Scion of the Stars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scion of the Stars

So Over in the scion Eras thread, No One of Consequence came up with the idea of doing a Space Opera setting for Shard for Scion, Similar to the way that Exalted has Heavens reach.

after some discussion in the thread I decided to make a new thread specifically for discussing that, so anyhow.

Thinking lots of influence from Star Gate, Thor, and Dune, and some heavy use of the Feudal future trope, also for now at least until 2nd ed comes out and we know how and which pantheons are going to be presented,
    the main question i would like an answer to is how we are going to contextualize gods and scions and titans and so on in a sci-fi setting if at all?

Is this going to be Scion in Space, or is it a scifi setting using the themes, tropes, mechanics and so on of scion

Aliens, extra-dimensional entities, AI nanite nets, psychic archetype manifestations, cosmic forces given interfaces...all are acceptable options in space opera. Heck some are argueably true in standard Scion games.

This is something that will benefit from Trinity. Just worth checking once it is up.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

yeah certainly i can see Aeon being very useful once it's out,

thinking in Stargate the gods range from alien parasites with cool tech, grey aliens with cool tech, and there are also the ascended, with Thor the gods i think are just Human aliens with cool tech, i think i would rather not go with the gods being aliens, i could see True strong AI, culture style working, but then how do you contextualize scions, how does an AI have kids,

what do you mean by AI nanite nets, i know what all these words mean individuality, but together takes some interpretation and i'm failing at that right now

Comment

AI nanite networks* would be a strong AI based in or with significant access to a network of nanites. This was worried so the AI could genetically alter fetuses in vitro, and/or guide/enhance children thereafter. This also allows you to contextualize scions (both born and chosen). With a little stretching you can also add other genesis; robots for created and a forced partion download into a human body could function like an incarnation.

*my bad for not wring it upon the first post.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Sort of like that.

Comment

Yeah something like that, i mean not that, but similar, not had chance to look at that game in any detail mind you, and as far as i know it only really covers Greek myth as sci-fi

Comment

My initial thought about the whole things was that:
              1. The Gods and Titans of Scion are all real, as is their magic.
              2. The Titanomachy is a thing, with said gods spawning Scions to go forth and battle the titanspawn.
              3. Rather than playing out on Earth in modern day, this is a galaxy spanning sci fi thing in the vein of, say, Mass Effect, Star Trek or Starfinder.
              4. Planet earth and its history doesn't really play into this, save as a starting point for ideas and plot hooks.
              5. Rather than a human culture, each Pantheon has it own star system or systems.
              6. Said star systems would be patterned after that culture's mythology, but would also draw on historical influences of the cultures at their most interesting.
              7. And that culture and mythology would be blended with space opera style tech, giving things similar to what you see in Stargate or Thor: The Dark World.
              8. The Pantheons still have their Overworld apart from their human (and sometimes non-human, such as the Alfar) systems and planets.
              As a possible example. let's say that the Aesir have the Yggdrasil System, centered on the star of that name. The three primary inhabited planets of the system are Vanaheimr, Manheimr, and (Aesheimr? I'm not sure exactly). Manheimer probably has a overall climate similar to that of Scandinavia and Central Europe during the Medieval Warm Period, with a lot of water ways, fjords, mountains, and forests, as well as a lot of high tech (or technoMAGICAL?) cities, and a culture that puts a lot of stock in trading, exploring, poetry, and so forth, all in a space opera context. And yes, people still like to go a viking. Vanaheimr is probably viewed as a little "backwards" and outright fey-touched at times, being a bit more rural, mystically oriented and famed for its seers. Aesheimr(?) is even more technomystical than the other two put together, being the closest connected planet to the Overworld of Asgard. It has the big gleaming golden towers, is the center of government of the system (and any colonies in other systems). It also seems to produce more Aesir Scions than any where else under their dominion.
              Beyond that, Muspelheim and Niflheim sit at the extremes of the system, one a volcanic world of boiling rock and metal closest to the sun, the other a frozen wasteland at the edge of the system. Jotonheim is a gas giant, possibly the home of a race of titanspawn. Ljosalfheimr and Svartalfheimr may either be a pair of twin worlds that share an orbit, or are perhaps the twin moons of Vanaheimr, and are the homes of the Alfar. Hel is a massive prison ship that sits beyond the orbit of Jotenheim. Jormungandr may be a massive astroid belt that separates the three inhabited worlds from that of Jotenheim and Niflheim.

