Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do the various pantheons influence modern politics?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do the various pantheons influence modern politics?

I was curious as to how the various pantheons influence modern politics. How exactly would they manipulate the political system in ares where they have interest? Is it subtle like through dreams or omens? Or do they get directly involved using their incarnations? Or would they influence the system through cult members, allied legendary creatures, or by way of the the inspiring bar meeting?

In 1E, where they retreated from the mortal world, I would think they act in secret.

But in 2E, where the gods remained with us, it's hard to say how they might act. In fact, it's hard to say if the political system as it is today would even still exist in 2E, since many of the political changes that have occurred over the last several thousand years blatantly oppose the philosophies and traditions of the old pantheons. Mythology tells us that when mortals collectively decide to reject the gods, their city gets blown up, drowned, infested with disease, or any other variety of magical WMD's.

Zeus, for example, probably wouldn't care about women's rights. Hell, he doesn't even respect actual goddesses, so the idea of him respecting a mortal woman is flat out absurd.

And nobody can sit there and tell me that the gods would change with the times like mortals do, because A) Most of the gods consider mortals to be beneath them, and B) they can hold grudges against those who wronged them for thousands of years.

The Gods do not simply let things go...
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 08-02-2017, 11:27 AM.

Comment

We've had eight page long derails about whether or not the gods can change with the times or not. I'd prefer to not go through that again.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
        We've had eight page long derails about whether or not the gods can change with the times or not. I'd prefer to not go through that again.

Oh, right. Which topic was that one, again?

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Oh, right. Which topic was that one, again?
          I don't recall, but it had a lot of shoddy arguments for dragging oppression onto the center stage of the game and it made a pretty dear friend of mine quit the forum.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

nothing said thus far about the World indicates that anything said thus far in this thread is remotely true. I would be careful about drawing conclusions like that.

I think I would try to critically examine what's been said about the World thus far and think about it in terms of genre. It does not sound like, by default, the World is so different from ours. In fact, it sounds fairly similar.

So given that, you might ask yourself "why have they not really meddled in politics?" And you can come up with a few potential answers:

1. They don't care. I'm sure this actually covers the attitudes of many Gods, they don't really care about the structure of human government. They have other things to care about.

2. They prevent one another from meddling. There are multiple Pantheons with various visions of the world. It might be agreed upon that they don't get involved in unimportant things, because they'd rather not start an arms race based on who can meddle the most. I'm skeptical of this idea on the whole, but could imagine it to be partly true.

3. They have interfered, and the results are largely the same. Maybe power plants are bigger than they would be in our world because Hestia pushed legislation to ensure her cult would always get shrines in them, that sort of thing. This is a fun world-building opportunity, but it's worth thinking carefully about what gets added, rather than assuming they run roughshod over things.

In my opinion, I could imagine the 'truth' in the World is some combination of these three things.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
              nothing said thus far about the World indicates that anything said thus far in this thread is remotely true. I would be careful about drawing conclusions like that.

I think I would try to critically examine what's been said about the World thus far and think about it in terms of genre. It does not sound like, by default, the World is so different from ours. In fact, it sounds fairly similar.

So given that, you might ask yourself "why have they not really meddled in politics?" And you can come up with a few potential answers:

1. They don't care. I'm sure this actually covers the attitudes of many Gods, they don't really care about the structure of human government. They have other things to care about.

2. They prevent one another from meddling. There are multiple Pantheons with various visions of the world. It might be agreed upon that they don't get involved in unimportant things, because they'd rather not start an arms race based on who can meddle the most. I'm skeptical of this idea on the whole, but could imagine it to be partly true.

3. They have interfered, and the results are largely the same. Maybe power plants are bigger than they would be in our world because Hestia pushed legislation to ensure her cult would always get shrines in them, that sort of thing. This is a fun world-building opportunity, but it's worth thinking carefully about what gets added, rather than assuming they run roughshod over things.

In my opinion, I could imagine the 'truth' in the World is some combination of these three things.

Given the level of how popular home brewing content is and the use of shard settings, I suppose it ultimately falls to the ST to decide how the World works.

Personally, I think that while change is possible, it would most likely come from the Scions, rather than the old world pantheons. There are many stories in mythology that involve children overthrowing their tyrannical parents and establishing their own rule. And a story that focuses on the Scion players rising up to replace key members of their pantheon has potential to be a great story with an epic climax if done correctly.

In 1E, one of the pre-made Scions tried to flaunt the expectations of Olympus by wearing modern day clothing and abiding by modern day behavior, and the book made it clear that he was not very popular because of it. To my knowledge, he wasn't outright punished for his actions, but he wasn't respected for them, either. In fact, the old gods openly mocked him about it.
              Last edited by Nyrufa; 08-02-2017, 01:40 PM.

