Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Origins on backerkit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
    I do like that the default outlook on the creatures of legend in The World isn't the typical "But that can't exist", but more "That might/probably exists, but I don't want any trouble with it so I just mind my own business"

    Like, a police chief will probably have a Scion of say, Nuada on staff, and sends him out for Weird Jobs with explicit orders of "And if it IS a troll or something, make the problem go away. I really don't need the details."
    I’m now thinking of Orlando Jones’ character on the early seasons of Sleepy Hollow. He was just so... pissed off that supernatural shot was something he had to deal with.


    Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

    Comment


    • Honestly I've not made it further than the setting chapter, other than a handful of dips into antagonists and storyguiding, because I just can't grasp how this world is supposed to look and feel. Multiple sections start off by saying one thing, but they end by contradicting that. "Plenty of rulers and high-ranking politicians in the history of the World have claimed a divine right to leadership, and in the modern day it still happens with relative frequency." gets followed by "Ultimately, the World doesn’t see many more global leaders claiming divine right than our world does", which are sentences that cancel out. There are tabloids discussing different gods' shenanigans, modern pop culture is full of stuff about the gods and scions, except also the divine is mostly omens and coincidences and who even knows what's going on. It says that people take this all on a matter of faith, if not evidence, after lengthily describing how it's all anyone can talk about in the media. The gods are active, but not really, they're just not active on Earth. The supernatural is real! Amazonian is a race you can mark on a census form. Actually not really, no one really sees the supernatural, except for when they do all the time.

      Other sections say that all of this changes less than you might think, but I'm not convinced by what we're told here. Somewhat ironically, the proof of that claim is also a matter of faith, and it seems like this is a feature, not a bug, because the chapter starts out by telling you to suspend the disbelief and find a way to make it true (implying that it doesn't actually make much sense but now it's your job to make it fit). In storyguiding, it says that the daily lives of mortals see the divine relegated to signs and omens that may or may not be real. After we've already been told there's no such thing as coincidences and it's all true. This game can't make up its mind if it wants to be Bright or World of Darkness, and I'd really appreciate it if it would pick one.

      Also, I can't pronounce, like, half of the names in this book. I can read them if I use google and am familiar with IPA notation and I can guarantee you many, many players aren't going to have the willingness or familiarity to do either. Pronunciation suggestions are a must.


      A Green Sun Destrier

      Comment


      • Originally posted by kongurous View Post
        Honestly I've not made it further than the setting chapter, other than a handful of dips into antagonists and storyguiding, because I just can't grasp how this world is supposed to look and feel. Multiple sections start off by saying one thing, but they end by contradicting that. "Plenty of rulers and high-ranking politicians in the history of the World have claimed a divine right to leadership, and in the modern day it still happens with relative frequency." gets followed by "Ultimately, the World doesn’t see many more global leaders claiming divine right than our world does", which are sentences that cancel out. There are tabloids discussing different gods' shenanigans, modern pop culture is full of stuff about the gods and scions, except also the divine is mostly omens and coincidences and who even knows what's going on. It says that people take this all on a matter of faith, if not evidence, after lengthily describing how it's all anyone can talk about in the media. The gods are active, but not really, they're just not active on Earth. The supernatural is real! Amazonian is a race you can mark on a census form. Actually not really, no one really sees the supernatural, except for when they do all the time.
        I'd imagine it's a bit like how celebrity culture is nowadays. Tabloids and pop-culture are full of stuff about the daily lives of various actors and musicians, and it's literally the only thing some people know how to talk about, but the average person never meets a celebrity in their life. People in the World know full well that Gods and the supernatural are real, regardless of not usually seeing it face to face. They take it on faith the same way we take it on faith that anything else we see in the news isn't a complete fiction. And just like ours I'm sure the World has it's share of conspiracy nuts who think the Gods are actually space lizards trying to take over the world.

        Also, those sentences about divine right only cancel out if there aren't any leaders doing that in our world, and I'm pretty sure there still are. Possibly more than one might think. Together they mean it happens more there than here, just not by a very wide margin, or nearly so much as it used to in either case.

