Playing Scion with non-Scion Systems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Scion with non-Scion Systems

A campaign I'm playing in will be wrapping up soon, and as is this group's tradition, someone else will be taking over as GM. Namely, me. My original intention was to run Scion 2E, but unless a backer PDF releases tomorrow, there won't be time for everyone to learn a new system before play will start.

So, since 2E is off the table, but I've been prepping Scion storylines, I need to select a system that can work for a modern mythology game where the characters are all the children of gods/goddesses. Scion 1E has enough issues that I'm reluctant to go to that. I've been looking at Fate variants, but few of them seem to have enough moving pieces to satisfy a relatively mechanically savvy group.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a system that would be suitable to play Scion, that isn't based off of the Scion rules?

You mentioned Fate. Have you looked at the Superhero ruleset, Venture City?

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

City of Mist is a PbtA game about mythic superheroes that would be very easy to reskin as Scion.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
        You mentioned Fate. Have you looked at the Superhero ruleset, Venture City?
        I have not, thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at it.

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
        City of Mist is a PbtA game about mythic superheroes that would be very easy to reskin as Scion.
        Hmm, looks like the full version isn't yet available, but the starter set is free. I'll need to see if that's enough to actually run it - I'm not great at "winging" system rules.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions! (Still open to more though - more options is always better)

Comment

Originally posted by HighPriest View Post

I have not, thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at it.

Hmm, looks like the full version isn't yet available, but the starter set is free. I'll need to see if that's enough to actually run it - I'm not great at "winging" system rules.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions! (Still open to more though - more options is always better)
          Yeah, the full book isn't out yet, but the Starter set is free and custom characters are as simple as coming up with a Theme and associated Tags. Especially if you're familiar with how FATE works, it's essentially just using Aspects as stats.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

There's the Cypher System. They even have a game setting featuring characters that grow in divinity. It's called Gods of the Fall.

Comment

Originally posted by omenseer View Post
              There's the Cypher System. They even have a game setting featuring characters that grow in divinity. It's called Gods of the Fall.
              There are a few things I'm not fond of for in the Cypher System, namely how it handles experience and cyphers. That said, those are things I can houserule and I didn't consider using it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

This is a pretty blatantly scionesque game that uses Fate Core. I haven't dug too deep into it, but maybe it will help?

Comment

You're welcome.

There's also Part-Time Gods and it's Fate conversion from Third-Eye Games

Comment

Sorry for the delays!

Part-time Gods or Godbound by Sine Nomine would be my suggestion.

Neall Raemonn Price
                    Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Center-of-All View Post
                      This is a pretty blatantly scionesque game that uses Fate Core. I haven't dug too deep into it, but maybe it will help?
                      Thanks! Wasn't aware of that one at all. I'll definitely take a look - it doesn't look like a commercially available product, more like a homebrew?

You're welcome.

There's also Part-Time Gods and it's Fate conversion from Third-Eye Games
                      Thanks again! I'll take a look at these as well.

Originally posted by Neall View Post
                      Sorry for the delays!

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm actually already running a Godbound game (using the Exalted setting) and it would be a decent choice but I was hoping to have a chance to run something different.

For the record, I don't blame y'all or anything. I shouldn't have planned around a product that wasn't released.

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post
                        Sorry for the delays!

You can make it up to us with baked goods for all of us.

But for real, isn't it partly out of your hands at this point anyway? I see Origins is in Art Direction on the meeting notes, which means after that it goes into layout and I assume Hero then will go into art direction when it is cleared out. Both of those are different dudes in OPP so it comes when it comes. I kind of hope to see it by Halloween time just because I love holiday coincidences but it'll get here when it gets here.

Comment

Working...
                        X