Movies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies?

I feel like there should have, at some point, been a thread related to various movies deal with gods and/or their children, but I'm failing at finding it.

So, could someone point me to it if it exists, or, if it doesn't exist, anyone wanna toss up all the ones they can think of?

I'm not looking for movies that could resonate with Scion, per se. I actually want movies that deal with mythological gods and/or their children. Include anything you know, even if it's crappy (though a qualifier as to whether something is crap or not is always welcome. Lol) Also, I would love some that are related to not just the Greek Gods, who are so overrepresented in modern media.

https://vimeo.com/29832031 Watch this ( just watch it till the end and you will understand why i relate this with scion)

About the rest...

Well percy jackson (PRETTY CRAPPY - books are way better. Magnus Chase is pretty good.)

- American gods is perfect in my advice.

- Gods of Egypt (crappy but funny)

- apocalypto ( dunno why, but is a good setup to understand the teotl rituals etcetc)

- XENA AND HERCULES DUDE ( not movie but...come on.)

- Immortals 2011 (greeks)

- ...marvel's thor?

- Beowulf

- the forbidden kingdom ( Shen gods)

Comment

I think moana is a nice scion story.
      The interesting thing (in my opinion) is that you can see multiple tiers of play (hero and demigod mostly) sharing the same adventure.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
      Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.
      Currently planning: Scion 2nd edition

Comment

The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)
        Clash of the Titans (1981)
        Wonder Woman (2017)
        Jason and the Argonauts (1963)
        JIm Henson's The Storyteller: The Greek Myths (1990)
        Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons (2013) & Journey to the West: The Demons Strike Back (2017)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
          I think moana is a nice scion story.
          The interesting thing (in my opinion) is that you can see multiple tiers of play (hero and demigod mostly) sharing the same adventure.
          Absolutely this. I remember watching the boat fight scene the first time and thinking "oh hey, they're using the momentum system the scion devs have been talking about."

Unfortunately the only other movie I know that touches anything like that is Percy Jackson, and all I can say about that is to confirm that it's pretty bad and the books are much much better.

Comment

Sadly, there seems to be a shortage of western films based on anything outside of Greek/Roman and a handful of Norse myths.

The battle between Horus and Set would make for a really great epic fantasy film if done with any degree of skill and talent (yes, I'm looking at you, Gods of Egypt :P).

I know nothing about Indian cinema, but there seem to be a number of films based off of Hindu stories. Someone much more versed in that will have to recommend some, if possible.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

I've always had a special place in my heart for the Forbidden Kingdom, flaws and all. If viewed as a Scion story, it might be an interesting example of what could happen after a Divine one-night stand, where the young Scion doesn't really have a cultural connection to his parents Pantheon, and has to get the crash course.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

I know nothing about Indian cinema, but there seem to be a number of films based off of Hindu stories. Someone much more versed in that will have to recommend some, if possible.
                The biggest medium through which India consumes Hindu myths is actually tv shows In a land where a large percentage of people are still illiterate, written scripture doesn't circulate very far, and even if you are literate in your own mother tongue, there's a good chance whatever scripture you're looking to read isn't easily available in that language. So, short of learning Sanskrit, the easiest way for Indians to learn about Hindu mythology is watch it on tv These shows exist in pretty much all languages, and the more popular one in one region sometimes even gets translated to others, much faster than a book ever will. Of course, while some of them are very well researched and totally worth a watch, others are ... less so. Sadly, while most of these broadcsaters actually do post the episodes online for free, pretty much none of them have subtitles in English, so I can't recommend any for educational purposes... some of them do have some pretty amazing depictions of scenes from Hindu myth though, which can be worth a watch for visuals alone

Here's one of my favourites : https://youtu.be/nYRzqc8Q008?t=8m37s showing the Tridevi combining together to become Durga watch till the 10:50 mark.

As for movies, most mythological movies come from the southern parts of India, and sadly I do not speak any of those languages and as a result really can't recommend any.

Comment

Cool. Thank you very much.

I know Netflix has a selection of stuff from India, but I've no idea if any of it contains anything related to Hindu myth.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                    I know Netflix has a selection of stuff from India, but I've no idea if any of it contains anything related to Hindu myth.

I actually just noticed Dashavatar on Netflix, which says it's about Lord Vishnu, and was hoping to inquire as to it's accuracy. If anyone knows any others that'd be great as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MalicWanderer View Post

I actually just noticed Dashavatar on Netflix, which says it's about Lord Vishnu, and was hoping to inquire as to it's accuracy. If anyone knows any others that'd be great as well.
                      I saw Dashavatar ages ago dubbed in Bengali... which made the dialogue a little jerky (not that that's actually relevant since I'm asuming you'll be watching with subtitles ... unless Netflix has an English dub I didn't know about).

Anyway, it's... passable. The animation is... decent. Story wise I have two major issues with it.

Firstly it's oriented towards kids, and even has a framing device where a pair of annoying audience insert child characters get taken on a magical journey to see the story of Vishnu's Avatars. This leads to some weird situations like Kalki announcing that he will usher in a new golden age at the end of the Kali Yuga... whilst conveniently forgetting to mention that there's a period of universal dissolution before that Golden Age.

Secondly, it's trying to tell the story of ten Avatars in less than two hours worth of runtime, and has a framing device to get through as well. Which means the stories are pared down to the very basics

Also I'm pretty certain the screenwriter confused Vaivasvata Manu for Noah, cuz the Hindu Manu does not fill his boar up with one male and one female of every creature on earth.

You could watch it, honestly... it's not that bad, but something like this really should have been a series, not a movie

Comment

Speaking of Netflix, as I write this, I'm watching Hisss, a Bollywood-style horror story about Nagin. I'm wondering how accurate it is?

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
                        I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

Comment

Working...
                        X