        Other sections say that all of this changes less than you might think, but I'm not convinced by what we're told here. Somewhat ironically, the proof of that claim is also a matter of faith, and it seems like this is a feature, not a bug, because the chapter starts out by telling you to suspend the disbelief and find a way to make it true (implying that it doesn't actually make much sense but now it's your job to make it fit). In storyguiding, it says that the daily lives of mortals see the divine relegated to signs and omens that may or may not be real. After we've already been told there's no such thing as coincidences and it's all true. This game can't make up its mind if it wants to be Bright or World of Darkness, and I'd really appreciate it if it would pick one.
        I don't think it wants to be either, but rather somewhere in between. That first part isn't saying "this does't make sense so you figure it out" it's saying "despite our best efforts, we can't possibly make a perfectly consistent alternate history, let alone fit it in this book. When you inevitably find a piece that seems like it doesn't quite fit, rather than just pointing out the plothole and/or letting it ruin your enjoyment, try playing a round of 'How can that be true?' instead."

        Also, I can't pronounce, like, half of the names in this book. I can read them if I use google and am familiar with IPA notation and I can guarantee you many, many players aren't going to have the willingness or familiarity to do either. Pronunciation suggestions are a must.
        Here I agree with you wholeheartedly.
        Last edited by MalicWanderer; 02-14-2018, 12:29 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by kongurous View Post
          "Plenty of rulers and high-ranking politicians in the history of the World have claimed a divine right to leadership, and in the modern day it still happens with relative frequency." gets followed by "Ultimately, the World doesn’t see many more global leaders claiming divine right than our world does", which are sentences that cancel out.
          Former US President Bush once said he felt like God wanted him to be President.

          People in this world invoke the divine to claim legitimacy to claims and their causes. The main difference between our world and The World is that they have more names to actively invoke.

          That section also, I believe, leaves it vague as to how many of these claims are true.


          Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

            Former US President Bush once said he felt like God wanted him to be President.
            And I have actually seen cases of supporters of both Bush and the current President use their respective defeats in the popular vote as proof that there was divine intervention to make them President instead!


            Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

            Comment


            • Originally posted by kongurous View Post
              Other sections say that all of this changes less than you might think, but I'm not convinced by what we're told here. Somewhat ironically, the proof of that claim is also a matter of faith, and it seems like this is a feature, not a bug, because the chapter starts out by telling you to suspend the disbelief and find a way to make it true (implying that it doesn't actually make much sense but now it's your job to make it fit). In storyguiding, it says that the daily lives of mortals see the divine relegated to signs and omens that may or may not be real. After we've already been told there's no such thing as coincidences and it's all true. This game can't make up its mind if it wants to be Bright or World of Darkness, and I'd really appreciate it if it would pick one.
              How I view it is just that more people hold folklore true in the World alongside more diverse religions. I can't imagine a lot of people irl who believe extremely strongly in angels wouldn't lose their damned minds if a burning wheel lined with eyes knocked at their front door in the morning. I just apply this to the World. Someone wears a tiny image of Mjolnir and definitely believes in trolls (in the abstract), but if the Gods themselves appeared to them in a Visitation or a werewolf just exploded through the wall of a restaurant they'd barely be able to process what happens. Instead, it is signs and omens they see in the world and contextualize through their religious beliefs. See an image of a hanged man, process that through religious understanding of Odin, and maybe decide you should be extra careful that day. Thank the gods for the little things, and pray hard with a small sacrifice that night.

              I don't necessarily think that is how it is meant to be read, but its the best way I can grok the idea of the myths being more accepted as true vs. it still being a distant thing of omen and mystery and things you take on faith.

              Comment


              • Well, one thing that is likely is that this kind of expert is more common in the World than here...



                You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

                Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Alpharius View Post

                  How I view it is just that more people hold folklore true in the World alongside more diverse religions. I can't imagine a lot of people irl who believe extremely strongly in angels wouldn't lose their damned minds if a burning wheel lined with eyes knocked at their front door in the morning. I just apply this to the World. Someone wears a tiny image of Mjolnir and definitely believes in trolls (in the abstract), but if the Gods themselves appeared to them in a Visitation or a werewolf just exploded through the wall of a restaurant they'd barely be able to process what happens. Instead, it is signs and omens they see in the world and contextualize through their religious beliefs. See an image of a hanged man, process that through religious understanding of Odin, and maybe decide you should be extra careful that day. Thank the gods for the little things, and pray hard with a small sacrifice that night.

