Storypath System Preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storypath System Preview

The newest update for the Scion Kickstarter is out and it provides us with a look at the Storypath system! What are people’s impressions of the system as it is right now?
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...bk/mobilebasic

Overall i like it. The group momentum thing seems fun and helps with the cohesion of the group.
    But i have to say, i'm more the type to understand the rules by using them. I'm having a bit of a difficulty fully grasping the rules just reading them.

I would be curious to know which part is from the trinity breakthrough, but thats really just out of curiosity.

Comment

So the attribute cap is now going to be 3 with 4 and 5 dots reserved for favored approach linked attributes you put 2 or 3 in before picking it?

Comment

I like the look of it. Some nice clear guidelines for the different systems, and it looks pretty flexible overall. Time will tell though, especially once we see the rest of the bells and whistles. It seems kind of easy to stat enhancements up to that +3 limit though...

Comment

Minor hiccup: Academics describes your languages known as Academics+Reason, but I don’t see Reason anywhere?

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
            Minor hiccup: Academics describes your languages known as Academics+Reason, but I don’t see Reason anywhere?
            I believe Reason was the previous version of Intellect, the Mental Force Attribute.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Ok, so am I interpreting this correctly and instead of individually placing dots into our Attributes, our stats our determined by our rank in each Arena and our Favored Approach?

I don’t know if I like that. If I want to make the dumb bruiser character, I’m going to choose Force as my favored approach, which means I’m getting a boost to Strength (yay!) and Intellect (boo!). Why? What if I want to make a character who is charming and composed in social situations but who is honest and straightforward to a fault? Is there a way to have a high Presence and Composure with a low Manipulation? How does this system work with character advancement? Will we even be able to increase our starting Attributes at all?

No, unless we get some clarification on this system, I have to say I’m not a fan. You’re removing a lot of freedom and fine control from the players in making the character they want to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeldafan42 View Post
                Ok, so am I interpreting this correctly and instead of individually placing dots into our Attributes, our stats our determined by our rank in each Arena and our Favored Approach?

I don’t know if I like that. If I want to make the dumb bruiser character, I’m going to choose Force as my favored approach, which means I’m getting a boost to Strength (yay!) and Intellect (boo!). Why? What if I want to make a character who is charming and composed in social situations but who is honest and straightforward to a fault? Is there a way to have a high Presence and Composure with a low Manipulation? How does this system work with character advancement? Will we even be able to increase our starting Attributes at all?

No, unless we get some clarification on this system, I have to say I’m not a fan. You’re removing a lot of freedom and fine control from the players in making the character they want to make.
                It's somewhat unclear since the Advancement rules given with the Netjer Preview had you buying your Attributes up with EXP rather than Arenas.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

We got an advancement cost table in the July preview. So yeah you'll be able to increase them just fine, but your concern about choosing Force mandating being pretty smart is one I never even thought till just now

Comment

I'm at work right now and can't post a lot, but for now I have to say at first reading I am deeply confused and concerned by the function of Skill Specialties .

Comment

It’s interesting that Attributes cap out at 3 and skills cap out at 5, but I guess could be justified in that it’s easier to learn a skill than change a fundamental aspect of yourself. I do find it odd though that Demigods and Gods have the same target number when Gods should have an easier time making their influence known.

Comment

I'm not sure it's that bad. We haven't seen character creation and how Arena assignments work for PCs. The Arena/Approach simplification makes stating up NPCs a ton faster for when you're not worried about as much fine detail as players will want.

There's also Conditions to add back in some fine control for players. Manipulation isn't just the "being dishonest" trait. It's the Social Finesse trait. It's how well you use subtlety and tact, as well as playing with words. "Honest to a Fault" can be a Condition that gives you penalties on lying. That way you can have a decent Manipulation for truthful statements that need to be massaged into the conversation, but suck at actually lying.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGraySoul View Post
                          It’s interesting that Attributes cap out at 3 and skills cap out at 5, but I guess could be justified in that it’s easier to learn a skill than change a fundamental aspect of yourself. I do find it odd though that Demigods and Gods have the same target number when Gods should have an easier time making their influence known.
                          Not quite - Arenas cap at 3. Attributes, which are a composite of your Arena and your Approach, cap at 5 (3 from the Arena, +2 for Favored Approach).

That said, I'm not 100% sold on the Arena+Approach=Attribute bit. It's nice for a quick character, but I do feel like you lose some granularity like mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by Mockery View Post
                            I'm at work right now and can't post a lot, but for now I have to say at first reading I am deeply confused and concerned by the function of Skill Specialties .
                            If you fail in a roll in which you've got a specialty, you get extra Momentum.

Neall Raemonn Price
                            Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Zeldafan42 View Post

Dang, I completely overlooked that bit about arenas. That's a house rule if you're right. I kind of like the favored approach thing though. It's not perfect but I can see what the intent of it was, a direct person will probably be direct in all areas of their life, If you have the willpower to have a high resolve you'll likely be able to keep your cool with composure and push through pain with stamina. So it's more a personality indicator.

Comment

Working...
                              X