Comment

In 1E, one of the pre-made Scions tried to flaunt the expectations of Olympus by wearing modern day clothing and abiding by modern day behavior, and the book made it clear that he was not very popular because of it. To my knowledge, he wasn't outright punished for his actions, but he wasn't respected for them, either. In fact, the old gods openly mocked him about it.
                ​Actually it was the other way around. Donnie started wearing modern clothes on Olympus and started something of a fad for other Greek Scions to follow his lead. The books say that Greek Scions who insisted on wearing traditional Greek clothing were mocked and derided by Donnie and his clique as being a bunch of "suck-ups." Donnie may have taken some heat from the Theoi themselves for a bit, but it didn't seem like it was a big deal with them.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Whether and how the gods adapt to the modern World is a legitimate topic for discussion on the forums.

There's not one single answer, and there won't be. The gods are all different people, as you'll see in the books. Most of them at least have to cope with it to some degree. Some gods are going to wish mortals would just go back to doing things the traditional way, with homespun clothing and tending their own flocks. Others are going to go "holy shit, The Walking Dead is the best thing I've ever seen."

Rose Bailey
                  Onyx Path Development Producer
                  Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post

​Actually it was the other way around. Donnie started wearing modern clothes on Olympus and started something of a fad for other Greek Scions to follow his lead. The books say that Greek Scions who insisted on wearing traditional Greek clothing were mocked and derided by Donnie and his clique as being a bunch of "suck-ups." Donnie may have taken some heat from the Theoi themselves for a bit, but it didn't seem like it was a big deal with them.

That's not in the version of Scion: God that I've read. I'm looking at his character write up right now and it says that because Donnie tried to shun the old traditions, he lost the public's respect and was delegated to a mere errand boy after becoming a god, and the old gods know that he hates his divine name (Adonis Rhodos) but they continue to use it frequently in his presence just to annoy him. Lastly, they pretty much interact with him only to belittle him and give him new orders, but otherwise ignore his presence.

So yeah, doesn't sound like modern day, pop culture Donnie Rhodes is very well liked by his pantheon.
                    Last edited by Nyrufa; 09-17-2017, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Honestly, given the fact that ancient Gods having direct influence, or even being widely worshipped, in the modern World would completely change the World's history, culture, dominating philosophies, scientific development, and yes, politics to the point of being likely unrecognizable to our own, I'd go with 1E Scion's canon and assume that Gods and magic haven't been around in the World for millennia.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirdboyz View Post
                        Honestly, given the fact that ancient Gods having direct influence, or even being widely worshipped, in the modern World would completely change the World's history, culture, dominating philosophies, scientific development, and yes, politics to the point of being likely unrecognizable to our own, I'd go with 1E Scion's canon and assume that Gods and magic haven't been around in the World for millennia.
                        Good thing the 1e setting is supposed to be a Shard in the Companion, if I remember right.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

That's not in the version of Scion: God that I've read. I'm looking at his character write up right now and it says that because Donnie tried to shun the old traditions, he lost the public's respect and was delegated to a mere errand boy after becoming a god, and the old gods know that he hates his divine name (Adonis Rhodos) but they they continue to use it frequently in his presence just to annoy him. Lastly, they pretty much interact with him only to give belittle him and give him new orders, but otherwise ignore his presence.

So yeah, doesn't sound like modern day, pop culture Donnie Rhodes is very well liked by his pantheon.
                          ​Hm. Maybe there's a discrepancy between his character write-up and the chapter fic detailing the Olympian's defense against Terra? I could've sworn I read about him starting a modernist fad somewhere?

​Eh. I haven't been able to read through God in quite a while. I could be wrong.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                          Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by Weirdboyz View Post
                            That's what I'm trying to say. Mythology is filled with story of mortals trying to crawl out from under the tyrannical world views of the gods, and the gods respond by obliterating their society, or threatening to do so if they don't get back in line. The last time I checked into 2nd edition previews, the old pantheons didn't retreat from the World and have remained public throughout history.

So if we want to remain truthful to mythology, we should assume that modern society is dramatically different from the world we know today.

Of course, this is ultimately up to the ST, and if they want to sugar coat the old pantheons to be more child friendly, that's their call. As for me, personally? I bought Scion 1E because it didn't try to pull that crap.

Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post

​Hm. Maybe there's a discrepancy between his character write-up and the chapter fic detailing the Olympian's defense against Terra? I could've sworn I read about him starting a modernist fad somewhere?

​Eh. I haven't been able to read through God in quite a while. I could be wrong.

It mentions him trying to speak with his mother (Aphrodite) in private about his mortal father having passed away, but she's too busy cheating on Hephaestus (with Ares) to give a crap. So after delivering the news, he storms off to resume his previous duties. During the trip up Olympus, Donnie is flirted with by servants of the gods, such as Amazons and Nymphs, but the actual gods themselves treat him like shit. Ares doesn't even try to hide the fact that he's doing his mother and practically tells him to say what he came there for so he can get back to it.
                            Last edited by Nyrufa; 08-02-2017, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Remember when I said this thread shouldn't be a repeat of the other? Let's stick to that.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Working...
                              X