[Fan-made] Burmese Pantheon - the Nat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fan-made] Burmese Pantheon - the Nat

This was a pet project I did a few months back. I didn't get the time to finish the PSP honestly so this is just the roster of Legend 12 gods, their associations, their stories and attributes, possible Titanic antagonists and cosmology in its unfinished glory.

The Nat can be run in two ways. As a pantheon of their own right or the sub-pantheon to the Deva, led by Indra (under his name as Thagyamin).

Disclaimer: I have not proof-read this nor have I checked for proper usage of words. English isn't my first language either so you will find a lot of...interesting word choices.

Link: here

Dammit, you've mentioned this more than once, haven't you? I don't have the time to look through all of it right now, but at a cursory glance already, it looks splendidly lovely! We have quite the collection on Burmese culture here in Munich, incidentally, and I've had the Nat on the list of pantheons for me and Watcher to do for a while, but I lacked the resources to actually do it. Seems you beat me to it, and well at that! I'll definitely get back to you when I read this tomorrow.

Comment

I was hoping you'd post this! Having only had a chance to skim it briefly, I've got to say it looks great. I love how you included synopsies of major stories pertaining to most of the gods after their entries, as that serves as a good introduction to a mythology that's very obscure in my part of the world. I'll give more feedback after I have a chance to look over it in greater detail, but so far, it looks really good!

Comment

Originally posted by Sacerdos View Post
        Dammit, you've mentioned this more than once, haven't you? I don't have the time to look through all of it right now, but at a cursory glance already, it looks splendidly lovely! We have quite the collection on Burmese culture here in Munich, incidentally, and I've had the Nat on the list of pantheons for me and Watcher to do for a while, but I lacked the resources to actually do it. Seems you beat me to it, and well at that! I'll definitely get back to you when I read this tomorrow.
        Yeah sources are mostly in Burmese even then there are A LOT of stories that I have not uncovered because it's an obscure subject in Myanmar,. Melford E. Spiro, Maung Htin Aung's works are the best places to start.This website also has commentaries on Maung Htin Aung's "Folk Elements in Burmese Buddhism" for a lot more information.

Comment

Originally posted by Svarogg View Post

Yeah sources are mostly in Burmese even then there are A LOT of stories that I have not uncovered because it's an obscure subject in Myanmar,. Melford E. Spiro, Maung Htin Aung's works are the best places to start.This website also has commentaries on Maung Htin Aung's "Folk Elements in Burmese Buddhism" for a lot more information.
          Wow, thank you for that!

Comment

Awesome to have this! Thanks!

Comment

Do you see them as having the same PSP as the Deva (Samsara in 1E, Yoga in 2E)?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                Do you see them as having the same PSP as the Deva (Samsara in 1E, Yoga in 2E)?

If you were to run them as a subpantheon of the Deva, I might go with Samsara. The Nat are known for wandering and fooling around different forms throughout history (might be considered as the usage of the Avatara). But there isn't much about the theme of worldly illusion. The Nats are firmly held as physical entities that inhabit either nature, concepts or characteristics.

My idea of a Nat purview would be related to their Fate, where everyone (at a certain point in apotheosis) undergoes death and is transformed and glorified as a deity and the steps Fate has taken as to bring that glorification.

Comment

Working...
                X