Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Òrìshà Preview!

They are Òrìshawesome https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01...luQkhrZ3c/view

Every time I read one of these Previews I can feel all the work and energy they've put into researching these traditions, then assembling them into something fun to play.
    Also, I think that's a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reference in the Followers/Creatures. I hesitate to say it, but I don't think it can possibly be anything else.

But sexually.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis View Post
      Every time I read one of these Previews I can feel all the work and energy they've put into researching these traditions, then assembling them into something fun to play.
      Also, I think that's a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reference in the Followers/Creatures. I hesitate to say it, but I don't think it can possibly be anything else.
      On that note, I'm fairly sure Òshun is Beyoncé.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

I confess to knowing somewhere between Fuck and All about the Orisha, but I liked a lot of what I saw here. It's a pretty neat group of gathered divine beings. I especially liked Ogun, Oshun, Oya, and Moremi.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how these gods overlap with the Loa. Is Papa Legba a different God from Eshu Elegba, or a different cross-pantheons mantle? What about Kalfu, the Petwo counterpart to Rada Papa Legba, who captures the devil at the cross rods aspects of Eshu Elegba?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

The thing that I like about these Previews, is that not only do they showcase the wide variety of viewpoints that each path has, but do so in a way that is both enjoyable to understand, and fascinating to use in actual play. It can be all too easy to be overly academic or pompous when trying to provide new information, and I like how much better this does it than most.
            Last edited by Ostarion; 07-15-2017, 02:55 AM.

How can I know if what I claim I know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I might not know? How can I know if what I claim I don't know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I do know?
            -Zhuangzi

Comment

Okay, might I ever so mutedly protest this line?

“First they came for the Titans, and I did not speak out ….”
              For while I greatly appreciate the SJ-angle given to the Orisha, what with my whole German war-guilt-thing, I still think drawing parallels between our funny little Fantasy games and the real, actual Holocaust/Shoah is ... not good. Now the quote this line is drawn from is (luckily) from a German Lutheran pastor, not a Jewish person, but I still think the comparison is extremely inappropriate. Maybe it's different on the other side of the Atlantic, but where I come from, such allusions are touchy at best, and the source of nation-wide scandal at worst. The original author of that line, Pastor Martin Niemöller, repeated it many times in the many speeches he gave as Holocaust survivor, swapping around all the people he had not spoken out for, the communists, the labour unions, the Catholics, the Jews, and obviously the touchiness differs between these categories, but in general, I don't find it entirely tasteful to equate any of the victims of the Holocaust/Shoah, the largest-scale genocide in history, with the likes of Apep and Fenrir, and comparing Zeus and Vishnu to Hitler, Himmler, and Goebbels. I can't tell anyone in Dev or otherwise what to do, but I can stress that I would sleep a lot tighter if lines like this one were avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by Sacerdos View Post
                Okay, might I ever so mutedly protest this line?

For while I greatly appreciate the SJ-angle given to the Orisha, what with my whole German war-guilt-thing, I still think drawing parallels between our funny little Fantasy games and the real, actual Holocaust/Shoah is ... not good. Now the quote this line is drawn from is (luckily) from a German Lutheran pastor, not a Jewish person, but I still think the comparison is extremely inappropriate. Maybe it's different on the other side of the Atlantic, but where I come from, such allusions are touchy at best, and the source of nation-wide scandal at worst. The original author of that line, Pastor Martin Niemöller, repeated it many times in the many speeches he gave as Holocaust survivor, swapping around all the people he had not spoken out for, the communists, the labour unions, the Catholics, the Jews, and obviously the touchiness differs between these categories, but in general, I don't find it entirely tasteful to equate any of the victims of the Holocaust/Shoah, the largest-scale genocide in history, with the likes of Apep and Fenrir, and comparing Zeus and Vishnu to Hitler, Himmler, and Goebbels. I can't tell anyone in Dev or otherwise what to do, but I can stress that I would sleep a lot tighter if lines like this one were avoided.
                Seconding this very firmly.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Seconding this very firmly.
                  Oh phew, I thought for a second it might have just been me and wasn't sure if I should mention it

Edit: I mean, I could see the same sentiment of the "What IS the big difference between a Titan and God? Are they really that different from us? Do they truly deserve our scorn?" without pulling that reference out.
                  Last edited by Kyman201; 07-15-2017, 03:52 AM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Yeah, I think Orisha would be clever enough not to break Godwin's Law.

Comment

I do like they finally discuss Olodumare, I brought up his absence in first ed and changed the whole pantheon to just ignore it. This version seems a step in the right direction. So are we going to get the Loa Orisha as a double spread pantheon? Or are they expanding into the loa later?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Wait their weakness is oppression? What was the other pantheon's weakness, I don't remember. But I'm hesitant to have being a victim and being oppressed as universally defining to my character if I am one of the Orisha, I mean what about playing back on the continent, or better yet hundreds of years ago back on the continent?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                          I do like they finally discuss Olodumare, I brought up his absence in first ed and changed the whole pantheon to just ignore it. This version seems a step in the right direction. So are we going to get the Loa Orisha as a double spread pantheon? Or are they expanding into the loa later?
                          Later, in the Companion.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

I think the preview is great, for the most part.

​I do agree that the Godwin's Law issue seems a bit tone-deaf, and I agree with Eldagusto that "oppression" seems like a pretty poor weakness for the Orishas to have. But other than that, this is definitely a very interesting Pantheon and I like a lot of the stuff I'm seeing so far.

This Pantheon can be called many things. "Boring" is definitely not one of them!

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                            Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                              Wait their weakness is oppression? What was the other pantheon's weakness, I don't remember. But I'm hesitant to have being a victim and being oppressed as universally defining to my character if I am one of the Orisha, I mean what about playing back on the continent, or better yet hundreds of years ago back on the continent?
                              That's true. A weakness should be something endemic to the pantheon itself, not something often suffered by its followers.

Maybe "lack of war footing" could be pointed out as just as much a weakness as a strength when it comes to divine opposition-the Orisha have many virtues when it comes to universal acceptance, but sometimes a Titan (almost, if you ask them) deserves the moniker. They don't know how to act when the actual divine patron cannot be negotiated with-not because they don't think it can happen, but because they're adapted to human-scale threats. If Balor decided he wanted to make Nigeria his base for the counter-invasion of Ireland-well, they'd be inclined to let him have a small portion if their followers are willing to share their land and he helps them in return, he was there first. But if he doesn't think his parcel is large enough or cheats the deal, the Orishas would be a bit lost in how to keep him to his word.
                              Last edited by Leliel; 07-15-2017, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X