Outside of this core system, there are probably other Aesirian colonies, such as the Vinland system, which borders Manitou territory, the Danelaw Expance, where raiders and colonist are in constant conflict with the Welsh worlds and their Space Knights of the Round Table, or the Sagen System, which draws heavily on Grimm's Fairy Tails for it's influences.

This is just one possible example. Samudra has a really cool idea for a Deva system.
              Last edited by No One of Consequence; 12-09-2017, 10:43 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I ran a Scion Science Fantasy game called "Omega".

The band started out on a mining ship that had arrived at an asteroid belt -- signs of devastation were everywhere after what looked like a titanic battle had taken place. The players went about their jobs hauling in large chunks of rock that their crew was supposed to carve up to find precious resources. One of the first things they haul in was a massive stone head, one side of her face badly damaged by the battle.

As they cracked the stone head open, a glorious and beautiful light burst forth and slammed into one of the characters, and stone shrapnel killed several of the (NPC) crew members. A voice began to whisper through the cargo hold and demand that the thieves return "Him". The crew members who had just died picked themselves up once more and lurched ominously towards the same character the light stuck.

The character that had been struck by the light began hearing a second whispering voice, this one full of warm words and guidance. It claimed to be someone named Baldur, and he had been trapped for a very long time.

The ship turned into a nightmare as the dead crew members kept rising back up and chasing the doomed character. The whole thing became survival horror as the band tried to figure out how to lure the undead into traps big and lethal enough to completely destroy their bodies. They came up with a plan to destroy the stone head, hoping that would end the madness, so they used stealth and tricks to get around the undead back to the cargo bay so they could jettison the stone head back into space and blow it up. But the stone head was guarded by the dead. Using rivet bolters, wrenches, and anything else they could scrounge up, they manage to fight through the undead and plant explosives on the stone head.

They secure themselves and hit the button, dumping the whole cargo room into space (including several undead they were fighting).

The explosives detonated, rocking the ship and damaging the hull. The band watched on the viewing monitor as countless spirits that had been trapped within the stone head escaped... some of them gliding right through the hull and slamming into the other players, with the others sailing off into the unknown.

That's how the band was visited.

Badly damaged, they managed to jury rig the mining ship into making a jump to the nearest place they could get it repaired. With a lurch, they arrived in a familiar mining colony, where ore was delivered to be processed by ships roaming their corner of the galaxy. People had a hard life here, but they managed to eek out a living and make it work. As they were getting their ship fixed, they began to hear rumors of some people acting REALLY strangely -- claiming to be hearing voices demanding they do things.

The voices in their own heads were telling a different story. Some of them spoke with awe at seeing how much the world had changed, while others scoffed at the changes, and one tempted a character with tremendous power if only they would just obey.

With time to kill because their ship was getting repaired, and growing concern over the voices in their heads, the band decided to follow up on some of the rumors. This lead them to a major factory where one man had apparently gone completely psychotic, claiming to be the reborn God of Thunder. They met the man, a rough and tough factory worker with a kid of his own. While some of the band talked to him to hear his story, another member looked up his profile in the factory database. Just two days ago he was shaved bald, a common thing to keep out the lice. And now? He had a mane of wild and flowing red hair.

The factory worker was convinced he could hear the sounds of slithering within the building. He tried to talk the band into helping, but he was clearly out of his gord. The other factory workers tried to restrain him and send him to the doctor, but he burst out of his restraints and rushed up an old cargo elevator. The rest of the band had to scale the elevator shaft to catch him -- mostly so they could continue to question him. If this was happening to him, would the same thing happen to them?

Some of the voices offered reassurances that it wouldn't. One of the voices said it absolutely would.

They get upstairs and discover the man has ripped an ore hammer from one of the machines, something that should be impossible even for a strong man like him. He bellowed and shouted, searching between the hammering and pounding machines. The band finally corner him and plead with him, not wanting to just hurt someone who was obviously in such distress. But then they heard it also. The soft sibilant sounds of hissing, and the fleeting glimpse of something with gleaming scales sliding between the machines.

