No announcement yet.

Scion Eras

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am completely unfamiliar with them, I'm afraid.

The only other system I can really think of off the cuff would be the Egyptians, with 1), a system having the planets based on the 12 hours of Duat, 2) a system with planets named after the five parts of the soul, and 3) a system - Khem, maybe - with the planets named after ancient Egyptian cities such as Memphis, Heliopolis, and Waset.

That and the Greeks, with the 12 planets of the Olympus System.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by ahather View Post
      Does anyone have any ideas for divine systems?
      I don't really know how the Tuatha de Danann would adopt to that since they are super obsessed with Ireland itself. They might, instead of having a planet or star system, just physically rip Ireland from the earth and... do something to it and just move it somewhere else. The Irish Otherworlds are already very "layered reality" sort of things, so they could have a regionalized dimension distortion sort of thing going on.

It would be fitting for the Irish to be the weirdos who, compared to everyone else who ran off and developed entirely new planetary systems, just took their original home and ran off with it. Probably trying to keep it out of reach of humanity or something.

Comment

Well, I sort of presumed they'd just have an entire planet Erin to obsess about.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

The Samsara System with 14 Planets could be the Galactic System of the Deva. I imagine that it was probably a system with extremely irregular cycles and uninhabitable planets till the Deva built the Meru galactic stabilizing system of technomagic to regulate the cycles of movement.

The 7 Tala Planets would be independant entities, 3 of the Loka Planets would function as one coalition perhaps called Dyavaprithvi (literally, 'Heaven and Earth'), while the other 4 would be mysterious planets which are cut off from the others by way of the Mukti asteroid belt, which only the Gods or Enlightened Rishis can cross.

The Dyavaprithvi Coalition consists of:

1. Bhur, the Earth like home of Humanity. People perform regular yajnas (fire sacrifices), where offerings of Soma are thrown into Sraddha devices, invented and operated by Agni, which transport them to Svarga for the Gods to enjoy.

2. Bhuvar, the gas giant home of the demigod races, who watch over the people of Bhur on behalf of the Gods and

3. Svarga, the home of Indra and his court, from where they control the weather and climate systems of Bhur.

The seven independant Tala planets would be

1. Atala, the pleasure planet, ruled by the Titan of Passion and Fertility Bala, filled with willing partners to suit all tastes and home to every mind altering substance known to Gods or Titans.

2. Vitala, a volcanic planet at whose core lie Bhava and Bhavani, Incarnations of Shiva and Parvati united in eternal intercourse... their sexual fluids erupt onto the surface and cool off to form a highly prized metal, much in demand by Forge Gods.

3. Sutala, arguably the most justly and well-ordered planet in the system, ruled by the Titan of Order and Prosperity Bali and protected by the Dvarpala (Gatekeeper) defence sytem installed by Vishnu, Sutala is the happiest and most prosperous of the planets in Samsara.

4. Talatala, ruled by the Titan of Forge and Deception Mayasura, Talatala is a planet that is sometimes there and sometimes not... the entire world is in fact an artificial one, forged by the Titan to be his workshop of wonders.

5. Mahatala, a primarily aquatic planet, home to the Naga serpents.

6. Rasatala, ruled by the Titans Diti and Danu and home to their children the Daityas and Danavas, the Rasatala planet is a breeding ground for Titanspawn and home of many of the Asura that plot to overthrow Indra.

7. Patala, a mysterious world inhabited by the Primordial Serpents Ananta and Vasuki, this planet is the home of the Meru galactic stabilizers that keep the other planets in proper alignment.

Beyond th Mukti asteroid belt lie the planets of Maharloka, Jnanaloka and Tapaloka, where go the Enlightened Mortals who have mastered the arts of Yoga. Beyond even that lies the Mokshsa asteroid belt, beyond which is Satyaloka, personal planet of the Trideva and Tridevi, which is extensively terraformed to contain the mountain ranges of Kailasha, the vast sea of Vaikuntha and the serene clouds and ponds of Brahmaloka.

The prison ship Naraka would be a giant voyaging space prison, piloted by Yama, for the rehabilitation of souls.

The other floating giant spaceship would be Mani Dvipa, Durga's abode and personal continent, source of the Shakti that powers both of the Samsara systems defense mechanisms... the vast galaxy spanning holographic projector that is Maya that can be used to render the whole system undetectable to outside influence, and of course the Astra orbital defense and weapon systems, the might of which no other Pantheon has tried to test yet.

Hmm.. I may have given all this slightly more detailed thought than was entirely necessary, but I would really love to see a space opera shard for Scion someday

Comment

See, this is the kind of beautifully mad awesomeness I was thinking about for such a "Scions of the Stars" setting. Well done

Comment

The Easter Rising and the conflicts with Britain following would be limited game play wise I feel. To be in setting you'd have to go for a "slow burner/period drama" sort of a feel, which wouldn't suit an over the top heroic Scion.

Perhaps the coming of the Normans, the "final" invasion group, the one not counted in the traditional invasions, reignites the old settler conflicts.

Similarly the period around the Battle of Kinsale, itself a set of conflicts to decide the ownership of Ireland.

