. They are Legend 9, have the Emotion, Fertility, Health, Mystery, and Moon Purviews, and are using Epic Stamina and Dexterity. She is the daughter of An Morrigan and is part Seelie Sidhe. (She is also a changeling fostered by a mortal family in order to give her a human education). She desires to become the Irish Goddess of Rebirth.
                            Last edited by Manannansun; 07-30-2017, 02:37 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              What about a Parthenogenesis Knack? Something for generating Scions without a partner?


                              "A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X