That's how they learned the truth.

The countless spirits that had escaped from the stone head were the gods, einherjar, and giants who had died during Ragnarok.

They were back, and history was doomed to repeat itself.
                Last edited by Iry; 12-10-2017, 01:57 AM.

Comment

One of the questions that occurred to me was, well, what do the Sun Moon and Stars Purviews even mean in this setting? Stars I think could get by mostly unscathed, and Sun could be repurposed to a Light Purview... but what about Moon?

Comment

Moon could get... WEIRD.

I kind of like the idea that in a Space/Mythic setting, humans are the Stem Cell/Generic race, found in every star system, but many planets are inhabited by the other fantasy races. Ljosalfheimr and Svartalfheimr as the twin moons of Vanaheimr works very well in my opinion, with the Alfar and Svartalfar having a relationship similar to that of the Vulcans and Romulans from Star Trek. For the Olympus system, I would love fauns/satyrs as a race, similar to the Dranei from World of Warcraft.

Regarding the AI Nanite network idea: when a Scion with this Origin achieves Apotheosis, you have a literal Deus Ex Machina, a God From the Machine!

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
                    I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

Comment

In this kind of setting, I'd think that to represent the way Tian works, the Shen would be a spacefaring Pantheon based not out of planets, but out of motherships or space platforms orbiting planets in the exosphere, kind of like the Radchaai.*

The Òrìshà and Loa would have one home planet, Òrun; but Ginen/the spirit world would be a dimension or alternate universe, I think, rather than a planet, like hyperspace or the Warp or whatever. Because distances are different (and usually shorter) in Ginen, Èshù and co. can shift into Ginen for fast-travel purposes. But certain ghosts and spirits have one foot in each dimension.

*I'm only up to Ancillary Sword, no spoilers

Currently Developing you know I should probably stop updating this field, I keep accidentally announcing things early
                      Crowdfund Me Tha Illiad of MC Homer: a hip hop translation of Homer's Iliad

Comment

Originally posted by Lula View Post
                        The Òrìshà and Loa would have one home planet, Òrun; but Ginen/the spirit world would be a dimension or alternate universe, I think, rather than a planet, like hyperspace or the Warp or whatever. Because distances are different (and usually shorter) in Ginen, Èshù and co. can shift into Ginen for fast-travel purposes. But certain ghosts and spirits have one foot in each dimension.
                        I kind of see the Orisha and Loa as very powerful AIs in a society that heavily use cybernetic implants and computer systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post

I kind of see the Orisha and Loa as very powerful AIs in a society that heavily use cybernetic implants and computer systems.
                          An interesting way to represent Cheval. The AI can "ride" various citizens, possibly providing at least temporary upgrades to hardware functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
                            Moon could get... WEIRD.
                            I kind of like the idea that in a Space/Mythic setting, humans are the Stem Cell/Generic race, found in every star system, but many planets are inhabited by the other fantasy races. Ljosalfheimr and Svartalfheimr as the twin moons of Vanaheimr works very well in my opinion, with the Alfar and Svartalfar having a relationship similar to that of the Vulcans and Romulans from Star Trek. For the Olympus system, I would love fauns/satyrs as a race, similar to the Dranei from World of Warcraft.
                            I figure that just about anything that has ever been - or possibly could've been - presented as a Follower or Creature or Guide or Titanspawn could potentially exist as an "alien" race. Alfar, Myrmidons, Amazons, jaguar-men, Japanese cat girls, yeti, swan maidens, merpeople, giants, ninja, etc.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

I figure that just about anything that has ever been - or possibly could've been - presented as a Follower or Creature or Guide or Titanspawn could potentially exist as an "alien" race. Alfar, Myrmidons, Amazons, jaguar-men, Japanese cat girls, yeti, swan maidens, merpeople, giants, ninja, etc.
                              Well, yeah! I was just starting with a few examples. I'm picturing whole planets populated by sentient beings that humans are used to thinking of as fairy tales... AND IT'S AWESOME!!

Comment

Working...
                              X