[Fan-made] Burmese Pantheon - the Nat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
    Awesome! Are they going to be added to the main PDF?
    Yup, they will be. It will be uploaded and updated soon!

On another note, if you have institutional access to certain journals, check out Possessed for Success: Prosperity Buddhism and the Cult of the Guardians of the Treasure Trove in Upper Burma by Niklas Foxeus on the newer worship of the 37 Nats. It also includes an anecdote of a parent discovering that their daughter was a daughter of Naga Medaw in her previous life.

Scion 2e Homebrew Pantheon(s):

The Nat, the Spirits of Myanmar

Comment

I'm back on this project, being busy and all. And the new PDF for the Nat is coming up with the two pantheon specific boons for anyone interested to use. I'm not very savvy when it comes to the mechanics of the game and it took me a while to brainstorm without mixing them up with actual boons in the books or other PSPs like Orisha and Kami. But anyways,

Power 1: Nat Pya <နတ်ပြ>
      Cost: Spend 1 Legend
      Duration: One session
      Subject: One character
      Range: Short
      Action: Simple

Pan Htwar, the Queen of Beikthano, beseeched Thagyamin to protect her city. In exchange for her request, Thagyamin gave her the Atula Drum. Beikthano would stand and remain under Thagyamin's vigilance until the drum becomes damaged. For a while, Pan Htwar defended her territory against aggressive hordes. That worked until spies sent by rival cities destroyed her drum and rendered her city powerless. Such is the terrible fate of those who withdraw from their side of the deal.

A Scion with this boon may spend one Legend to offer an object or a being to a Nat, whether it be a Nat of a car, a house, or a powerful Nat residing in a Sanctum. The target remains under the Nat's mindful gaze for a session. Any attempt to injure or damage the Target gains a Complication equal to the Scion's Legend Rating. In exchange for the favor, the Nat may impose a constraint or responsibility upon a Scion that must be observed until the effect fades. A tree Nat may ask a Scion to protect its shrine from going into disrepair, while Mahagiri may demand the Scion to denounce any uses of Forge or Fire purviews in an area.
      Last edited by Svarogg; 01-15-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

So, the Nat, the pantheon of Burma with their PSP, is out finally. I fleshed out everything and even revised the PSP and their Virtues. So, there are new Gods, Titans, Primordials, and Birthrights to dabble and play around with also if you don't have a Scion within the Burmese pantheon.

For the next project, I might focus on Satsana Phi, the traditional religion of the Tai speaking peoples (Lao, Thai, Shan, and Hkamti people in Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar) or the eclectic group of deities from the islands of the Philippines. I am not sure yet, and it will take a while.

Comment

Awesome! Any plans to put your work on the Nexus? Or planning on sticking with releasing it into the Wild this way?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Ooh, this is wonderful, thank you! Did you decide against including Manimekhala in the pantheon, or was her omission more one of space?

Comment

Manimekhala isn't specifically a Nat, she's a largely multi-cultural deity throughout Southeast Asia, which is why she has her own thread instead of being here.

This is excellent work Svarogg! I, of course, loved the previous drafts, but this is even better! Dividing the Nat by faction and describing each faction in detail was a really great idea.

As for the next project, I'd be happy to see either of those. The Tai pantheon is one I know absolutely nothing whatsoever about. I'm not honestly aware of a single deity, though I know "Phi" is a word for spirit-being and is in the name of a large class of mostly undead monsters. (Phi Krahang, Phi Krasue, etc.) So for that reason, I'd be happy to learn about them.

I also LOVE Philippine mythology. Mainly because of the colossal number of awesome and grotesque monsters present in it. I was hoping we'd get at least one pantheon from the archipelago down the road, and I assumed we'd probably end up with the Tagalog one (Diwatas, right?) at some point, though I'm also very interested in the Bicolano pantheon (Anitos, I'm pretty sure), as I really like the story of Gugurang and Asuang. Would you be approaching them all as a single pantheon or confederation of pantheons? I'd be happy for any excuse to put the players up against Aswangs, Tikbalangs, Kapres, Mantabungals, Batibats, Segbens, and on and on and on. That's a part of the world that has a ton of potential.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                Awesome! Any plans to put your work on the Nexus? Or planning on sticking with releasing it into the Wild this way?
                I am considering it. I'll polish it so that there's a bit of an introduction to the cultural region for those unfamiliar with the area.

