Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kickstarter Update! Chargen and Revised Netjer!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I will fully admit that I personally will continue to use the Greek and/or Latin names for the Egyptian gods (mostly because they are ingrained into my mind at this point), I still appreciate the attempt to use the closest thing we can get to their original names. Overall, I love the changes, and while there are some things I personally would change, I think its a massive improvement and I appreciate them listening to everyone's concerns and making some alterations. Still though, come on now! Nephthys needs some love!

Comment

Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post

In regards to the Norse, I've actually read from some sources that while Hel primarily punished the unworthy dead there was another aspect of her duties that including "Supplying the dead with lodgings and belongings". It seems that, while Nefilhem was not a fun place and Hel was not a particularly nice lady, most people that didn't die a glorious death fell into more, servant roles with the torment being reserved for things like kinslayers.

Granted I am not sure of how accurate that source is and it's been awhile since I've read it.
      I'll also point out that women who died in child birth also went to the Norse Paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

That's not how most ancient worship works. Winning worship by promising better afterlives was a small mystery cult thing until Christianity took it mainstream.
        That explains, ancient Times but now it competes directly with Christianity, were all you need to do is ask for forgiveness and your good to avoid the bad place.

And yes some of the other religions have dark sides in the afterlife, but many don't like the Yoruba or the Danaan.

Most religions modernize and I just don't see the Netjer not updating its afterlife to be more competive.

And the whole Bast/Bastet/Sekmet thing is confusing, I'll have to reread it.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

That explains, ancient Times but now it competes directly with Christianity, were all you need to do is ask for forgiveness and your good to avoid the bad place.
          "Psh, how great can the Christian Heaven be if they let in any jackass that says 'I killed a person, my bad!'?"

(To be clear, that snarky quip does not reflect my personal beliefs, I was being snarky for demonstration's sake)

To be a bit more serious... The Nejter afterlife doesn't sound too much worse than the Christian afterlife. You die and then wait in line to be judged based on your sins and virtues in life. One has someone look up a big record of your life, the other weighs your heart against a magic feather.

Then depending, either you're in and you go to the nice afterlife, or you're not and you're SOL. And honestly, are the wastes of Duat that much worse than the Christian fire and brimstone Hell?

Besides, I don't know if many religious people shop around for religions based solely on perks. There could be any number of reasons in The World for following one religion besides "Well I can sin my ass off and if I confess I'm gold"

For Example: The worshipper grew up hearing the stories of the Nejter and felt a kinship to them; they could just have learned about them in a religion class in high school and thought that Sehkmet is pretty boss, so they'll see if there's a temple to her in town; Perhaps a Scion of Anubis personally made sure that their grandfather's soul made it through Dust safely, and now this person honors the Nejter out of gratitude.
          Last edited by Kyman201; 08-06-2017, 01:13 PM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

"Psh, how great can the Christian Heaven be if they let in any jackass that says 'I killed a person, my bad!'?"

(To be clear, that snarky quip does not reflect my personal beliefs, I was being snarky for demonstration's sake)

To be a bit more serious... The Nejter afterlife doesn't sound too much worse than the Christian afterlife. You die and then wait in line to be judged based on your sins and virtues in life. One has someone look up a big record of your life, the other weighs your heart against a magic feather.

Then depending, either you're in and you go to the nice afterlife, or you're not and you're SOL. And honestly, are the wastes of Duat that much worse than the Christian fire and brimstone Hell?

Besides, I don't know if many religious people shop around for religions based solely on perks. There could be any number of reasons in The World for following one religion besides "Well I can sin my ass off and if I confess I'm gold"

For Example: The worshipper grew up hearing the stories of the Nejter and felt a kinship to them; they could just have learned about them in a religion class in high school and thought that Sehkmet is pretty boss, so they'll see if there's a temple to her in town; Perhaps a Scion of Anubis personally made sure that their grandfather's soul made it through Dust safely, and now this person honors the Nejter out of gratitude.
            From what I remember, the Duat can be pretty trippy as you're heading in, but once you're judged worthy, it's a pretty decent place, resembling a ghostly version of the real world without the downsides.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

Sure if you're willing to assume the promise Christianity is offering exists. But that's putting the cart before the horse. If you have other beliefs instead you're going to focus on the hard work to get into A'aru, rather than assume this easier path to salvation is real.

