Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kickstarter Update! Chargen and Revised Netjer!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstarter Update! Chargen and Revised Netjer!!!

I'm getting ready to go to work right now, but I definitely wanted to get the conversation started on this Update.

​The Chargen stuff looks nice and straightforward at first glance. I really like the collaborative nature of Deeds. I just love imagining my group sitting around our table, tossing ideas back and forth about how our respective Deeds and goals can mix together into serving the ST's story more completely.

​The Netjer? A vast improvement over the first draft! I love just about all the changes. I'm so glad to see Aset is back to being a solo act, because she really deserves it in my book. Het-Heru is very cool too. The Netjer are officially back on "Favorite Pantheon" list. Really great stuff.

​Here's the Chargen link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01...pYNm52OUU/view

And the Netjer:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...VFpfb1V8s/edit

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Salivating over the deeds to distract myself from the fact that the Calling section isn't part of the preview. ;_;

It's very interesting that Knacks can be purchased for 2XP though. I would have thought they'd be more expensive to get than skills.

And have Approaches been mentioned before?

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
    [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
    [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Deeds and Aspirations are the same thing right? Am I the only one who finds that it would be better if they stuck to one consistently for readability's sake? That aside, I find it interesting that Callings are a part of Origins... I always thought they were something that Scions got post Visitation like Purviews and would be a part of Hero... then again, there are apparently Mortal and Immortal Knacks for Callings, so maybe Visitation is only needed for the latter... also since Origins allows non Scion characters, this does seem to imply that mortals have Callings as well... either way it just made Origins level play more interesting for me

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post
        Salivating over the deeds to distract myself from the fact that the Calling section isn't part of the preview. ;_;

It's very interesting that Knacks can be purchased for 2XP though. I would have thought they'd be more expensive to get than skills.

And have Approaches been mentioned before?

Well, at 2 experience, it's going to take an average of about 1 - 2 sessions per knack you want to buy. So it seems like a steady increase, to me.

Comment

The deeds are neat... The ability to shuffle your points around between sessions is neat...

Wait. *Scrolls back up*

... SCION DOESN'T HAVE SCALING EXPERIENCE COSTS! Getting your fifth dot of Strength/Might costs the same as getting your second! WOOOOOO!

Alright, time to sink my teeth into the Netjer. While I'm not a scholar... I have to say I see a LOT of potential in these write-ups.

Also, one of my friends noted that he likes the image of Set being a sitcom Overprotective Dad of a rebellious daughter, and the image makes me laugh endlessly.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
            Also, one of my friends noted that he likes the image of Set being a sitcom Overprotective Dad of a rebellious daughter, and the image makes me laugh endlessly.
            Looks at my group

This is good and you should all feel good because this is going to cause so much fun

Comment

Originally posted by Alpharius View Post
              This is good and you should all feel good because this is going to cause so much fun
              I have some of the best players a ST could ask for, seriously. Mostly they go for "Character idea --> Figure out how to build this mechanically" rather than "Oh this class/build looks sweet, I'll figure out a personality later"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra View Post
                Deeds and Aspirations are the same thing right? Am I the only one who finds that it would be better if they stuck to one consistently for readability's sake?
                As near as I can tell, yes. They probably have to change some terminology because OPP is only licensing Chronicles of Darkness while they out-right own the Scion IP. But, than again, they were the ones who did the new editions that use Aspirations so I really don't have an answer....

... SCION DOESN'T HAVE SCALING EXPERIENCE COSTS! Getting your fifth dot of Strength/Might costs the same as getting your second! WOOOOOO!
                OPP did the same thing to New World of Darkness when they did the God-Machine/Chronicles of Darkness switch. My group was very happy, too.

I have some of the best players a ST could ask for, seriously. Mostly they go for "Character idea --> Figure out how to build this mechanically" rather than "Oh this class/build looks sweet, I'll figure out a personality later"
                I'm fortunate in this way, too. We tried a game of 5e D&D as a break one time when not everyone was available and it felt so dumbed-down and flat (and I find 5e an excellent edition compared to some earlier ones).

"The Man and the Beast are having an amiable picnic in that Savage’s head. It’s rather disturbing." - Blood and Smoke: the Strix Chronicle, pg. 22

Member of the Circle of Five Gaming Group

Comment

Originally posted by JSM3050 View Post
                  I'm fortunate in this way, too. We tried a game of 5e D&D as a break one time when not everyone was available and it felt so dumbed-down and flat (and I find 5e an excellent edition compared to some earlier ones).
                  I admit that I haven't actually PLAYED 5E, but I'd like to, and I can see a lot of concepts I have working without much adjustment.

Like, Tiefling Paladin with the Acolyte Background to get my idea of a Tiefling raised in a temple who tries to be as righteous and just as possible to make up for the inherit disadvantage of being a freaking tiefling and thus touched by demons.

Comment

Very happy Ma'at is a Primordial. She's a principle the Netjer uphold, not a mythically active actor. At my own table the Netjer are lead officially by the triple crowns of Re in the Overworld, Heru in the World, and Wesir in the Underworld. Unofficially though, Aset is the power behind all three thrones since she possesses Re's name, reanimated Wesir, and has Heru's devotion.... much to Sutekh's frustrated rage.
                    Last edited by glamourweaver; 08-03-2017, 10:56 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                      She's a principle the Netjer uphold, not a mythically active actor.
                      Going by what I just read, she'd kind of both.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpharius View Post

Going by what I just read, she'd kind of both.

She's a being and can manifest as a person, but she's far more abstract than gods in general and doesn't take an active role in Egyptian Myth I'm aware of. So Primordial is the right call IMO.

I'm surprised Isfet is a Titan and not another Primordial, as Ma'at's opposite. Apep is chaos embodied (i.e. a Titan), Isfet is the abstract concept only occasionally personified.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Maybe Titan can encompass god and primordial scale entities within its umbrella term, representing their domination by their purviews even if they're a living landform rather than just a giant that is also on fire?

Comment

I like the Netjer, esp the treatment of the Bast, Bastet, Heru, Sekmet connectiont.

Under Wesir's description about Nut and Geb's children I think it would make things more clear to list them: Wesir, Set, Aset, and Nephthys. Even though Nephthys isn't getting a write up here, putting relations in context helps.

I am also concerned about Wadjet being listed as a follower. Wadjet and Nekbet are both associated with the Eye of Re as protectors but also goddesses in thier own right. What kind of being is Wadjet in Scion?
                            Last edited by Elroar; 08-04-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Okay Duat sounds horrible, given other Pantheons have better afterlives, less judgemental after lives, why would anyone choose to worship the Netjer over say the Irish Pantheon, especially if they haven't lived the life of a saint?

Given they are competing for worshippers, you'd think they'd make it easier to get into paradise.

Comment

Working...
                              X