Center-of-All As Wannabe Demon Lord already stated, she's a multicultural goddess but her primary worship is in Thailand and Cambodia. In Burma, she shows up once to demand Nankarine Medaw's head as a reward for helping the Mon kings defeat a giant. Then she just vanishes. Also, her role as a goddess of the sea is replaced by many other water deities in the pantheon.

Wannabe Demon Lord phi can mean ghosts, spirits or otherworldly beings. To the Tai, There isn't much differentiation between the word phi and thewada (which comes from the word, Deva in Sanskrit). An important phi in Laos (and Thailand) is Phi Fa, who doesn't seem to have a defined gender. It is known that they exist in the sky, come down to Earth when summoned by shamans to cure illnesses. You can watch a Phi Faa ritual here. There are others, like Nang Khosop, the rice spirit and Phra In, the Tai equivalent of Indra and Thagyamin.

As for the Philippines, it will be a massive confederation of pantheons if I come around to doing it. Anitos sound like a good place to start if I were to focus on a single pantheon.

Comment

Oh this is absolutely fantastic, I love the Nat! I can only echo everybody else's praise. This is a very evocative write-up and highlighting the many Nat clans makes them feel like a really vibrant pantheon that's perfect for intra-pantheon politics.

From a Scion perspective, the Nat exist in a really interesting space right between the two biggest pantheon powerhouses, the Deva and the Shén. I saw that in an earlier post you mentioned that the Nat could be run as an offshoot of the Deva. Is that still something you think is true? You go into this a bit, but I'm curious about how closely the two pantheons are related. And on that point: in the pantheon relationship section you mention that the Shén see the Nat as an offshoot of the Celestial Bureaucracy. I can definitely see how that fits the Shén's general attitude towards other pantheons, but is there any more specific cultural influence or a piece of history behind that idea, as well?

Oh, and on a minor note: shouldn't Naga Medaw have Beasts (Serpents)?

Personally, I would be very interested in a pantheon of Satsana Phi. From the little I know of them, the Phi sound really quite fascinating. I've also been slowly chipping away at a Viet pantheon for a while now, so I guess I have a soft spot for Southeast Asia and I hope it can become a much more crowded and interesting place in Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wopsle View Post
                    Oh this is absolutely fantastic, I love the Nat! I can only echo everybody else's praise. This is a very evocative write-up and highlighting the many Nat clans makes them feel like a really vibrant pantheon that's perfect for intra-pantheon politics.

From a Scion perspective, the Nat exist in a really interesting space right between the two biggest pantheon powerhouses, the Deva and the Shén. I saw that in an earlier post you mentioned that the Nat could be run as an offshoot of the Deva. Is that still something you think is true? You go into this a bit, but I'm curious about how closely the two pantheons are related. And on that point: in the pantheon relationship section you mention that the Shén see the Nat as an offshoot of the Celestial Bureaucracy. I can definitely see how that fits the Shén's general attitude towards other pantheons, but is there any more specific cultural influence or a piece of history behind that idea, as well?

Oh, and on a minor note: shouldn't Naga Medaw have Beasts (Serpents)?

Personally, I would be very interested in a pantheon of Satsana Phi. From the little I know of them, the Phi sound really quite fascinating. I've also been slowly chipping away at a Viet pantheon for a while now, so I guess I have a soft spot for Southeast Asia and I hope it can become a much more crowded and interesting place in Scion.
                    The Deva-Nat pantheon really does not hold up anymore now that the Palas are being introduced. The Deva still shares a connection with the Nat but I expanded my writeup on the second version so much that I don't think it's a feasible way to run them as a sub-pantheon.

The Shen, the Nat and the Phi are much closer to each other than to the Deva. The Burman people and the Tai people migrated southward from Yunnan around 700 CE to 1200 CE. So at one point, the Burman people split from the purview of the Celestial Bureaucracy and founded their own. The Nat and the people that worshiped them, if we ever knew about their predecessors, may have been at the periphery of the rising and falling kingdoms of China. The modern iterations of the Nat believe they have no ties to the Shen even if the other side insists on it.

And yes, the Naga Medaw should have Beasts (Serpent).

I have been able to expand on the phi through this entire commotion. Their major players are definitely smaller than the Nat, much more local than regional. They do have an extensive minor and localized phi and a huge collection of Scions. Southeast Asia definitely needs an expansion of its own. Maybe as I finish the Tai pantheon, we will see if I can make a scenario setting for the region.

Comment

Working...
                    X