No announcement yet.

Scion Eras

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

although its difficult to do properly until we have 2nd ed, should i make a forum thread for scion of the stars?

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. I have a handful of books about the Navajo/Dine, after my initial exposure to them and neighboring cultures in Tony Hillerman's novels. (I'm sure there's a potential story about Sgt. Jim Chee being a Scion of the Diyin Dine, maybe of Changing Woman.) And it's a little easier to find stuff about the Cherokee where I live in eastern TN.

It could be worse, though. I'm old enough to remember the second edition AD&D Legends & Lore book, with it's generic "Native American" pantheon. And the outright painful to read Rifts Spirit West.

I still think that, as an April 1st release, OP needs to do a "generic European" pantheon for Scion, as a parody of those things. Cram G-d the Father, Zeus, and Santa Claus together into Bearded Skygod, some mix and match of Jesus, Robin Hood, Hercules and Thor into Hero Brothers, and so on.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by ahather View Post
        although its difficult to do properly until we have 2nd ed, should i make a forum thread for scion of the stars?
        I have no objection, for whatever it's worth.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Random Thought: Alternate History settings for Scion

For the Greeks, a world where Alexander the Greek lived long enough to shore up his empire and go on to conquer the western Mediterranean, with Hellenistic Greek culture (along with Egyptian and Persian influences) becomes the basis for Western Civilization (which includes North Africa and Southwest Asia for this world).

For the Norse, a world where the Normans never conquered England and the Little Ice Age never happened, resulting in a powerful Nordic cultural empire spread from Kiev to North America

For the Aztecs, a world where Christopher Columbus decided his destiny was to lead a crusade against the Turks instead of being a navigator, holding off the European interaction with the Americas for another century or so, leading to a powerful Aztec Empire spread into the Caribbean, Mississippi delta and Southwest.

For the Manitou, a world where the French won the Seven Years War, leaving the bulk of North America under their control and allowing the various Algonquian speaking nations to develop in their own territories without being displaced by English colonists.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Hmm. I'd suggest the Beaver Wars in the 17th century, but that may not be far enough removed from the classic.

If you were going with the idea of having a setting in which PC Scions of that pantheon can change history to their pantheon's benefit, then maybe the American Revolution, either getting the entire Confederacy to remain completely neutral or get the Mohawk, Seneca, Onondaga and Cayuga to remain neutral or join the Tuscarora and Oneida in siding with the Colonists, in order to head off the Sullivan Campaign and keep the Confederacy intact as a regional power to be recognized by the new United States, or going out and winning the war for the British (at the battle of Saratoga, maybe, as in Robert Sobel's For Want of a Nail) so that the Confederacy is a powerful and respected British ally/client state that is a buffer between the New England and New York colonies and Quebec/Canada.

Franklin and Washington both wanted to bring the Native Americans in as states of the Union. Perhaps moving in the early Federal Period to creat a Native American state or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Watcher View Post

Yeah, thinking about the Easter Rising, ignoring the problems with trying to sell a product in the setting, adding a Scion to the situation would make it... it would stop being the Easter Rising if you had a Scion there. Any sort of Scion would swing the situation in such a way that it would lose all meaning as the Easter Rising more or less.

I think the second time the Normans wandered in would be interesting, or maybe the aftermath of the Battle of Clontarf. Both situations where the social upheaval and immediate chaos would be a good setting for Otherworldly excursions to Ireland. Both the Fomorians and the Tuatha could try to take advantage of the situation.

The immediate aftermath of the Flight of the Earls might also be interesting. The end of the Irish aristocracy could be fluffed into breaking the pact the Sons of Mil forged for various reasons. Throwing Scions into the absolute mess there, along with a hostile Otherworld, could make a really interesting situation.

Out of curiosity, what does the word you are using for Scion there mean An Fhuiseog? Furious? Or something else?
              Could the Tuatha ever realize the world has changed and they might get Ireland back by simply moving back and charming the locals into joining them? I mean realistically, the Tuatha could come out of their hills and sue in Irish courts for the right to live in Ireland. And the modern day Irish would welcome them, as long as they mind their manners.

Why don't the Tuatha go for the charm offensive? They'd win fairly easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
                Could the Tuatha ever realize the world has changed and they might get Ireland back by simply moving back and charming the locals into joining them? I mean realistically, the Tuatha could come out of their hills and sue in Irish courts for the right to live in Ireland. And the modern day Irish would welcome them, as long as they mind their manners.

Why don't the Tuatha go for the charm offensive? They'd win fairly easily.
                Ah, you would hope so, wouldn't you? In theory it all depends on how modernized the Túatha Dé have become, but as The Otherworld is a static reality that cannot change without kidnapped mortals to alter any small detail, I'd normally suggest they're one of the least modernized Pantheons.

The big challenge is that the Túatha Dé are a Pantheon of warlike colonizers who dislike each other as much as they dislike everyone else. While they totally could charm people into following them, the big issue would be that that isn't probably big on their list of aims. They don't want to get along with people, they want to own people. Supremacy is the main point of the day, to be better, to conquer, to dominate, and subjugate. Their whole cultural ethos is based around the constant negotiation of status and position within a higherarchy, and if you are not in first place, i.e. the person dominating the other person (or in this group, the tribal group dominating all other tribal groups) you may as well be in last place.

I also don't think the modern day Irish would have much of an intention or reason to share Ireland with the Túatha Dé. Ignoring the intense Christian basis of the country modernly, the Túatha Dé are really not the nicest people. They raid, they slave, they take captives and hostages. The main elements of their saga material is that they're essentially unable to mind their manners or follow socially normalized acceptable action. Add to this the fact that the Túatha Dé have blood feuds against the mortal Irish (the mortal Irish killed most of the Túatha Dé, conned Éiru, Banba and Folta into each betraying the Pantheon, and generally just ground the Pantheon's face in their defeat), they probably wouldn't accept living peacefully.

However! The mortal Irish have killed the Túatha Dé before, so I'd say if they ever tried to annex Ireland, it would be a hard fight.

And, if they tried to sue the mortal Irish for parts of Ireland, you bet the Fir Bolg would be right there to sue everyone because it was their island first! The Túatha Dé just rolled in and essentially committed genocide and then relegated the Fir Bolg into small portions of land because the Fir Bolg wouldn't share Ireland with them. (Another reason why the Túatha Dé probably wouldn't want to share with humanity)

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
                The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire, The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples, The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation, The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti, Lebor Óe In Dea: an Expansion for the Túatha Dé Danann, The Zemi: The Pantheon of the Taíno People(s).

Comment

The very first Scion campaign I played in was set in the Wild West in the 1870's. It was the antithesis of a Deadlands campaign. We were movers and shakers and the villainous power feared us.

I was a Scion of Loki.

I trapped a bunch of vampires in their bordello with me and then burned the place down, I only left the flaming building after I finished the last of their whiskey.

I tricked two different factions of Mexican rebels/raiders into going to war with one another by convincing each that the other was actually in league with President Diaz.

Good Times.

Comment

Working...
                  X