I mean, yeah, Christianity being largely unique at the time with its open promise of paradise contributed massively to its spread, and that can still have happened in the World. Christianity is still the majority faith in the western World. But I don't find it harder to fathom some Kemetics not converting based on its promises than Jews who refused to convert for Christianity's promises, instead upholding the heavier legal traditions of their ancestor with hope for a beneficial eventual resurrection, but with a pretty bleak afterlife in the meantime (Sheol).
              Last edited by glamourweaver; 08-08-2017, 12:15 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

If you become a christian just so you can sin as much as you want and plan to "repent" on your deathbed its not going to work. Repentance has to be legitimate not gaming the system. If you want to game the system its the Celestial Bureaucracy all the way.

Comment

There are plenty of non Christians in the real world who follow other religions for one reason or the other... There's no reason the World is any different in that regard. Not everybody in the world automatically jumps to the easiest path... Speaking of, I'm no Christian theologian, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the repentance have to be genuine? Feeling actual repentance for sin is hardly the easy way out.

Also, seriously... The afterlife where a bunch of fairly nice gods judge your deeds and reward or punish you accordingly with paradise or simple oblivion is not remotely the worst afterlife out there

Comment

Honestly, if paradise or non-existence are the options rather than paradise or eternal suffering, the Egyptian afterlife is the one I'd prefer greatly.

Comment

And the whole Bast/Bastet/Sekmet thing is confusing, I'll have to reread it.
                      Ancient Egyptian gods are confusing. Neall's trying to account for how Bast was a lion headed goddess indistinguishable from Sekhmet except in name (Bast was in lower egypt, Sekhmet was in upper egypt), until later there was a kitty guardian goddess associated with perfume, around the same time the additional feminine suffex was added, so that's Bastet.

My own inclination would be to have Bast/et be primarily the guardian cat goddess, and then the Sekhmet mantle she shares with Het-Heru is the war goddess with all those traits that were identical between Bast and Sekhmet. But that's just my table.

Comment

Also, the writeup of Set made me imagine a Scion of Set talking about how Set is the most effective guardian of Re's barge, how Set has chased off and driven back Apep more than any other Netjer, and how he once cut the World from Apep's belly. And then...

Tuatha Scion: ... Um, didn't Set kill Osiris, cut him to pieces, and put out one of Horus's eyes?

Set Scion: Okay first of all, they prefer the names Wesir and Heru, respectively. Secondly, well, my roommate never does the dishes. Nobody's perfect.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

The view of Set is one of the big divides between the two largest Kemetic religions I'm imagining using at my own table. The Cult of Isis is the most widespread Kemetic faith, focuses of the resurrection of Osiris (uses the Ptolemaic names obviously), the promise of a more benevolent afterlife, and presents Set as pretty much the devil. The Cult of Re is the largest Kemetic faith and unlike the Cult of Isis it is concentrated in Egypt (tying roughly in numbers with Christianity for second largest religion in the country after Islam), and focuses faith on Re's nightly struggle against Apep and the balance of Ma'at and Ifset. To the Cult of Re, Sutekh is a champion over Ifset and protector of Re.

Comment

Just thinking, Khonsu is another good candidate for a Titan. He's the direct offspring of Amun (a Primordial) who is directly evoked in the Cannibal Hymn to hunt and consume other gods. Assuming he's the "Moon" Djehuty gambles with to win days, that also places him as someone the Netjer had to best to control.

So with Khonsu, you have a Moon Titan, a Sun Titan (Aten), and a primordial chaos Titan (Apep)

[still inclined to count Ifset herself as a Primordial opposite number to Ma'at rather than a Titan]

Comment

I'm back! In brief: the Netjer rewrite is vastly improved, with special mention going out to how perfectly whoever wrote this got my beloved Het-Heru! My gripes are incredibly minor; Uesir letting the dead out of Duat feels a little odd to me, Wepawet is a wolf hunting deity who is Anpu's son rather than another name for him, and I'm not sure why Djehuti got saddled with his Greek name. Super excited happy to see how well this was done.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I agree that Wepawet should be separated from Anpu so that he could possibly be included later on.

Comment

Working...
                                X