Godly Kryptonite?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
    What does a god without ties to the underworld do you think?

Amateratsu (Im experimenting wiith shinto IRL, christianity didnt give me the answers I needed) is guilty of QUITE A BIT. Her commands on purity, which drive me to Recycling, and Tending plants, can, and have been, interpreted as an excuse for murder on occasion.

Ehhhh, that might be a cultural thing. And I know virtually nothing in depth about Shintoism, so I'm not qualified to comment.

As for non underworld deities, there's quite a lot they could do to make things better, or worse for themselves.

A war deity, for example, might be tried for crimes against humanity. They've been instigating wars throughout history, cultivating the deaths of countless millions. On the other hand, they might be celebrated as a war hero by the cultures who venerate them.

A communal / artistic deity might get away with a mere slap on the wrist. Don't try to tell me they wouldn't, because even mortal celebrities receive light sentences for shit no ordinary person could possibly get away with. On the other hand, they might come under fire by the relentless Paparazzi and Tabloids, who will never stop looking for an opportunity to drag their reputation through the mud.

The chief of any respective pantheon would be a total cluster fuck. You're basically arresting the Pope, who's in charge of a global religious institution. If the chief deity is wrong, then everybody who supports their actions is wrong. On the other hand, you may have patriotic zealots who view the God as a champion of everything they believe in, and won't let them go down without a fight.
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 10-11-2017, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Hero's demigod's berserks, Dwarves, Tengu, Mortals with some connection to the gods. ?

would it be too silly, for the small branch of the FBI to be noticed by some god who had an interest, in the individual in question, then "Disciplined" in some way that does more to scare them off then harden their resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
        Precisely! If the Gods can't play by their own rules, then why should anybody else follow them?
        200 Successes on a Charisma + Presence roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Incendax View Post
          200 Successes on a Charisma + Presence roll.

Yeah, really hoping they have a more balanced system in 2E.

Dex monkies are broken as shit!

Comment

Yeah, really hoping they have a more balanced system in 2E.

Dex monkies are broken as shit!
            wondered for a bit, if I have that many successes on a Dex+Stealth Roll, hows that different from being invisible, since I can be right in front of them, in plain view, but not noticed?

Comment

wondered for a bit, if I have that many successes on a Dex+Stealth Roll, hows that different from being invisible, since I can be right in front of them, in plain view, but not noticed?

You're like a Loony Toons character, compressing your body mass behind an unfeasibly small prop!

Comment

fair enough, any idea how Hero's Demigods, or involved mortals, titanSpawn, etc could respond to a crazed FBI agent trying to arrest them?

Since they cant as easily cackle it off.

It gets noticed by a Scion's Divine Parent or sponsor?
                Last edited by Prince of the Night; 10-12-2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

fair enough, any idea how Hero's Demigods, or involved mortals, titanSpawn, etc could respond to a crazed FBI agent trying to arrest them?

Since they cant as easily cackle it off.

It gets noticed by a Scion's Divine Parent or sponsor?

Scions might have to be careful about how they react to the situation.

Cackling it off is exactly what the Titanspawn would do in that situation, before proceeding to smack the agent through a wall.

From what I've been lead to understand about the difference between Gods and Titans is that the former are defined by their connection to humanity, while the later are defined by their detachment from it. It was even hinted to me that it may be possible for a Scion to become a Titan in 2E, after reaching apotheosis.

If all of humanity was obliterated instantly, the majority of Titans wouldn't even notice. They're tied to the primordial forces of nature, not human consciousness.

The Gods, on the other hand, would be more heavily impacted by the sudden loss of human civilization, Without human concepts to provide stability and meaning, they might even start to regress back into Titanspawn.

Assuming that the Gods didn't try to start over by creating a new race of humanity to replace the old ones.
                  Last edited by Nyrufa; 10-12-2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

be careful is what you say, ideas on what they could do, evade them?

Kill them and wind up wanted?

Mind Fuck them into becoming your thrall?

Agents would likely wind up Fatebound to Scions their Harassing In some kind of Adversarial role.

I'd rather see them humiliated, forced to kneel before the Scion or go over his knee, to be entirely honest.
                    Last edited by Prince of the Night; 10-12-2017, 05:08 PM.

Comment

be careful is what you say, ideas on what they could do, evade them?

Kill them and wind up wanted?

Mind Fuck them into becoming your thrall?

Agents would likely wind up Fatebound to Scions their Harassing In some kind of Adversarial role.

I'd rather see them humiliated, forced to kneel before the Scion or go over his knee, to be entirely honest.

I would say using social skills would be the least risky method of handling the situation. If you can convince the authorities to back off peacefully, then you should be fine.

Attempting to force your way out, either through being smarter or more physically capable than the authorities will probably attract the wrong kind of attention. Sure, you could escape them pretty easily, but your reputation would be tarnished. And when it comes to Fate, a bad reputation is the last thing you want!

But yeah, it's possible the agent might end up Fatebound to the Scion. It's also possible they might become a Legendary mortal without even realizing it. Their constant pursuit of the Scion resulting in them becoming intricately tied to their adventures.

Comment

If that's the case, then why the hell aren't mortals siding with the Titans against the Theoi?

The Greek Underworld is pretty frickin depressing. Only the best of the best get to go to any thing remotely similar to heaven (Elysian Fields) and you need to do that 3 consecutive times before you're allowed to retire on the Isles of the Blessed.

I used to be a huge fan of Greek mythology. But the more I learn about them, the more I realize they're a bunch of giant dicks!