                  I don't necessarily think that is how it is meant to be read, but its the best way I can grok the idea of the myths being more accepted as true vs. it still being a distant thing of omen and mystery and things you take on faith.
                  I see it like this. Organized crime exists, most people will not have met a member of the mob, or if they did they didn't realize it. Same thing with kitsune and Fae. They are out there, somewhere, but unless you go looking or happen to live in the right place it doesn't effect you directly.

                  Comment


                  • So, in light of the Crafting Rules, does the Celestial Artifice Boon in the earlier previewed Forge Purview make it possible for Heroes to create Tier 3 Items (by bringing the project down to Tier 2) or does it just mean that Heroes can build Tier 2 Items with the ease of Tier 1, and you still can't create Items that would be naturally out of your reach?

                    Comment


                    • Ok, I’ve tried really hard and some things are simply just escaping me. I’m not sure if I missed them in the text, or if the text doesn’t have them.

                      1) Little Mao doesn’t seem to follow a lot of the creation rules. First, when he’s picking his skills, he picks Culture for all three Paths, despite the rule right above the example stating that a skill can only be chosen as part of a path twice. Second, when he’s distributing his attribute dots, the total dots he distributes doesn’t count up to the number of attributes he’s supposed to have. Thirdly, when they show him spending EXP, what he buys with 10 experience points, according to the advancement table, should cost him 65.

                      2) Do Paths have ratings? The text talks in places about regaining a rating, or rolling a rating, or as ratings go up, but it doesn’t give any indication as to what the ratings are, how one gains ratings in Paths, or what your path Ratings start at. It also says something about rolling your Path for more dots, but there’s no explanation as to what those dots are or do.

                      I’ve got more, but I don’t want to pile on and seem like I’m being negative.

                      Comment


                      • Those have been errata'd out of the text.

                        I cant give the specifics of ATM though


                        Fool's Corner Productions: Where we review Video Game, and eventually tabletop RPGs

                        Comment


                        • So, plan on raising my pledge on backerkit up to get the PDFs, which tier would that be? (pledged 25 before and only got 1st eds stuff)

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Gnomeborg View Post
                            Ok, I’ve tried really hard and some things are simply just escaping me. I’m not sure if I missed them in the text, or if the text doesn’t have them.

                            1) Little Mao doesn’t seem to follow a lot of the creation rules. First, when he’s picking his skills, he picks Culture for all three Paths, despite the rule right above the example stating that a skill can only be chosen as part of a path twice. Second, when he’s distributing his attribute dots, the total dots he distributes doesn’t count up to the number of attributes he’s supposed to have. Thirdly, when they show him spending EXP, what he buys with 10 experience points, according to the advancement table, should cost him 65.
                            Yeah, that's my bad. It's earmarked for a fix.

                            2) Do Paths have ratings? The text talks in places about regaining a rating, or rolling a rating, or as ratings go up, but it doesn’t give any indication as to what the ratings are, how one gains ratings in Paths, or what your path Ratings start at. It also says something about rolling your Path for more dots, but there’s no explanation as to what those dots are or do.

                            I’ve got more, but I don’t want to pile on and seem like I’m being negative.
                            Paths in Trinity have ratings, Paths in Scion do not.


                            Neall Raemonn Price
                            Beleaguered Scion Developer

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Neall View Post

                              Yeah, that's my bad. It's earmarked for a fix.


                              Paths in Trinity have ratings, Paths in Scion do not.
                              Yea, I noticed a Lover knack (On Your Side) that also references to the rating (dots) of a calling. It doesn't seem like calling are supposed to have dots either.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Yig1015w View Post

                                Yea, I noticed a Lover knack (On Your Side) that also references to the rating (dots) of a calling. It doesn't seem like calling are supposed to have dots either.
                                Callings actually are supposed to have ratings, since they help determine how many Knacks you can have active at a time. Also they figure into Clash of Wills rolls. But I think a better clarification that at Origins level your Calling level is one (I'm actually almost certain this does exist somewhere in the text, I just can't remember where, so maybe make it a little more obvious) might be good.

                                Also, Flawlessly Platonic Ideal and Master of Arms/Weapons in Creator and Warrior respectively reference Calling ratings too.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X