Filleadh na nDéithe, Teacht na bhflaithbhilí - Return of the Gods, Coming of the Scions
              Last edited by An Fhuiseog; 12-02-2017, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watcher View Post
                It would be fitting for the Irish to be the weirdos who, compared to everyone else who ran off and developed entirely new planetary systems, just took their original home and ran off with it. Probably trying to keep it out of reach of humanity or something.
                How mysteriously familiar sounding

Comment

Originally posted by An Fhuiseog View Post
                  The Easter Rising and the conflicts with Britain following would be limited game play wise I feel. To be in setting you'd have to go for a "slow burner/period drama" sort of a feel, which wouldn't suit an over the top heroic Scion.

Perhaps the coming of the Normans, the "final" invasion group, the one not counted in the traditional invasions, reignites the old settler conflicts.

Similarly the period around the Battle of Kinsale, itself a set of conflicts to decide the ownership of Ireland.

Filleadh na nDéithe, Teacht na bhflaithbhilí - Return of the Gods, Coming of the Scions
                  Yeah, thinking about the Easter Rising, ignoring the problems with trying to sell a product in the setting, adding a Scion to the situation would make it... it would stop being the Easter Rising if you had a Scion there. Any sort of Scion would swing the situation in such a way that it would lose all meaning as the Easter Rising more or less.

I think the second time the Normans wandered in would be interesting, or maybe the aftermath of the Battle of Clontarf. Both situations where the social upheaval and immediate chaos would be a good setting for Otherworldly excursions to Ireland. Both the Fomorians and the Tuatha could try to take advantage of the situation.

The immediate aftermath of the Flight of the Earls might also be interesting. The end of the Irish aristocracy could be fluffed into breaking the pact the Sons of Mil forged for various reasons. Throwing Scions into the absolute mess there, along with a hostile Otherworld, could make a really interesting situation.

Out of curiosity, what does the word you are using for Scion there mean An Fhuiseog? Furious? Or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Watcher View Post
                    Out of curiosity, what does the word you are using for Scion there mean An Fhuiseog? Furious? Or something else?
                    Full detail:
                    It's a compound, closest word in meaning to what Scion in the game evokes. Flaith = Prince/Lord/Noble, Bile = Scion, in the more down to Earth meaning or Champion. Combined: Flaithbhile = Lordly Scion, Noble Champion. Flaithbhilí is the plural, with bh added in front as it's after the genitive plural article.

Comment

Originally posted by An Fhuiseog View Post
                      Full detail:
                      It's a compound, closest word in meaning to what Scion in the game evokes. Flaith = Prince/Lord/Noble, Bile = Scion, in the more down to Earth meaning or Champion. Combined: Flaithbhile = Lordly Scion, Noble Champion. Flaithbhilí is the plural, with bh added in front as it's after the genitive plural article.
                      Ah, neat! Thanks for the details! bh as the genitive plural article sounds so amazingly nice after a semester of Old Irish. I like that term for Scion!

Comment

Idly pondering if in "Scions of the Stars", the Manitou would have a confederation of six star systems.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                          Idly pondering if in "Scions of the Stars", the Manitou would have a confederation of six star systems.
                          I'd be more inclined to view them as living atop a giant space turtle with some sort of orbiting world where Nana'b'oozoo and his grandmother live apart from everyone else.

Also, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the Iroquois share a pantheon with the Algonquins. There are crossover myths and stories, but the Iroquois tribes and Algonquin tribes are part of different language groups and were often enemies, so while I don't know a lot about the mythology of the Six Nations, I would assume there are some major differences.

Comment

For some reason I keep getting the Algonquins and Iroquois mixed up in my head. I've no idea why this is. :P

I really wish it was as easy to find simple and easy to digest collections of the mythology of various First Nations as it is to find stuff about Greek or Norse. I used to have to scour book store bargain tables for mythology encyclopedias just to collect scraps of info on American, African and Pacific gods. Wikipedia has been a godsend (npi) in this, but I'd like to read stories about them the way I used to about Hercules or Thor back when I was a kid in the 80s.

Comment

I really wish it was as easy to find simple and easy to digest collections of the mythology of various First Nations as it is to find stuff about Greek or Norse. I used to have to scour book store bargain tables for mythology encyclopedias just to collect scraps of info on American, African and Pacific gods. Wikipedia has been a godsend (npi) in this, but I'd like to read stories about them the way I used to about Hercules or Thor back when I was a kid in the 80s.
                              I don't know what Wikpedia is like for First Nations mythology in general, but their Haida section is dodgy, and their Irish, and Gaulish sections tend to be about 80 years out of date.

If you are looking for some collections of First Nations mythologies however, I can provide some for the Wyandotte and the Haida if you want them! I have talked about them a few times before however so you might have already gotten your hands on them.

Comment

For some reason I keep getting the Algonquins and Iroquois mixed up in my head. I've no idea why this is. :P

For the Ojibwe/Anishinaabe (the tribe most people actually mean when they say "Algonquin", which is actually just the language group), try to find a book by Basil Johnston. His books are short, cheap, and easy to read. He is of Anishinaabe descent himself, and mostly outlines mythological figures and their stories in a very clear way, though he has also written books on rituals and such. I have his "The Manitous" on my shelf as a basic reference guide.

If you're interested in any other of the Native North American peoples, try me - I don't know about a lot of them, but I know some

Comment

Working...
                                X