The only one who was even remotely worthy of respect was Hades, and the only dickish thing he ever did was against a fellow deity. I mean, unless the mortal intentionally picked a fight with him...
                        That is actually a somewhat later tradition. In the Odyssey Menelaus is going to Elysium become he is Zeus' son in law, not because of anything he did and Odysseus met most of the dead heroes from the Trojan War in Hades.

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                        Your average greek hero wasn't a dick though,they were often good people who wanted glory but not into the expense of others. Although the all of them had fatal flaws. Although with that being said,I'm happy scion will let us plays the monsters too,I want to apply the themes of good old Beast to scion
                        Have you read the source material?

Agamemnon sacrificed his daughter Iphigenia to Artemis so he could sail to Troy. Achilles refused to allow Hector to be burried and drug his body around behind his chariot, not to mention that he prayed to him mother to let many fellow Acheans die until they realized how much they needed him. Ajax the Lesser dragged Cassandra, daughter of Priam, away from the altar of Athena where she had taken shelter and raped her in the temple. While the war was going on they went around sacking a bunch of cities. Where do you suppose all those concubines came from? It was the first thing Odysseus did on his way home, go sack another Trojan ally they hadn't gotten around to yet.

Heracles cheated on his wives, Theseus abandoned Ariadne after she saved his life, and so it goes for almost all of them.
                        Last edited by Exthalion; 10-12-2017, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Not as Depressing As Yomi, I'm Tenatively experimenting with Shinto IRL, because a lot of lot it teaches makes sense, but I hope to the Kami I reincarnate, rather then be trapped there for all eternity to rot away eternally...

Comment

Precisely! If the Gods can't play by their own rules, then why should anybody else follow them?

The big question is "Who's going to prosecute them?"
                            Lets see what Homer had to say on that issue:

[95] But when he had dined and satisfied his soul with food, then he made answer, and addressed her, saying: “Thou, a goddess, dost question me, a god, upon my coming, and I will speak my word truly, since thou biddest me. It was Zeus who bade me come hither against my will. [100] Who of his own will would speed over so great space of salt sea-water, great past telling? Nor is there at hand any city of mortals who offer to the gods sacrifice and choice hecatombs. But it is in no wise possible for any other god to evade or make void the will of Zeus, who bears the aegis.

[5] “Hearken unto me, all ye gods and goddesses, that I may speak what the heart in my breast biddeth me. Let not any goddess nor yet any god essay this thing, to thwart my word, but do ye all alike assent thereto, that with all speed I may bring these deeds to pass. [10] Whomsoever I shall mark minded apart from the gods to go and bear aid either to Trojans or Danaans, smitten in no seemly wise shall he come back to Olympus, or I shall take and hurl him into murky Tartarus, [15] far, far away, where is the deepest gulf beneath the earth, the gates whereof are of iron and the threshold of bronze, as far beneath Hades as heaven is above earth: then shall ye know how far the mightiest am I of all gods. Nay, come, make trial, ye gods, that ye all may know. Make ye fast from heaven a chain of gold, [20] and lay ye hold thereof, all ye gods and all goddesses; yet could ye not drag to earth from out of heaven Zeus the counsellor most high, not though ye laboured sore. But whenso I were minded to draw of a ready heart, then with earth itself should I draw you and with sea withal; [25] and the rope should I thereafter bind about a peak of Olympus and all those things should hang in space. By so much am I above gods and above men.” So spake he, and they all became hushed in silence, marvelling at his words; for full masterfully did he address their gathering.

Conclusion: the only rule is Zeus does whatever he wants and everyone else is free to shut up and do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post

Lets see what Homer had to say on that issue:

[95] But when he had dined and satisfied his soul with food, then he made answer, and addressed her, saying: “Thou, a goddess, dost question me, a god, upon my coming, and I will speak my word truly, since thou biddest me. It was Zeus who bade me come hither against my will. [100] Who of his own will would speed over so great space of salt sea-water, great past telling? Nor is there at hand any city of mortals who offer to the gods sacrifice and choice hecatombs. But it is in no wise possible for any other god to evade or make void the will of Zeus, who bears the aegis.

[5] “Hearken unto me, all ye gods and goddesses, that I may speak what the heart in my breast biddeth me. Let not any goddess nor yet any god essay this thing, to thwart my word, but do ye all alike assent thereto, that with all speed I may bring these deeds to pass. [10] Whomsoever I shall mark minded apart from the gods to go and bear aid either to Trojans or Danaans, smitten in no seemly wise shall he come back to Olympus, or I shall take and hurl him into murky Tartarus, [15] far, far away, where is the deepest gulf beneath the earth, the gates whereof are of iron and the threshold of bronze, as far beneath Hades as heaven is above earth: then shall ye know how far the mightiest am I of all gods. Nay, come, make trial, ye gods, that ye all may know. Make ye fast from heaven a chain of gold, [20] and lay ye hold thereof, all ye gods and all goddesses; yet could ye not drag to earth from out of heaven Zeus the counsellor most high, not though ye laboured sore. But whenso I were minded to draw of a ready heart, then with earth itself should I draw you and with sea withal; [25] and the rope should I thereafter bind about a peak of Olympus and all those things should hang in space. By so much am I above gods and above men.” So spake he, and they all became hushed in silence, marvelling at his words; for full masterfully did he address their gathering.

Conclusion: the only rule is Zeus does whatever he wants and everyone else is free to shut up and do it.

I agree, some idiot TRYING to reign in the Scions to make things more democratic, would make good comic relief.

I'd personally like to see Uncle Sam forced to kneel before Amateratsu.

Comment

Working...
                              X