Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Fan-made] Burmese Pantheon - the Nat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Fan-made] Burmese Pantheon - the Nat

    This was a pet project I did a few months back. I didn't get the time to finish the PSP honestly so this is just the roster of Legend 12 gods, their associations, their stories and attributes, possible Titanic antagonists and cosmology in its unfinished glory.

    The Nat can be run in two ways. As a pantheon of their own right or the sub-pantheon to the Deva, led by Indra (under his name as Thagyamin).

    Disclaimer: I have not proof-read this nor have I checked for proper usage of words. English isn't my first language either so you will find a lot of...interesting word choices.

    Link: here

  • #2
    Dammit, you've mentioned this more than once, haven't you? I don't have the time to look through all of it right now, but at a cursory glance already, it looks splendidly lovely! We have quite the collection on Burmese culture here in Munich, incidentally, and I've had the Nat on the list of pantheons for me and Watcher to do for a while, but I lacked the resources to actually do it. Seems you beat me to it, and well at that! I'll definitely get back to you when I read this tomorrow.

    Comment


    • #3
      I was hoping you'd post this! Having only had a chance to skim it briefly, I've got to say it looks great. I love how you included synopsies of major stories pertaining to most of the gods after their entries, as that serves as a good introduction to a mythology that's very obscure in my part of the world. I'll give more feedback after I have a chance to look over it in greater detail, but so far, it looks really good!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sacerdos View Post
        Dammit, you've mentioned this more than once, haven't you? I don't have the time to look through all of it right now, but at a cursory glance already, it looks splendidly lovely! We have quite the collection on Burmese culture here in Munich, incidentally, and I've had the Nat on the list of pantheons for me and Watcher to do for a while, but I lacked the resources to actually do it. Seems you beat me to it, and well at that! I'll definitely get back to you when I read this tomorrow.
        Yeah sources are mostly in Burmese even then there are A LOT of stories that I have not uncovered because it's an obscure subject in Myanmar,. Melford E. Spiro, Maung Htin Aung's works are the best places to start.This website also has commentaries on Maung Htin Aung's "Folk Elements in Burmese Buddhism" for a lot more information.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Svarogg View Post

          Yeah sources are mostly in Burmese even then there are A LOT of stories that I have not uncovered because it's an obscure subject in Myanmar,. Melford E. Spiro, Maung Htin Aung's works are the best places to start.This website also has commentaries on Maung Htin Aung's "Folk Elements in Burmese Buddhism" for a lot more information.
          Wow, thank you for that!

          Comment


          • #6
            Awesome to have this! Thanks!

            Comment


            • #7
              Do you see them as having the same PSP as the Deva (Samsara in 1E, Yoga in 2E)?


              Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                Do you see them as having the same PSP as the Deva (Samsara in 1E, Yoga in 2E)?

                If you were to run them as a subpantheon of the Deva, I might go with Samsara. The Nat are known for wandering and fooling around different forms throughout history (might be considered as the usage of the Avatara). But there isn't much about the theme of worldly illusion. The Nats are firmly held as physical entities that inhabit either nature, concepts or characteristics.

                My idea of a Nat purview would be related to their Fate, where everyone (at a certain point in apotheosis) undergoes death and is transformed and glorified as a deity and the steps Fate has taken as to bring that glorification.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I finally got a chance to sit down and read through them, and I've got to say I love the Nat! I like the way you included the various stories surrounding each deity in their entries. I think Nangkaraing Medaw is my favorite. She seems like a fiercer Het-Heru, though still having a kind, nurturing, side to her.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Good news! This pantheon will be getting a Scion 2e update! Here is a preview of some of the roster and their attributes! Descriptions about these deities will be added in the near future!

                    Thagyamin - The King of the 37 Upper and Lower Nat
                    Aliases: Sakra, Magha, Dewau
                    • Callings: Judge, Leader, Sage
                    • Purviews: Beasts (Elephant), Prosperity, Order, Sky, Water
                    Min Mahagiri - The Lord of the Great Mountain
                    Alias: Eain Saunt Nat
                    • Callings: Creator, Guardian, Leader
                    • Purviews: Epic Strength, Epic Stamina, Beauty, Earth, Forge, Fortune, Order
                    Popa Medaw - The Lady of the Popa Mountain
                    Alias: Me Wunna
                    • Callings: Guardian, Healer, Lover
                    • Purviews: Epic Dexterity, Beauty, Earth, Fertility, Wild
                    Nankaraing Medaw - The Lady of Bago
                    Alias: Bago Medaw
                    • Callings: Guardian, Healer, Sage
                    • Purviews: Epic Stamina, Beasts (Buffalo), Fertility, Health, Prosperity, Water
                    Myinbyushin - The Lord on the White Horse
                    Aliases: Ywadawshin, Shwe Sitthin, Boubougyi
                    • Callings: Guardian, Sage, Warrior
                    • Purviews: Beasts (Horse), Order, Prosperity, War
                    Amay Ye Yin - The Lady of Friendly Waters
                    Aliases: Saw Nan Mon, Yeyin Kadaw
                    • Callings: Liminal, Sage, Warrior
                    • Purviews: Beasts (Tiger, Snake), Fire, Fortune, Water, War

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I suppose it’s looking more now like they’d be connected to the Palas in 2E rather than directly to the Deva (though they’re also connected to the Palas).


                      Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Cool, glad to hear it. You seem to have added new members, too. Neat. Looking forward to it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Awesome! With Thagyamin being a distinct deity now and not just a mantle of Indra, I take it they're going to be more of an independent pantheon this time?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                            I suppose it’s looking more now like they’d be connected to the Palas in 2E rather than directly to the Deva (though they’re also connected to the Palas).
                            From what I've researched, they are more connected to the Deva than to the Palas since Hinduism had a foothold in ancient Burmese kingdoms before Buddhism arrived. The Deva and the Nat have a strained relationship though because Thagyamin, the head of the pantheon is married to what a Deva would consider as an Asura.

                            Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
                            Awesome! With Thagyamin being a distinct deity now and not just a mantle of Indra, I take it they're going to be more of an independent pantheon this time?
                            Yes! I have the Virtues in mind (Loyalty vs Defiance) and a Pantheon Specific Purview coming up.
                            Last edited by Svarogg; 07-31-2018, 11:17 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Svarogg View Post

                              From what I've researched, they are more connected to the Deva than to the Palas since Hinduism had a foothold in ancient Burmese kingdoms before Buddhism arrived. The Deva and the Nat have a strained relationship though because Thagyamin, the head of the pantheon is married to what a Deva would consider as an Asura.
                              Technically Indra is also married to a Titan I imagine he's a very 'do as I say, not as I do' kind of person. That said, I'm looking forward to the 2e version of the Nat.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X